Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Nov 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

If I was after a standard package type Orlando holiday, off site and outside of the School Hols, then I guess that I would leave it late.

If I was after a standard 'in the bubble' dining plan type Disney vacation, either in or out of school hols, then I would book early for reasons already well stated by others.

If I was looking at off site and in School Hols, then it would be an early booking also.

I book multi city vacations, in school hols and with a lot of driving, trains or internal flights. I want to see a lot of America as opposed to just Orlando. Orlando is generally just a part of a larger whole and never includes Disney in any case. It is also DIY. I am looking to book my long hauls shortly after release and then building the vacation around whatever flights I get. Having paid 'up front' for my flights, I then buy into the rest as and when I have a cash surplus. I am currently 8 months out and have booked everything but two x internal flights. I simply don't want to leave it late, late, late as I clearly have a lot of planning and research to do. (Which I greatly enjoy).

So the answer is... it depends what sort of vacation you intend buying.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:35 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
corey1
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Recently flights were available for around £300 return in July 2019 which is a fantastic price and I don't imagine you would get them cheaper last minute. Also got free dining with Disney and gift card. Can relax now knowing that everything is booked and can start planning.
corey1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
If I was after a standard package type Orlando holiday, off site and outside of the School Hols, then I guess that I would leave it late.

If I was after a standard 'in the bubble' dining plan type Disney vacation, either in or out of school hols, then I would book early for reasons already well stated by others.

If I was looking at off site and in School Hols, then it would be an early booking also.

I book multi city vacations, in school hols and with a lot of driving, trains or internal flights. I want to see a lot of America as opposed to just Orlando. Orlando is generally just a part of a larger whole and never includes Disney in any case. It is also DIY. I am looking to book my long hauls shortly after release and then building the vacation around whatever flights I get. Having paid 'up front' for my flights, I then buy into the rest as and when I have a cash surplus. I am currently 8 months out and have booked everything but two x internal flights. I simply don't want to leave it late, late, late as I clearly have a lot of planning and research to do. (Which I greatly enjoy).

So the answer is... it depends what sort of vacation you intend buying.
I would argue that by booking this type of holiday and getting your flights so far in advance you are paying a premium for you additional planning time.

I have been to the US probably 40 or 50 times and Orlando 3 so we do similar trips, we went to Denver in October and flew back from lax super trip,
. We booked flights at then end of August for October half term we paid £960 for three including luggage and seat reservations direct out decent 1 hour all over on the way home. Loooked at similar flights for next year and now coming in at that each,
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I would argue that by booking this type of holiday and getting your flights so far in advance you are paying a premium for you additional planning time.

I have been to the US probably 40 or 50 times and Orlando 3 so we do similar trips, we went to Denver in October and flew back from lax super trip,
. We booked flights at then end of August for October half term we paid £960 for three including luggage and seat reservations direct out decent 1 hour all over on the way home. Loooked at similar flights for next year and now coming in at that each,
I think it depends.

We wanted London-Boston on 18 July and Florida to London on or about 08 August. 3 adults and a 12 year old.

We got the Boston one at £255 with Norwegian plus £25 to select seats (including exit row)

We got Fort Lauderdale to London on 9 August for £256 plus £50 for seats, meals and hold baggage.

£586 return is pretty good for high summer and with 2 exit row plus 2 normal seats each way and in a Dreamliner, direct.. Whilst I might have beaten it later, it wouldn’t have been by much

This then freed us up to book with certainty, AMTRAC, Hotels in Boston, NY, Dayton Oh, I Drive and Royal Pacific plus a villa for 11 days and also specific date for D.C. I wouldn’t have wanted to wait until last minute on all that. I can now book NY flights to Dayton and also flights from Cincinnati to MCO at my leisure, likewise a hire car in Dayton and a further one in Orlando.

If I hadn’t got the deal on those flights, then I had alternative plans involving Detroit, Buffalo, Chicago etc.

Edited at 09:07 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 06:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

It is of course what works for you pal and I completely understand that when you book complicated multi city, multi transport trips you need to have time to get it all in place and yes that is a great price. I booked the other year in January for August and got s great deal (1280 ish for three retun to MIA and Ford Edge for three weeks) and as I said this year we booked 8 weeks in advance and got s great deal.

There are many in here that seem to want to book the date flights are released or before to MCO and pay a huge premium for that and again as long as they know that it’s fine. I also guess that somone who books two weeks to Disney flys to mco gets picked up by Dme stays in site and then reverses ina fortnight is probably more likely to be prepared to pay more to know it’s all booked 15 months ahead and again as long a seat they know they are paying more that is cool.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
It is of course what works for you pal and I completely understand that when you book complicated multi city, multi transport trips you need to have time to get it all in place and yes that is a great price. I booked the other year in January for August and got s great deal (1280 ish for three retun to MIA and Ford Edge for three weeks) and as I said this year we booked 8 weeks in advance and got s great deal.

There are many in here that seem to want to book the date flights are released or before to MCO and pay a huge premium for that and again as long as they know that it’s fine. I also guess that somone who books two weeks to Disney flys to mco gets picked up by Dme stays in site and then reverses ina fortnight is probably more likely to be prepared to pay more to know it’s all booked 15 months ahead and again as long a seat they know they are paying more that is cool.
But you assume they’re paying more. In the main these are not like for like holidays. If I waited until 8 weeks before I’d have to compromise on both flights and accommodation. I think it’s clear from this (resurrected) thread that people who book in advance have greater choice and flexibility than those who book last minute. You’re comparing apples and oranges.

It’s also worth pointing out that often people start booking in advance but when you do DIY you book as you see a good deal. So elements are booked gradually. At least that’s what I do. So the choice and flexibility of booking well in advance but with a price that suits.

Edited at 07:37 AM.
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
razorsharp192
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
But you assume they’re paying more. In the main these are not like for like holidays. If I waited until 8 weeks before I’d have to compromise on both flights and accommodation. I think it’s clear from this (resurrected) thread that people who book in advance have greater choice and flexibility than those who book last minute. You’re comparing apples and oranges.

It’s also worth pointing out that often people start booking in advance but when you do DIY you book as you see a good deal. So elements are booked gradually. At least that’s what I do. So the choice and flexibility of booking well in advance but with a price that suits.
I'm not seeing where there is a difference for flexibility and choice (atleast not when you don't have to plan around school holidays, appreciate that makes booking more restricted so you'd have to book early).

For us, for example, we know where we want to stay (AKL) and the date we want to go, so whether I book it now or leave it until later i'll still have the same holiday, only booking later i'll get it cheaper. Yes i'll miss out on any free dining or free night offers, but the cost saving of booking later will outweigh any of those "offers" anyway. If i'm missing something please let me know, as I'll book it now if it works out cheaper!
razorsharp192 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Absolutely in advance. Always works out cheaper for us!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I almost always book way in advance,for no other reason than I like to be booked! I'm booked for next Christmas already and still have this years Christmas trip and a cheapy I booked for May to come. Maybe we might have got next years cheaper by waiting,but maybe not!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
hallamdisneyfan
Earning More Ears

Hi razorsharp.
Because WDW/Universal/Florida is expensive and if cost is your main priority then you probably can't really afford to go.
We booked hotels and flights eleven months before to be sure of getting what we want - we wanted to stay onsite somewhere where we are guaranteed three separate sleeping spaces (we've got Old Key West resort booked for 10 nights in July and then a tower 2bed suite at Cabana Bay for the next seven nights). We wanted to be sure to get seats we wanted on the flights we wanted and we wanted to be sure to get tickets for when we want (Discovery cove you have to select a date and there are limited ticket numbers).
I don't want to overspend if I can get a good deal, but my priority is having a fantastic time. This may be our last holiday with the kids before the eldest flies the nest and so we want it to be a very special one.
I got flights and hotels at a price I'm happy with and I've stopped looking at those costs, except for car-hire and dining and I'm not yet at 180 days to book dining.
What works for you is fine, but I'm not a big risk taker - if I hadn't booked I would worry that my first choices would be gone, so booking early works for me
hallamdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List