Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 12 May 10, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

$ Exchange Rate In The Shops/Restaurants

Hi, we are flying next week and have yet to exchange our money - Not like me to be this disorganised but we've been waiting for the exchange rate to rise a bit.

Does anybody know what the exchange rate is out there at the mo? (Not to exchange for cash but when you pay for something on a credit card). I'm sure on our last visit the shops used to exchange at a couple of cents under what we could get in the UK.

Any info gratefully received

Ali x
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 10, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post

The interbank rate (the one used for cards) today is $ 1.505 but don't forget usage commissions / transactions fees on top.
Actual currency rates are between $1.477 (Fairfx) and $ 1.41 (Post Office)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 10, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
The interbank rate (the one used for cards) today is $ 1.505 but don't forget usage commissions / transactions fees on top.
Actual currency rates are between $1.477 (Fairfx) and $ 1.41 (Post Office)
Thanks Geoff. I'd be using a Santander Zero Card which I think is the best one. Hopefully the High Street exchange rate will go up over the next few days so we can at least take some cash but if necessary I'll use the CC and pay it off as soon as we get back.
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 10, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post

CC are no problem - have you looked at a card that offer sfree or low cost for exchange rates?

Changing actual £ in the USA is an expensive business as you will get a rate more like the $ buy back rate here in the UK.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 10, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by holliefabbabe View Post
the rates in the shops are quite low (for cash purchaces in sterling) 1.34 was seen yesterday ,
Thanks for your reply - this was the kind of reply I was after - I'm not looking for cheap places to eat but thanks anyway I was just wondering what exchange rate is charged against using a credit card.
Old 12 May 10, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
holliefabbabe
slightly serious Dibber

no that is if you wanted to pay cash £ for items , i dont know whats the visa/mastercard rate , best thing is ring fairfx up , tell them when you are going , they might be able to get you are card before you go

cards are better than cash i think , well thats what we have found the last 3 days ,
Old 12 May 10, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

If you have a zero card use it as much as possible as that is the best rate you will get! Always check that you pay in dollars and don't allow the shop to convert as you get a low rate.

All the Atm's seem to be charging $1.5 to $2 per transaction, if you have a no, or low fees card like the nationwide that is still the cheapest way of obtaining cash.

Must go ... off to Bok tower gardens today.
Old 12 May 10, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Col&Ali, there is no exchange rate used by the shops and restaurants. The value of the £ against the $ is nothing to do with them. If you use your credit card, your transaction is in dollars. The exchange rate kicks in when your credit card issuer back home converts the amount spent back into sterling in order to bill you. The rate they charge can vary two or three times in the same day. Plus, some charge a commission.
The conversion rate is on the cautious side at the moment because the £ is so uncertain against the dollar.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 10, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

So basically if you really want to know how much you are paying for goods out there cash or a pre-loaded FairFX card is the best thing?

I do recall being charged all kinds of different rates on the CC last time - that couple of cents per dollar can add up!
Old 12 May 10, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

To guarantee a rate you have to use a pre-pay card as the rate gets locked in at the rate you buy currency at.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread