Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 May 17, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post

In all our times flying to Florida we have never paid to select our seats but that's because the last time we flew in 2014 VA weren't charging and you could choose your seats 60 days out. Now it's different so I have paid to select our seats. The reasons being; the earliest I could do seat selection as a flying club member would be 72hrs out and I have visions of us being left with seats at the back of the plane, and secondly, and most importantly, I simply can't take the risk of our 10yo DD and 5yo DS sitting apart from us. The only way I can qwell the worry is to pay for seat selection (as much as it pains me) so I'm now £120 lighter. I know in the grand scheme of the overall cost it's nothing but it doesn't stop me feeling resentful that in order to have peace of mind I've had to pay for it.

Edited at 07:17 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Boyle73
Imagineer

It's a very emotive subject and a quick search on the forum will show you people who don't pay and are seated together, those who do pay and still don't get seated together and people who choose to pay and get their seats.

The reality is how would you feel to check in whether at home 72 hours before or at the airport and find your child won't be sat next to you?

If you don't like this thought then you need to pay for your seats!

People won't move now days, why should they, it's your choice to make, no one else's.
Boyle73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I wouldnt chance it, we flew with Virgin last August, we thought not paying the extra and ended up with terrible seats. Three of us nearly at the back and two behind in the isle, my ife didnt work but they gave me a ipad! I had some odd man sitting next to me tying to fix my tv screen when it wouldnt work. I would pay and get seats by the window next time x
Old 2 May 17, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
ukman
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We are a family of 7 and have never paid. I just think it's airline prying on us customers for that extra pound, like we are not paying extortionate fare prices already.
ukman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
andyhen
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

andyhen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I still prefer the idea that first to book get first to pick seats. if you book late and can see you won't be sat together then live with it or look for another flight. I get the money making side of it but I reckon you'd get people booking early and would certainly be a fairer way and less stress for passengers and staff.
andyhen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
minshus
Excited about Disney

It doesn't matter if you pay for seats or not. I paid for seats for our last flight with Virgin, this was when the seats were released.

Fast forward 11 months. At check in l discovered that the seats l booked and paid for had been given to somebody else, even though l had a print out of the seat reservation.

The person who had been given my seat refused to give them up. Virgin customer service was shocking. My wife and children we're upstairs in the economy bubble, and l was down stairs in the economy seats. So it doesn't matter if you book seats and pay for them, they can give you whatever seats they want.
minshus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
emzmommy
Earning More Ears

Mobile

So in answer to the op, it seems you are not too fussed if you are separated and your child is sat away from you. It's not for me to judge - however in the scheme of things with kids the same age... I 100% have no problem paying £150 on a 10,000 holiday. It's nothing and I factor it in with the flight costs. I personally would not have my children sat away from me - not in a million years having experienced horrible turbulence and landings. My children my responsibility, my babies regardless of age and apart from that - I love chatting to my wee boy who's 8 <3 and nine hours is a long flight.
In answer to your question ... I was in the mco queue where parents were screaming at the check in staff to have them all sat together. Totally embarrassed themselves - if you want to be sat together it pays to pay 😉[/QUOTE]

I never said i didnt want to be apart from my daughter i actually said my hubby isnt bothered about being away from us as long as one of us is with our daughter i never leave her with anyone so why would a plane full of strangers be any different!

Thank you to everyone for your input i dont think i will risk it just in case and i will add it to the holiday shortly!

Thank you again
emzmommy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

You could keep checking online to see how many seats are still available? We (2 adults) haven't paid for seats, we go next week and have been checking every weeks since we booked and there are still a lot of seats available. We have joined the flying club and will book them 72hours before.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by emzmommy View Post
So in answer to the op, it seems you are not too fussed if you are separated and your child is sat away from you. It's not for me to judge - however in the scheme of things with kids the same age... I 100% have no problem paying £150 on a 10,000 holiday. It's nothing and I factor it in with the flight costs. I personally would not have my children sat away from me - not in a million years having experienced horrible turbulence and landings. My children my responsibility, my babies regardless of age and apart from that - I love chatting to my wee boy who's 8 <3 and nine hours is a long flight.
In answer to your question ... I was in the mco queue where parents were screaming at the check in staff to have them all sat together. Totally embarrassed themselves - if you want to be sat together it pays to pay 😉
I never said i didnt want to be apart from my daughter i actually said my hubby isnt bothered about being away from us as long as one of us is with our daughter i never leave her with anyone so why would a plane full of strangers be any different!

Thank you to everyone for your input i dont think i will risk it just in case and i will add it to the holiday shortly!

Thank you again[/QUOTE]

Huge Apologies - I mixed up your post with another I read . I Definitely feel the same as you

Edited at 09:30 AM.
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post

We went with Virgin a few weeks ago. I was unable to check in online so called them 24hrs before departure. As our party of 9 had 2 under 12's travelling they had already pre-allocated 3 seats for them and a parent all together, and when I called they allocated us the rest of the row even though we weren't able to check in online.
Don't worry they will sit one of you with your child.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List