Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 4 May 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I am the opposite never stayed onsite, except at Paris. Too many options offsite to eat that are better value. Can be done without a car, for smaller groups or without kids, but I love the freedom of offsite with a car go where you want when you want.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

TBH, if your holiday revolves around food - you will be much better off as you can do much better outside Disney.
Disney food is over rated and over priced.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

We are a family of 5 and we now do a split stay, shorter time onsite due to space and freedom.
We love it onsite and off site but if push cane to shove we would rather do a villa.
The space, the freedom and your very own pool is just great!
Our kids love going to Publix, target or Walmart (whichever is closest) and choosing breakfasts, treats, snacks & ice creams for in the villa. We sometimes get Publix sandwiches, crisp & fruit and sit round the pool while snacking away.
My husband loves driving a big, automatic car over there and for meals we love;
Cheesecake Factory
Millers Ale house
Carrabbas
Smokey bones
We still eat at Rainforest cafe at AK
Will you be doing universal? If so we loved margarita ville last year and cow fish
On some evenings we all snuggle up on the sofa with a mountain of treats and watch a movie, most villas living area look out into the pool so we put the pool lights on and it’s just perfect!
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Bonjovi
slightly serious Dibber

We would recommend: Bahama Breeze (mid range, good choices), Millers Ale House (loads of food for a good price), Bonefish Grill (up range, nice treat)
Old 4 May 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
jojo50
I have Ears

Although only two adults and two kids, DH found the on-site experience a bit 'Disney intense'! He also felt the dining plan took over at times as we had to be in certain places at certain times etc. So, for not the same reasons as you, we found ourselves in a villa. I was worried that it wouldn't feel like a proper holiday as I wasn't in a hotel and the atmosphere would be missing. However, we all loved it - me most of all! The kids had their own bedrooms and bathrooms, we all loved the pool and it was a really lovely place to be at the end of a busy day. We chopped and changed what we did with food each day, but found some great places to eat - whether we were looking at breakfast, lunch or dinner.

This was a few years ago now and they haven't been with us on our last couple of trips to Florida (me a DH now do a week in Orlando and two weeks on Anna Maria Island). I asked them what their favourite things were about our holidays and they said: the pool in the villa, Discovery Cove, trips to the beach, Universal and Typhoon Lagoon. You know your family best and as we all know, if they're happy, we're happy! Enjoy your trip.
jojo50 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We've never stayed on site nor do we eat much at WDW (resorts or parks) but I did put my head above the parapet a few months ago by asking, if you're not on DDP, is a Yachtsman $50 fillet steak twice as good as a Longhorn $25 fillet steak.

If it was, I ventured to add, then the fillet steaks at Ruth's Chris at San Fran a few years ago must be three times better at $148. I know for a fact it wasn't.

We've been fans of Longhorn since we discovered them at Longboat Key way back in 2003.

Not just Longhorn though. Similar priced if you want fish at Red Lobster or Bonefish Grill and similar priced for Italian at Carrabba's. Naturally you have Manny's at Haines City. Then there's loads of other mid-price options such as Bob Evans, Millers, Cracker Barrell. Even if you fancy a burger then Culvers is a much better choice than the golden arches.

Mick

Edited at 09:37 AM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
thesorcerer
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Ovation, Olive Garden.. there are some great eateries! Places to visit... where to begin, Kayaking, National Parks, coast, other parks. So much to do beyond Disney. We had a Christmas on resort then moved to an apartment. I swear the relief was tangible.

Sunridge Woods, Davenport. 2010
Disney Wilderness Lodge Christmas 2014
Vista Cay Apartments 2014
Sunridge Woods... again. 2017
Singapore 2019 (Universal, Whoop, Whoop)
Disneyland Hotel DLP (CANCELLED)
"Ooo-oooo! Big summer celebratory blowout" 2022
thesorcerer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Eat what you want when you want, what more could you want than that.
This booking your restaurant at 6 months is nuts !

We love off-site and have moved away more and more from Disney now and even go on occasion without doing Disney ! 😱😱
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Maddox
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

One thing is for sure your holiday is going to be amazing either way. We stayed in a village on our last trip and the one thing the kids look forward to is food shopping they love picking out their cereals (lucky charms) and treats. One of their favourite memories is having a meetball sub from subway pool side😊 we still had character meals at Disney and enjoyed them too. I love off site it's the best of both worlds😉
Maddox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by thesorcerer View Post
Ovation, Olive Garden.. there are some great eateries! Places to visit... where to begin, Kayaking, National Parks, coast, other parks. So much to do beyond Disney. We had a Christmas on resort then moved to an apartment. I swear the relief was tangible.
Forgot all about Ovation down at Posner.

Just to add that we've stayed in a four bed villa for the last 15 or so trips. Just the two of us and hotels simply can't match the freedom and space. Own pool and spa, one bedroom just for shopping acquisitions, go in and out as often as you please for cold drinks, snacks and coffees. Choice of four loos.

Mick