Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 May 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
In fairness Simon Calder knows no more about finances of the company than the next man- he isn't a lender, has no idea I assume as to what the booking numbers now are etc. He doesn't know more than those who have lent to the company, who are now offloading their debt (bonds) at 50% value (i.e. taking a big hit to get their money back).
He is a travel journalist who has been constantly popping up and writing stories saying Thomas Cook will likely be fine, which they may be- if they sell the airline.
As to cashflow, TC will now be relying on bookings, people commiting after paying small deposits. I have no idea how that is going but anecdotal evidence to me suggests not well. I'd have booked a cheap LA flight last week, I've decided no. My parents paid £80 deposit on a holiday, they have written it off. My pals who are going to Egypt are trying to book elsewhere.
We will have to see how it all pans out, but my point is because Simon Calder says it's so, certainly doesn't mean it is.
A positive in a way is that it has so much debt, if it can't keep going we may see a debt for equity swap with the lenders taking control.

Bore off.
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
In fairness Simon Calder knows no more about finances of the company than the next man- he isn't a lender, has no idea I assume as to what the booking numbers now are etc. He doesn't know more than those who have lent to the company, who are now offloading their debt (bonds) at 50% value (i.e. taking a big hit to get their money back).
He is a travel journalist who has been constantly popping up and writing stories saying Thomas Cook will likely be fine, which they may be- if they sell the airline.
As to cashflow, TC will now be relying on bookings, people commiting after paying small deposits. I have no idea how that is going but anecdotal evidence to me suggests not well. I'd have booked a cheap LA flight last week, I've decided no. My parents paid £80 deposit on a holiday, they have written it off. My pals who are going to Egypt are trying to book elsewhere.
We will have to see how it all pans out, but my point is because Simon Calder says it's so, certainly doesn't mean it is.
A positive in a way is that it has so much debt, if it can't keep going we may see a debt for equity swap with the lenders taking control.
In fairness he knows as much as you do so based on that assumption, as he’s more involved in travel etc he’s probably more in the “know “ than you ... it hey ho let’s just rain on everyone’s grasp of Hope makes for a much more fun day.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
In fairness he knows as much as you do so based on that assumption, as he’s more involved in travel etc he’s probably more in the “know “ than you ... it hey ho let’s just rain on everyone’s grasp of Hope makes for a much more fun day.
I will grasp any hope with my flight being so soon

Sure noone is daft enough to think that just because Me Calder believes it will be ok that its a guarantee

But being as there is absolutely nothing I can do about the situation at the very least it stops me being too anxious

Edited at 12:06 PM.
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JoJoBell View Post
I will grasp any any hope with my flight being so soon

Sure noone is daft enough to think that just because Me Calder believes it will be ok that its a guarantee

But being as there is absolutely nothing I can do about the situation at the very least it stops me being too anxious
I totally understand. This has been ongoing since last year. I’ve just come back from WDW having flown with TC, got similar responses when I was worried. As you say, nothing you can do about it, there’s always one
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I totally understand. This has been ongoing since last year. I’ve just come back from WDW having flown with TC, got similar responses when I was worried. As you say, nothing you can do about it, there’s always one
Thank you
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Honestly. The only way you will be happy is if you are proved right and lots of people lose money and jobs.

That is terrible.

Simon Calder knows far more than you or I. He has a career and respect in said career. He won’t post anything without being pretty certain things are fine.

I read a month ago that TC airlines already have offers on the table.
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kev Harrison View Post
Honestly. The only way you will be happy is if you are proved right and lots of people lose money and jobs.

That is terrible.

Simon Calder knows far more than you or I. He has a career and respect in said career. He won’t post anything without being pretty certain things are fine.

I read a month ago that TC airlines already have offers on the table.
I have heard they have offers on the table to.

Virgin made on prior to buying FlyBe on the cheap, they may still be interested or they may be too busy integrating FlyBe.

The Chinese owners of a number of budget airlines have also tabled an offer.

I have read about their being other offers too.

So long as the airline raises enough cash then everything will be fine, and frankly I don't even think the people who submitted the bids know how that is going to "pan out" so there is no way we could have anything other than an opinion
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

I haven’t posted on the Thomas Cook threads, too many to keep up with
I have been watching the share prices and a Thomas Cook share chat, saw talk of Triton in talks to buy the Nordic arm of Thomas Cook. This is probably all over the news by now. We fly next summer with Thomas Cook, not overly concerned.
Edit. To the person on whichever of these TC threads said about 8p shares, they are now nearer to 13p

Edited at 02:29 PM.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by anneeb View Post
I haven’t posted on the Thomas Cook threads, too many to keep up with
I have been watching the share prices and a Thomas Cook share chat, saw talk of Triton in talks to buy the Nordic arm of Thomas Cook. This is probably all over the news by now. We fly next summer with Thomas Cook, not overly concerned.
Edit. To the person on whichever of these TC threads said about 8p shares, they are now nearer to 13p
Shares continue to rise, not by a huge amount, but it's something
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by itsmeGAV View Post
Shares continue to rise, not by a huge amount, but it's something
Certainly is if you bought them rock bottom
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List