Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Jan 18, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post

We will see, if I've paid money to pre book seats that someone else's family end up sitting in. This will be the 1st and last time I fly with virgin. At no point was I told or have I read anywhere that I'm only paying to state my preference... we will see. Have a fabulous day all 😊😊
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I always pay to choose my seat because I travel solo and don’t want to be slotted into a gap that nobody else wants.

Whilst I would obviously move in the case of an emergency, I would refuse if it was to accommodate a group who hadn’t paid for the choice.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post

I've found the terms and conditions and I'm okay with them. We booked through a travel agent and they referred to the seats as pre booked rather then pre allocated so did not realise there was a chance we may not get our seats ..but hey ho what will be will be. I realise that there might not be much I can do about it. virgin will not be in my top 3 to fly with again tho
Old 24 Jan 18, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
debs2028
Imagineer

I think the time has come for all airlines to seat children under 12 with parents and pre allocate these prior to flight ( think BA does this?)
Families who want specific seats or do not want to be seperated by an aisle or have children in front / behind would still need to pay to reserve seats . Families with children over 12 would still need to pay or take the chance at online check in .
debs2028 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
stanboys
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Surely the moral of this tale is if seats together are important to you, check and double check your boarding cards as well as on line.
While the above is a good point, and as I said in the post hind sight is a wonderful thing. Even if I had checked at the desk there is nothing to say I wouldn't have been told she couldn't do anything and I'd have to wait until boarding (which is something I have heard happen!).

I think you missed the point if that's all you got from the post though! 🙂
stanboys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

whilst I would prefer to sit with my DH on the flight I spend more than 10 hours away from him at work and could do it if needed. I would rather spend the money in Florida :-)
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by buzzing2go View Post
I've found the terms and conditions and I'm okay with them. We booked through a travel agent and they referred to the seats as pre booked rather then pre allocated so did not realise there was a chance we may not get our seats ..but hey ho what will be will be. I realise that there might not be much I can do about it. virgin will not be in my top 3 to fly with again tho
If the only reason for relegating VA is the non guarantee of seats then all other airlines will be joining them there. No airline guarantees seats and they all have similar wording to VA that you agree to (or your agent does on your behalf) at the time of selection
Old 24 Jan 18, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Tel69
Trying for More Ears

We've done 2 previous trips with our 3 young kids and never paid for or selected seats. We've always had a 3 and a 2 in front and never had a problem.
Tel69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Didn't mean to cause ruptions lol.

Well I have booked today. Not paid extra to select seats... yet.

Time will tell.

MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Bentley
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Wooden Top View Post
I can only dream of being separated from my 3 kids on a 9 hour flight. Unfortunately we are always put together :-)
We flew Thomson last May. Unable to book seats as we booked very last minute.

They put my husband and I together, in an extra leg room exit row then my 3, 11 & 13 year old 6 rows in front, I wouldn’t have been able to see them from my seat. I did briefly consider sitting with my husband but gave my seat to my eldest. Although, technically I don’t think she should have been in the exit row, however at check in they told me she was classed as an adult!