Notices

Old 30 Jul 16, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Our 'Basic' Itinerary!

So, if you have read everything so far - well done! Seriously, huge pat on the back to you.

I have come to realize that I write as I speak - waffley and long!

I'll try to keep the rest of my posts shorter - or at least more entertaining!

Here is a brief, rough itinerary. As I said earlier, we're not a family that runs on set timetables, we prefer to have a lot of flexibility. That being said, there are a couple of things on this trip that are set in stone as they have to be booked. Anyway, I'm waffling again so here it is!

19th September - Fly to Seattle
20th September - Seattle
21st September - Seattle - Boeing Factory Tour - San Juan Island
22nd September - San Juan Island - Shopping - Seattle
23rd September - Seattle
24th September - Depart for San Francisco
25th September - San Francisco - Alcatraz Night Tour (me & Dad)
26th September - San Francisco
27th September - San Francisco
28th September - San Francisco - Collect hire car - Lake Tahoe
29th September - Lake Tahoe
30th September - Lake Tahoe - Drive to Yosemite
1st October - Yosemite - Drive to Las Vegas
2nd October - Las Vegas - KA show (me)
3rd October - Las Vegas
4th October - Las Vegas - Drive to Anaheim
5th October - Anaheim
6th October - Anaheim
7th October - Anaheim
8th October -Anaheim - Drive to Los Angeles
9th October - Los Angeles
10th October - Los Angeles - Fly Home
11th October - Land at Manchester Airport - BOOOOOOO!

There is actually nowhere near as much stuff booked already as I thought thinking about it.

Seattle & San Juan Islands

We have booked everything for the San Juan Islands. Whale watching is booked and confirmed, the hire car is booked, and just last week I booked our return ferry crossing (which appeared to be much more confusing than it actually turned out to be). We haven't yet booked the Boeing tour. Namely because of our ferry booking. You HAVE to book your ferry crossing if you are taking a car. It is not a flexible ticket, if you miss your ferry, you have to rebook another one (if available) at full price. Car spaces are scarce. We can go on as foot passengers, but we will then need taxi's on the island and will have less freedom, plus we will have lost the money from the initial ferry booking. We have overestimated the travel times needed, and have counted the tour into that time. The tour can be prebooked at any point on the drive up there for a discounted price, so the plan is to see how we get on and book on the way up.

Coming home the next day we have an afternoon ferry, and plan to stop at Walmart, Target and (hopefully) Michaels.

Nothing else is booked yet for Seattle, but we want to do the following.
  • Stalking Seattle Grunge Music Tour (me only & needs booking)
  • Space Needle
  • Pike Place Market

There are a few more, but I'm currently in work and I'm drawing a complete blank!

San Francisco

The only thing currently booked for here is the night tour of Alcatraz, which is only for me and my Dad. Mum wants ''to be left in peace with the iPad for a few hours'' her words not ours. Dad wasn't going to come here at all, in fact he said he had already done it so had no interest - secretly he was worried about Mum being left alone (honestly, she is a grown up!) and wanted to go. Luckily, there was still 56 tickets left so I managed to grab him one. We're booked on the early sailing at 5.30, so we can pick mum up and head out to eat afterwards.

Other must do's here are...
  • Bike the Bridge (only me, apparently this is the most hilarious thing my parents have ever heard!)
  • Pier 39 (is that the right number? I seem to get these piers mixed up)
  • Walt Disney Family Museum
  • Lombard Street
  • Ride a Cable Car (they didn't do this last time as my dad was ''being tight'')
  • Fishermans Wharf

Again, this list is not completed by any stretch.

Lake Tahoe & Yosemite

I'm grouping these together here, as really they're much of a muchness in its all scenery, relaxing and long walks. I haven't really done any research here at all yet (other than learning the name Half Dome) so I'm sure more will come here

Las Vegas

The only thing booked here is KA, which is just for myself and free through MyVegas. I've always wanted to see a Cirque show, and whilst I was hoping O would become available, it hasn't. KA wins as the other one that was available was Zoomanity, which seems to be about half naked people doing rudies, so I thought I would give that a miss.

Other things we want to see & do here are...
  • Red Rock Canyon (We were going to try and get a groupon for Scoot City, but we would have to pay for 4 people so it makes more sense to go in the car)
  • Freemont Street - Zipwire too!
  • ALL the rollercoasters (me)
  • Elton or Rod Stewart (if they're on covering Celine)
  • Have a flutter (nothing much but a little gamble)
  • CSI Vegas Experience
  • Wicked Spoon Buffet (the reviews and pictures have me in love with the place)
  • Hoover Dam (only a maybe at the minute)
  • Grand Canyon (We have already done this, so its just a maybe)
  • Calico Ghost Town (for my Dad who loves a Western)
  • Pictures with the Las Vegas sign

I think that's plenty for now, but again, I'm sure there will be more!

Anaheim

We have our Disney tickets already (3 day hopper for me, and 2 day for the parents). This is plenty and gives us all more time to explore other areas.

We are also going to...
  • Visit Universal Hollywood (strange to do this when in Anaheim and not LA, but we really don't want to spend a weekend day there when its super busy, so we figured the quick drive over from Anaheim would be better, and would give us more time in LA)
  • Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party (me)
  • Disney Tour (me depending on funds)

LA

As I've already said, we are only just starting to uncover the delights of LA, and I really wish we had more time there. We have nothing booked for here yet at all, but we're hoping for the following...
  • California Science Centre (to see the space shuttle)
  • Beaches, beaches and more beaches
  • Studio Tour (not sure if it will be WB, Paramount or Sony yet so any suggestions welcome)
  • Garden Grove
  • Farmers Market
  • Rodeo Drive
  • Hollywood Sign
  • Griffith Observatory
  • Beverley Hills
  • Chinese Theathre
  • Walk of Fame
  • That silly new outdoor glass slide (definitely not me!)

If anyone at all has visited any of these places, and has any kind of suggestions, hints, tips etc everything is gratefully received. Everywhere is so completely new to us, and this is definitely a trip we will never replicate ever again, so we don't want to miss anything or come back with regrets

Thanks for reading

Gill xx
Old 30 Jul 16, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Don't go to the Disney Museum in San Francisco on 27th as it's a Tuesday so it will be shut!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 16, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

Cable car museum in San Francisco is worth a visit, ( and it's free!)
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 16, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Chiluly Glass Museum (near Space Needle) is worth a visit in Seattle!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List