Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jul 18, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Please dont risk drinking under the age. Its not like in the UK were they will slap your hand, they take it very seriously. If caught, the least you will get is a warning for both the minor and adult. This will affect any future trips to the US as you risk your ESTA being denied. I have heard of someones ESTA being rejected as an adult because they received a warning for underage drinking in the US several years prior.
An adult is likely to be punished harder as they are providing a minor alcohol.

The legal drinking age in Florida, even in a private home, is 21.

Hopefully all the warning you have received so far will ensure you realise how much they take underage drinking seriously in the US.

INFO
----

Pursuant to the Florida Statutes §562.111(1), it is unlawful for a person under the age of 21 to be in possession of alcohol in Florida. It is important to understand that violation of this law only requires mere possession, not the actual drinking or consumption of alcohol.

Accordingly, if you are under the age of 21, simply holding an unopened alcoholic beverage is enough to be found in violation of this law.

It is also important to note that unlike some other states, Florida law does not allows parents to authorize their children under the age of 21 to possess or drink alcohol when under their supervision.

For a first offense, underage possession of alcohol is a second degree misdemeanor and is punishable by up to 60 days imprisonment and a fine up to $500.

f you are convicted for underage possession of alcohol in Florida, you will have a permanent criminal record that may hinder your future educational and employment opportunities.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Also in case any one wasn't aware if you get asked in the UK for ID and you cannot supply any then you cannot buy alcohol here eif6her. The shop/bar staff have to refuse you even though some don't follow these rules so end up breaking the law themselves.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Off at a tangent here, but we thought ds10 wouldn’t be allowed in the Walmart liquor store, but he was. He obviously didn’t handle the alcohol, but they didn’t object to him being there, is this normal? They also didn’t id me must look old!,

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
anniewomble
Helping Minnie

Thanks, daughter definitely won't be drinking! Just didn't want to take original passports to the parks in case they are lost or get wet, so a picture of passport on our phones is enough, me and my husband have our plastic drivers licences so we can bring those too but my son doesn't drive, will a picture of his passport be enough?
anniewomble is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
Off at a tangent here, but we thought ds10 wouldn’t be allowed in the Walmart liquor store, but he was. He obviously didn’t handle the alcohol, but they didn’t object to him being there, is this normal? They also didn’t id me must look old!,
This is normal - theres no problem kids going in the Walmart liquor store... i expected them not to be allowed so asked when i first went in, the staff member just said its fine as long as they dont touch anything
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by anniewomble View Post
Thanks, daughter definitely won't be drinking! Just didn't want to take original passports to the parks in case they are lost or get wet, so a picture of passport on our phones is enough, me and my husband have our plastic drivers licences so we can bring those too but my son doesn't drive, will a picture of his passport be enough?
I am many years older than legal drinking age, and I do not drive either. I do have a photo provisional licence (from my attempts at driving, sadly all failed) so I am taking that and a photo of passport on phone. I was advised on here that photo of passport alone isn't enough, it would need to be original passport, which I don't wish to carry around with me.

So, either your son would need to take his original passport or some other photographic government id and pic of passport.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
anniewomble
Helping Minnie

Thanks, son does have a provisional licence as he has been using this as ID whilst at Uni as he constantly gets asked. None of us had any alcohol on our last trip in 2013 (obviously kids were all under age then anyway) but just in case we fancy it, we will come prepared! The cocktails in Pandora, the glow ones sound quite nice. Does anyone have any recommendations for anything else to try?
anniewomble is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
lolalolo86
Imagineer

My over 60 father in law got asked at Big River Grille and he thought the waitress was pulling his leg. Refused point blank to serve any alcohol. Imagine my smug face when I produced my driving license and photo of passport on my phone so I could get a drink...he thought that was a silly idea and not needed because he was clearly over 21!

Off Disney property though a driving license was sufficient for ID.
lolalolo86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks, son does have a provisional licence as he has been using this as ID whilst at Uni as he constantly gets asked. None of us had any alcohol on our last trip in 2013 (obviously kids were all under age then anyway) but just in case we fancy it, we will come prepared! The cocktails in Pandora, the glow ones sound quite nice. Does anyone have any recommendations for anything else to try?
I don't usually drink much on a Disney holiday, as the cost is so high for alcohol and I am happy to drink soft drinks. However, with a drink included on the dining plan now, I will have one with some meals (rude not to 😀 ). So the provisional licence can stay in my bag just in case I am asked. I am travelling with my daughter who will be 18 on the holiday, so I do not look under 21 but random ID check can happen to anyone in the US.

My DD doesn't like alcohol so the fact that it is her 18th while we are there and she can't drink is not an issue for her at all. Lots of people have said 'oh no, she won't be able to drink on her 18th' as if it is the most important thing on her 18th, she is in DISNEY WORLD 😀 I am sure she will have a great time without alcohol 😊
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Some people have found places in Disney will not take UK driving licences, only passports.

Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List