Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Jan 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
First ever solo trip

I've been to Disneyworld 9 times with family now I'm planning for a solo trip in 2020, staying onsite if I can afford it. Any early planning tips for a solo traveller please? e.g best places to book, how to get cheapest options, what are the great advantages of being on your own, best resort to stay at?
I haven't done anything yet except look at prices on the Disney site and gulp...
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoN21
Apprentice Imagineer

orlandoN21's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
You're going to love it... I'm doing my second solo trip next month and I've probably gone as many times as you before with family. You do what you want... when you want at your own pace. And if you love shopping (like I do) you can spend as much time as you want in one shop without feeling rushed.

The only theme park I'll be going to is Epcot as I haven't been there for over 8 years. On my last solo trip I only went to Kennedy Space Centre as again I hadn't been there for a very long time.
1991 Travelodge Kissimmee / 1996 Holiday Inn I-Drive / 2000+2002 Rosen Centre I-Drive / 2007+2015+solo 2017+ solo Feb2019+solo Dec2019+solo Dec2023+solo June2024 Rosen Plaza I-Drive / 2011 Point Orlando / 2011 Rosen Shingle Creek / 2015 Loews Royal Pacific / solo Feb2019 Hilton Grand Vacations / solo Dec2019 Holiday Inn Disney Springs
orlandoN21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi, I have been many times with my family and once solo. You do miss having someone to say " Wow look at that" to but as OrlandoN21 says you can come and go just as you please, no need to consider what other people want. I booked to stay offsite quite close to the time as the hotel prices came down a bit. They are the biggest drawback to solo trips and almost enough to put you off. Have a great time!
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

I like staying onsite at SSR so I can walk to DS of an evening. Top tip - take a kindle so you can read while having a drink or waiting for something. I believe POR and POFQ are also within walking distance of DS or boat distance.I have done 5 solo trips now and have my 6th at the end of April
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I did my first WDW solo trip in September last year and it was the best holiday I've ever had - I just wish I'd done it sooner but I was too scared to. Just being able to do what I wanted, when I wanted. I'm a fussy eater so didn't have to worry about going to eateries where I might not like the food. I stayed on site - Port Orleans French Quarter - for 14 nights. I'm going on my second solo trip September this year - this time for 10 nights as I'm staying at Beach Club and my funds won't stretch to 14 nights there. I book the hotel and tickets direct with Disney and the flights direct with the airline.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

I went solo for New Years 2017 and stayed onsite at Universal for a few nights (RPR) and then moved to POR for 6 nights. Was initially worried about being solo but to echo what others have said, it was an amazing trip and I'd definitely do it again. I'm going with friends again at the end of April but am actually considering a potential solo trip for New Years again this year. So good to just go with the flow, do what makes you happy and be in the moment.
If it helps I did a trip report - link is in my sig. Happy planning!
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather
Imagineer

After a number of family trips I. did my first solo in 2017 and loved it! I stayed at POFQ and liked that it wasn’t as big as the other resorts, with only one bus stop and boats to DS. I have mobility issues and use an ECV so using Disney transport was a breeze! I loved not having to have long discussions about where to go, what to do and where to eat; I could get up and go whenever I wanted and did my “wow! That was great” using FaceTime (it stopped me missing my daughter too much). I’m going again in May to celebrate my 70th and again it’s a solo trip! Definitely take an e-reader or book with you so that you have something to distract you when having food etc., but people watching is so much fun! Don’t be afraid to talk to people. I actually made some new friends in 2017 and we stay in touch on Facebook (they live in Detroit). However, I have to admit that staying onsite when it’s only one person is seriously expensive and if it wasn’t for the ECV I would probably stay offsite and drive! Hope you have a ball!

Edited at 01:15 AM.
Merryweather is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
chelynnah
VIP Dibber

chelynnah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
I like staying onsite at SSR so I can walk to DS of an evening. Top tip - take a kindle so you can read while having a drink or waiting for something. I believe POR and POFQ are also within walking distance of DS or boat distance.I have done 5 solo trips now and have my 6th at the end of April
Port Orleans is a boat trip from DS, not walking distance. But the boat trip is lovely. If you can afford POFQ it’s my favourite.

Pop also comes highly recommended for a value resort. Being solo obviously resort cost will feel more because you’re not splitting it with anyone. I’ve read several solo trip reports by people who stayed at Pop and they loved their trips.
WDW several trips as a child; WDW 1993 on working vacation; DLP Sept 2003 - Newport Bay Hotel; WDW January 2007 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; DLP Sept 2008 - DLH; WDW/US/BG January 2013 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; WDW/US and MVMCP Nov 2015 - offsite townhouse; DLP Sept 2016 - Hotel B&B; WDW Feb 2017 - POFQ; DLP June 2017 - SL GF; DLP Sept 2017 - NPB CC; DLP Nov 2018 - SL; WDW Feb 2019 - WDW Princess Half POFQ; DLP Sept 2019 - SL & DLH;
chelynnah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

I think you will have a great time - doing what you want when you want, I’d stay onsite at Disney if you can, use there transport to get about
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List