Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jan 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

This may seem a bit obvious but have you asked him? He may have just been being a teenager or it may be it’s not his kind of holiday and he doesn’t want to go. I think maybe a chat with him would help.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
bex85chelt
Excited about Disney

When we went the first time we had a few teenage tantrums at times when he was tired or fed up of doing what other people wanted. Our DS definitely benefited from having some time to himself to chill out during those times, but overall he loved it and never said he wasnt enjoying himself, just that he didnt want to go shopping! We were with extended family and a younger girl so some things we did werent his cup of tea, we just explained we have to do things for everyone and made sure he knew we were asking him what he wanted to do and doing those things as well.

On our second trip we were a family group of 11 and in the planning stages I made sure everyone had opportunity to tell me there 'must do's' (i actually created a little sheet for everyone with a top 10 of things to do) and we made sure we ticked a few things of everyone's list.

However if he really hadnt enjoyed himself i would of had a talk with him and rest of family about what everyone wanted from our next holiday and that might not be disney / florida. Maybe a universal / beach split stay? Or something completely different?
bex85chelt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Do you do the full range of parks?

It may be a 'Disney' thing. Whilst my boys (multiple visits), absolutely love Universal, DC, Seaworld etc as well as the beaches, they would sooner stick needles in their eyes than do Disney again.

Have you asked your son to compile a list of 'highs' and 'lows' from last time?

Maybe he could compile a list of things that he would like to do?

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
asmidir
Excited about Disney

Thanks everyone for replies so far

I think it's a case of speaking to him and giving him some space so will see...
asmidir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Find what he is interested. In. DS abiding interest at that time was trains. We Amtraked to Lakeland and Winter Park and Greyhounded back! We sourced model railways of which there are many believe it or not.
We had a booklet of lighthouses Inthe area and visited and climbed them, managed to complete most of them
Never devoted all our time to the Parks and never became bored.
Old 21 Jan 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

You could also explore what you might be happy for him to do alone. Part of the frustration of being a teen is having someone else organise you and not being able to do his own thing. If you were happy for him to e.g. have his own room, wake up in his own time and join you in the parks (which from memory he can enter at age 14 unaccompanied?) or even once you are in the parks do your own things and meet up later, he may love the freedom of that. But it’s all about what you are comfortable with.
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

When I was 14 my parents took us on a trip to the USA to San Fran, California and New York. They kept calling it a 'trip of a lifetime' and spent a fortune. I was 14 and the absolute last thing I wanted to do was spend every day with my parents and siblings, trailing around after them doing whatever they wanted to do. Don't get me wrong I didn't hate the whole trip, but if given the choice I might have stayed home! Of course I would feel differently about it now and jump at the chance to go, but being a teen is an awkward time. There is a famous family story about how I 'sulked my way around Alcatraz' because I was in a mood and refused to have the audio guide or engage with anything.

So, I don't totally blame your son if he's being a little awkward. Try and find a way to give him a choice over what he does and let him just chill in the hotel/villa by the pool if he'd rather do that than traipse round a park. After a day to himself he might be much more willing to engage with it.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
A villa where he can have his own space would be great. I agree with others that Florida may just not be his thing but I don't agree about leaving him home (you can't leave a 13 year old by themselves for that long!) and I also don't agree with going somewhere else instead if Florida is what you want to do. My DD (nearly 16) would much reather go somewhere else than Florida (she loves it but would prefer to try new places) but I want to go to Florida so whilst I'm paying I choose where we go. She can explore all the other places she wants to go when she's earning her own money.

He may just be being a teenager though - you could ask him what his perfect holiday would be but he'd still end up having a moan when you got there!
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Every time I read a thread about awkward teenagers I count my blessings. Never had a single moan on any holiday we have taken DD on (she is 15 now). We have always included her in all of our decision making and planning although, quite often, she just says "I don't mind".

As a result of this I'm afraid I can't offer any advice to the OP - sorry. I hope you manage to get some sort of agreement on what the best holiday is for him.
Old 21 Jan 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by asmidir View Post
Our ds turned full teenager last year (he was 13) so getting up every day was a 'pain' and the parks were 'too much walking', and the hotel with multiple pools, lazy river, dining area, games room, was boring ,etc, etc

I was wondering if any of you guys had experienced similar joy and had any tips - these holidays are not cheap and it can get a bit grinding when you're supposed to be enjoying yourselves and I'm not sure he understands how lucky he is!

Maybe a villa with his own space could help? Buy we like the convenience of a hotel, so have not considered it so far. Also thinking about split stay with some time near the sea, like Anna Marie island

Thanks for any replies!
Why not ask him where he wants to go.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread