Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 May 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

I really like tc and hope things get better for them. Also hope virgin don't buy them Manchester fares are bad enough as it is.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Quensabob View Post
Don't worry everyone its pointless Thomas Cook have been going for over 100 years and there is still life left in them, threads with unfounded doom and gloom dont help, just make sure your covered for every potential.
The anouncement today was expected and the share price is already recovering!
I don’t think it’s meant to be spreading doom or gloom. It’s about being prepared for all eventualities. I’m more worried about being stranded in the USA. Especially now that Barclays have told me their insurance won’t even cover repatriation if they went bust in the middle of our holiday.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Don't worry everyone its pointless Thomas Cook have been going for over 100 years and there is still life left in them, threads with unfounded doom and gloom dont help, just make sure your covered for every potential.
Woolworths had been going for 150 years, Lehman brothers nearly 200

Where are they today? Previous history is absolutely no guarantee of future solvency
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I always like to be positive but I’m uneasy that the loss of £1.5 billion for half-year is very big for a company that size, although I haven’t looked their balance sheets etc.

Their announcement said that it was mainly caused by people not booking for various reasons including fear of terrorism and uncertainties of Brexit.

To my mind it takes a lot of lost bookings to result in that big a loss. Obviously dependant on the profit margins built into their costings & prices.

Issues might include withdrawal of credit by their bankers, do they lease or own their planes, do they have a good “buffer” of currency already secured before the exchange rates started to fall ?

Anyway these are just my thoughts. With the help of their creditors they might very well be snapped up by another company. Let’s hope so.

Edited at 10:54 AM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
I have paid for my flights with a credit card but the dilemma is paying Disney my balance in June. If I pay with a credit card will that give me cover.
It will give you cover in the event Disney go bust, but it won't cover reimbursement for your hotel if an unrelated transaction (in this case your separately booked flight) suffers the same fate.

You need travel insurance that covers end supplier failure, that will be difficult to get with TC now being in this position as you have to declare (usually it's just in the T&C no one actually asks you explicitly) that you are now aware of any risks to your current plans at the time of taking out the insurance - you can't say this truthfully so any insurance would be void
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Woolworths had been going for 150 years, Lehman brothers nearly 200

Where are they today? Previous history is absolutely no guarantee of future solvency
It also means they have history and something to fight for!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
BigPetesWife
Imagineer

which/consumer-rig...line-goes-bust

This should explain everything you need to know. From what I can gather you have three options:
- try to get insurance that will cover you
- try to make your booking one so that it is ATOL protected which would cover you if they went bust whilst away and get you repatriated
- risk it and hope it doesn't happen, but be prepared to have increased costs if it does and you need to book new flight(s) (you should get your money back though as you paid on your credit card)
BigPetesWife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I always like to be positive but I’m uneasy that the loss of £1.5 billion for half-year is very big for a company that size, although I haven’t looked their balance sheets etc.

Their announcement said that it was mainly caused by people not booking for various reasons including fear of terrorism and uncertainties of Brexit.

To my mind it takes a lot of lost bookings to result in that big a loss. Obviously dependant on the profit margins built into their costings & prices.

Issues might include withdrawal of credit by their bankers, do they lease or own their planes, do they have a good “buffer” of currency already secured before the exchange rates started to fall ?

Anyway these are just my thoughts. With the help of their creditors they might very well be snapped up by another company. Let’s hope so.
The issue I have is all the definitely going under posts when its not the case, they now have additional funding until they sell their airline so they should be fine till next april, lets see then, none of these posts help people who have already booked with them advising them to cover themselves for all eventualities is the best way forward!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

The following comment sounds alarmist but needs to be considered by anyone who feels secure because they’ve paid by credit card.

There is a “grey area” where bookings or purchases are made through a third party.

For example a booking for a flight with XYZ Airlines made through QPR Flight Brokers Ltd and paid by credit card. Your payment is to QPR Brokers but the failure is by XYZ Airlines. Credit card companies have in the past disputed that they are responsible for refunding.

Off the top of my head I don’t know if this situation still exists or had been clarified.

Do any other Dibbers have upto date info ?

I’m off to do some research.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
It will give you cover in the event Disney go bust, but it won't cover reimbursement for your hotel if an unrelated transaction (in this case your separately booked flight) suffers the same fate.

You need travel insurance that covers end supplier failure, that will be difficult to get with TC now being in this position as you have to declare (usually it's just in the T&C no one actually asks you explicitly) that you are now aware of any risks to your current plans at the time of taking out the insurance - you can't say this truthfully so any insurance would be void
Not sure this is really true I think that would only be the case if they were in administration, loads of airlines have issued profit warnings does this mean none will be covered!