Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Oct 10, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
wjd
Imagineer

wjd's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Question Connecting ipod in car (through aux) help

Our new car has a aux jack so we think we need a 35mm cable to get the ipod to work does this also charge the ipod or just allow us to hear the music.

Can anyone recommend one please. Or correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.
Wendy x.

Forget the Prince on a horse, I want a VAMPIRE with a volvo.
wjd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 10, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bigbad
Proud to wear my Ears

Hi

I've just got a new car that has an aux jack, and we got a lead in Maplins. Mine doesn't charge it - just plays it - you'd need the connection in the bottom of the Ipod to charge it (I think), the aux cable plugs in where the headphones would go.

Hope this helps!

Old 26 Oct 10, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucien21
Very Serious Dibber

Lucien21's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Not sure you can do both. Last time I tried charging and playing through the aux cable I got a horrendous buzzing noise.
Lucien21 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 10, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
wjd
Imagineer

wjd's Reviews
Thank you both for your help.

wjd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 10, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
shelly
Imagineer

shelly's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 42
Guidebook Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Bigbad View Post
Hi

I've just got a new car that has an aux jack, and we got a lead in Maplins. Mine doesn't charge it - just plays it
This is what we did, and it doesn't charge it just plays it.
Old 26 Oct 10, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post

aux plugs into the headphone socket but will not charge the ipod, you will also still use the ipod to change the song/ playlist.

You can buy car stereos that will connect to your ipod which have a different connector which will charge your ipod, and you then control your ipod via the car stereo.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 10, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
athurstance
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I have a split connector for my ipod - it has a usb and an aux connector on one end which both plug into the car and then the normal ipod connector at the other end. It plays through the car stereo system and charges my ipod at the same time. You would need the dual input in your car though.

I love it - I like to listen to audio books when I'm driving and they take up far too many CD/DVDs but by using my ipod I can change them and listen to them really easily.
athurstance is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 10, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
wjd
Imagineer

wjd's Reviews
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
This is what we did, and it doesn't charge it just plays it.
Originally Posted by nkotb75 View Post
aux plugs into the headphone socket but will not charge the ipod, you will also still use the ipod to change the song/ playlist.

You can buy car stereos that will connect to your ipod which have a different connector which will charge your ipod, and you then control your ipod via the car stereo.
Thank you both for your help.

Old 26 Oct 10, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
wjd
Imagineer

wjd's Reviews
Originally Posted by athurstance View Post
I have a split connector for my ipod - it has a usb and an aux connector on one end which both plug into the car and then the normal ipod connector at the other end. It plays through the car stereo system and charges my ipod at the same time. You would need the dual input in your car though.

I love it - I like to listen to audio books when I'm driving and they take up far too many CD/DVDs but by using my ipod I can change them and listen to them really easily.
Thank you for your help. I have seen those on the internet, I don't think we have a dual input though, we don't pick the car up until Saturday so I'll have a look then.

I never thought of listening to the audio books in the car great idea I have 4 on my ipod, thank you great idea, I'm going to do that.

Old 26 Oct 10, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

The Aux input is usually a 3.5mm socket, exactly the same as a headphone socket, so you basically need a headphone lead with a plug at both ends. Don't go to maplin, they will charge well over the odds. Try CPC farnell in preston. (though delivery might kick in).
I hate maplin, they do what pc world do and charge you for not really knowing what you're after.
you want a "3.5mm to 3.5mm" jack lead... i've put links below.

Ipods have good enough batteries to not need charging anyway, especially if you have a dock in the house. In the car you only use the same power as you would in the house.

cpc.farnell/jsp/search

maplin
you'll have to tick cables, or scroll through a few pages to get to the leads on the maplin link, but you can hopefully see the price differences.

Some monitors come with these cables if they have speakers fitted. (if you bought an appropriate monitor you might already have a lead, I did !

Edited at 11:06 PM. Reason: added links and a bit more
Thorpy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread