Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Apr 14, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
New York steakhouse recommendations

We're looking at restaurants for our anniversary trip in September, and have decided we'd like to have a decent steak on one of the nights. I seem to be going round in circles though, looking at different review sites. Time to ask Dibbers I think!

I keep reading really good reviews about Keens, but having looked at the photos of the restaurant it seems that lots of the tables are very close together - not exactly ideal for a romantic meal.

I've also seen good reviews for Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, where there seems a lot more room between tables, but something in the back of my mind keeps pointing out to me that it's a chain. Should I let this bother me or just ignore it?

What are people's thoughts? I'm sure some of you have probably eaten at one of these two restaurants. Have you got any other recommendations to add to the list of possibilities?
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 14, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
anneb78
Excited about Disney

I've eaten at Keens, Smith & Wollensky, Peter Lugers and Ben & Jacks. I've never been to Ruth Chris's, so can't comment on that restaurant. Keens was lovely, I don't recall the tables being really close together, but do remember it was busy. I would say that if you are looking to eat at a good steakhouse then they are all going to busy and not really have a 'romantic' atmosphere.

Out of the steakhouses I've eaten at I'd recommend Peter Lugers hands down, I've eaten there 4 times, I love the journey on the subway to get to it, the waiters are lovely guys who mostly have worked there for years, and the steak is melt in the mouth.

Personally, I wouldn't let a chain restaurant put me off if it has good reviews. Another one I have had recommended to me but never tried is Capital Grille (another chain).
anneb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 14, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
BLT Steak. AMAZING!

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 14, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Not been to Ruth's Chris in NYC but I have elsewhere and it was wonderful. I would definitely go again
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 14, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by anneb78 View Post
I've eaten at Keens, Smith & Wollensky, Peter Lugers and Ben & Jacks. I've never been to Ruth Chris's, so can't comment on that restaurant. Keens was lovely, I don't recall the tables being really close together, but do remember it was busy. I would say that if you are looking to eat at a good steakhouse then they are all going to busy and not really have a 'romantic' atmosphere.

Out of the steakhouses I've eaten at I'd recommend Peter Lugers hands down, I've eaten there 4 times, I love the journey on the subway to get to it, the waiters are lovely guys who mostly have worked there for years, and the steak is melt in the mouth.

Personally, I wouldn't let a chain restaurant put me off if it has good reviews. Another one I have had recommended to me but never tried is Capital Grille (another chain).
Glad to hear that you thought that Keens was lovely. I'm not sure that a romantic atmosphere is quite what I meant, but just meant that I wouldn't want to be so close to another table that I can hear their conversation more than I can hear my own.

Have seen that Peter Lugers always gets fab reviews. I just thought that as we are staying in the UWS, we would prefer somewhere a little closer to our hotel.

You've also mentioned other places that I've not heard of so will have to have a look at their menus.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 14, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Hannikins View Post
BLT Steak. AMAZING!
Another one to look into. Am going off for a nose at your trippie, as am sure you must have written about it.
Old 6 Apr 14, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
Not been to Ruth's Chris in NYC but I have elsewhere and it was wonderful. I would definitely go again
Glad to hear another good report - thank you. I can see this decision getting harder, not easier.
Old 6 Apr 14, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Another one to look into. Am going off for a nose at your trippie, as am sure you must have written about it.
I did but I can't remember which day, it's in the index though

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 14, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

Been to Ruth's Chris steakhouse in Seattle, very nice, but Gallaghers is great in NYC.
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 14, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Captain Ethan
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hi, we went to Michael Jordan's steak restaurant, that's in Grand Central Station, amazing food, fabulous location!

Cheryl x