Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Mar 08, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Spaceship Earth Features Innovative Changes

inline imageSpaceship Earth, the iconic centerpiece of Epcot, has relaunched with changes and refinements installed during more than seven months of construction and detailing in 2007 and early 2008.

Presented by Siemens, the relaunched Spaceship Earth looks on the outside like it did when Epcot opened a quarter century ago. But on the inside, Spaceship Earth has undergone changes that will treat guests to an innovative "interactive" attraction with many new scenes, new costumes and set decorations, new lighting and special effects, a new musical score and narration, and a totally re-themed interactive post-show
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spaceshipearthmono1.jpg
Views:	108681
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	11010  
Old 1 Mar 08, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
On a trip through time inside the Spaceship Earth attraction, guests discover how each generation of mankind has invented the future for the next generation, and how the spirit of innovation has moved people from caves to the cosmos.

During the journey, new scenes depict: a family in the late 1960s viewing the moon landing on television; a massive, two-story computer room of the late 1960s with reel-to-reel-computers; a garage of the early 1970s where the "personal computer" is born; and a "tech tunnel" in which guests become part of a digital data stream.

Even scenes that guests have experienced since 1982 have been touched by the project. "Practically every Audio-Animatronics figure in Spaceship Earth has been updated in one way or another," said Show Producer Bob Zalk of Walt Disney Imagineering. "To make the figures more realistic, they've received a makeover of everything from their hair to their costumes to their movements."

Meanwhile, the makeover of the narration and music benefited from some "star power":
  • The new narration is delivered by English actress Dame Judi Dench, who earned an Oscar as best supporting actress in 1999 for her role in the motion picture "Shakespeare in Love." While Dench delivers the ride vehicle narration in English, guests can also choose five other languages for their vehicle, a Disney "first" -- French, German, Japanese, Portuguese and Spanish.
  • The new musical score was composed by Bruce Broughton, who has won a record 10 Emmy Awards and has been nominated for an Oscar and a Grammy during a career writing in every medium -- from theatrical releases and TV feature films to the concert stage and computer games. A 62-piece orchestra and 24-voice choir brings his latest composition to life.

As the ride-through adventure nears its finish, interactive touch-screens in the ride vehicles light up with a series of questions, soliciting guests' preferences concerning things such as where they'd like to live and work in the future. Then guests are treated to a personalized view of themselves in their idyllic future.

When guests disembark the time travel experience, they are invited to visit "Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow" presented by Siemens, where interactive exhibits bring to life the ideas and technologies Siemens is developing to help make the world a better place for the future. The space is filled with fun, interactive games and displays that showcase innovative technologies. Here, guests step into the world of tomorrow and glimpse the future of medicine, transportation and responsible energy management across the globe. Project Tomorrow includes:
  • Body Builder, a 3-D interactive game that enables users to assemble a digital human body, simulating the Siemens technology developed to perform remote surgeries.
  • Super Driver, a driving simulation video game that showcases motor vehicle accident avoidance systems developed by Siemens.
  • Innervision, a view into the future of medical diagnostics in the home.
  • Power City, a game that demonstrates how to manage power in a growing city.

Epcot is the Walt Disney World discovery park, where guests are immersed in a celebration of both technological accomplishments and international cultural achievements. The 305-acre theme park encompasses two unique worlds -- Future World and World Showcase -- with attractions, shows, entertainment, dining, shopping and architectural wonders. Epcot is part of the 25,000-acre Walt Disney World Resort, near Orlando, Fla. For more information, guests may call 407/824-4321 or visit disneyworld.com.
Old 2 Mar 08, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for posting that Stu - I love this ride and cannot wait to experience the new format.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 08, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
martyboy
Excited about Disney

Damn we were not doing Epcot this year but know!

Madeira Beach Yacht club
martyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 08, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
We had a preview of some of it when we were last there, I actually think it will lose some of the charm it had. As with all things, change can affect different people in different ways.
The new toys in Project Tomorrow were a good improvement on previous attempts, but I'm just not sure about the new narration by Judi Dench.
Old 15 Mar 08, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
kcanderson
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
We had a preview of some of it when we were last there, I actually think it will lose some of the charm it had. As with all things, change can affect different people in different ways.
The new toys in Project Tomorrow were a good improvement on previous attempts, but I'm just not sure about the new narration by Judi Dench.
Realy looking forward to this ,was closed on our last visit know what you mean re the narration just loved the original when he said one day we will leave this planet
Chris
kcanderson is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 08, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post

I wasn't impressed with it really... and I don't think it works with Judi Dench... the touch screens on the vehicles are a waste of time... it's still a good ride to rest your weary legs though
Old 15 Mar 08, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
kcanderson
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
I wasn't impressed with it really... and I don't think it works with Judi Dench... the touch screens on the vehicles are a waste of time... it's still a good ride to rest your weary legs though
Did you like the original ride Linda !
Chris
kcanderson is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 08, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Yeah I did Chris... I just don't think they've done anything to enhance it... lol you might go and love it...I don't know what I expecting of it really... I just thought refurb would be something major... and for me it isn't...
Old 15 Mar 08, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
floridamo
Imagineer

Thanks for the info,Didn't do this ride on our last visit there was a never ending queue ,but its on my list for next year
2005-Nikki Bird Kissimee
2009-Lake Buena Vista Resort & spa
2013-Disney Old Key West Resort
2016-Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019- Disney Animal kingdom Lodge
floridamo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List