Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Sep 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

A Week With A Duff Leg

Just under 3 weeks to go and I can’t walk more than a 100yds without having to sit down. We are only doing universal and staying at HRH so I wondered if anyone has had a similar experience (recovering from a snapped Achilles). Any tips would be appreciated- already got some On volcano bay. Can you also take a walking stick on the plane ?
blades is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 18, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Hodders
Very Serious Dibber

Hiring wheelchairs out there is so easy at the parks, albeit expensive.

We did it for my son after a day at the water parks and he scrapped the bottom of his feet and couldn’t walk. We didn’t want to write off a days holiday and stay by the pool, plus we were with friends.
Hodders is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 18, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Yes you can take a walking stick on the plane. I recommend you a "pegleg"
It was a godsend when I broke my ankle. peglegs/
Old 30 Sep 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Fenland girl
Very Serious Dibber

Fenland girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Definitely hire an electric mobility scooter. We had to do this one year after my husband burst his heel pads in a beer fuelled act of stupidity (as you can tell I have totally gotten over it now ...). There are lots of suppliers and they deliver to your hotel. They are incredibly easy to use and quick/easy to charge. The four wheeled varieties are more stable, and if you plan to hire a car, make sure the scooter folds down (although you will probably have to upgrade the car to a people carrier). Let the hotel know you have one and they will factor this in when allocating your room. Be warned, for some of the rides at Universal you will need to transfer into a manual wheel chair and have someone push you. My husband still owes me for having to push him up countless ramps to get to the loading area of hulk.

So many people in the parks use these scooters that no one will give you a second glance.
Fenland girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 18, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
A snapped Achilles - ouch, are you sure you should be travelling with that
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 18, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Yep I have we went to Tennessee to spend times with friends who live in the smokies before going to the villa wecall went white water rafting
( our insurance covers this ) I was so dertermine I was not coming out of the boat ( water snakes big snake phobia ) and them indoors knowing we were insured decided as our friends organise raft trips we'd do the big rapids I didn't come out the boat but snapped mine on my right foot as you have to jam your feet inthe side of the boatan emergency room visit on route insurance contacted
No problem at all special custom fitted boot to my knee
First time I used a wheel chair in the parks ( unfortunately not the last due to my Lupus and Fibro )
We used the normal que when possible or the wheelchair/evc que or the crutches I got in resturants or for a short transfer to a ride
Chair and crutches were always waiting when I got off yes some rides had to stop,for me to load Spave ship earth Flight of passage buzz etc
But it didn't stop,us we were business on the way home so that wS fine but I'd not even consider flying with out extra led room at least
It took almost a year of daily physio exercise and ultra sound to sort all,in a support boot

Edited at 09:53 PM.
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

Definitely hire either a mobility scooter or a wheelchair, but don't get one from the parks, it's much cheaper from one of the sites mentioned in the special needs site.

Also contact your airline for special assistance, which they will arrange to get you through the airport and to/from the plane- its invaluable as airports are really big places when you've got mobility problems.

I've used a wheelchair or scooter for the last 10 years and the parks have been really accommodating. You do need to either swap from the scooter to a wheelchair or the wheelchair onto the ride, and some like HP Forbidden Journey and Rip Ride Rocket can stop the ride or use different cars so you can get in easier.
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 18, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Absolutely hire a mobility scooter but not from the parks. I use Walker Mobility. They are good havevalways been reliable and about mid way as far as cost is concerned. Hiring from a park every day is very expensive indeed. Talk to your airline about assistance. They will arrange a wheelchair at both airports. You can take a walking stick on the plane. Good luck
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 18, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

Hope you're sorted insurance wise
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 18, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What can I say.

A Duff leg and going to Universal.

Surely its obvious.

Just sit outside Moe's bar with a Duff beer and enjoy watching the crowds go by
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List