Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Jul 12, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
XcourtfrasX
Getting Excited

XcourtfrasX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
$$$ and Debit Card?

Hey Dibbers,

So this will be my 7th trip to Disney and Universal and the first time i am taking so much money (Got a job now). I'm planning on taking $1300 but not sure whether to take it all in $$ or part $$ part on Debit card.

As im 17 nearly 18 i'm not really sure what would be best. I won't want to take all the money out with me and therefore don't want to to hide big amounts in the Villa unless it has a safe.

I turn 18 while im overthere so will most likely get more $$. I'm a bit of a shopaholic haha.

I was wondering as well if i took my debit card would i get charged more for withdrawing the cash or just using it in the shops?

Any idea how much i would get charged as well if anyone knows?

Would appreciate your thoughts

Thanks
XcourtfrasX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 12, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Have a look at prepaid card like FairFX, you put the money on whenever and just use it like a normal debit card. You can also top it up whilst your over there if you need to and when your back home you can use it over here too. HTH
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 12, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
XcourtfrasX
Getting Excited

XcourtfrasX's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bexy View Post
Have a look at prepaid card like FairFX, you put the money on whenever and just use it like a normal debit card. You can also top it up whilst your over there if you need to and when your back home you can use it over here too. HTH
I looked into the FairFX card and was one of my options but it said you had to be 18 so don't think im able to do it even though i turn 18 5 days into the holiday
XcourtfrasX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 12, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Part cash, around $200 remembering to take change for tolls, then use Postcard Travel Money card, honestly its fantastic. If you lose it or it gets stolen they get another to you in 24 hours, you can load as much as you like on whenever you like, you can be any age. Get there, withdraw as much as you want to or use it like a Mastercard. I use it every time, eliminates the fear of losing your cash or having it stolen.
Old 19 Jul 12, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
tinksmum
slightly serious Dibber

tinksmum's Reviews
try not to take all cash - i know to our cost we had all our stolen once - different banks charge different rates so check with your branch, but what ever you do have a great spend up! and enjoy
tinksmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 12, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
XcourtfrasX
Getting Excited

XcourtfrasX's Reviews
Originally Posted by ghostmark2005 View Post
Part cash, around $200 remembering to take change for tolls, then use Postcard Travel Money card, honestly its fantastic. If you lose it or it gets stolen they get another to you in 24 hours, you can load as much as you like on whenever you like, you can be any age. Get there, withdraw as much as you want to or use it like a Mastercard. I use it every time, eliminates the fear of losing your cash or having it stolen.
Thank you the travel money card looks great will look into that more. Thanks for the help
Old 19 Jul 12, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Debit cards are usually the worst due to charges, especially if you take money out at an ATM. Check with your bank first

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 12, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by XcourtfrasX View Post
I looked into the FairFX card and was one of my options but it said you had to be 18 so don't think im able to do it even though i turn 18 5 days into the holiday
If you get one through friends and family you only have to 14. Your Mum would have to get one in her name, then apply for the friends and family which would generate your card.

Quote from their site..

The card works a bit differently to your normal FairFX card: to add funds to the card, you move them from an existing card rather than through a top-up. Both cards do have to be in the same currency, but if you have multiple cards in the same currency you can use any of them. You can also move funds back from your Family and Friends Card to any of the other cards you have, just as long as they are in the same currency.Please note: Family and Friends cards cannot be used to share funds in India

The card will have the cardholders name on it, rather than the account holders name, and will be delivered to the account holder's address.

The Family and Friends Cards are £6 each. Like standard FairFX cards, they are valid for 2 years from when they are issued.
Old 19 Jul 12, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
cat
Dibbing with Tink

Travellers cheques + a hundred in cash or so to get you started. Easy to budget as you have them in your hand and easy to spend in Disney and Universal, just use like cash but with the additional security that you can get them replaced should they get stolen etc.
cat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 12, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Age is a killer for you regarding cards etc so your best option is likely to be TC's and a bit of cash (under whatever your insurance allows).

All cash is a bad bad idea.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread