Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jun 19, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
k1971
Excited about Disney

Thomas Cook Special Assistance For Autism

We've requested special assistance for our MAN-MCO flights, due to my recently diagnosed ASD (and elder DD is awaiting diagnosis).
We've asked for a quiet area if required and and priority boarding; I also have a weighted blanket which I find really helpful, which I've asked to be allowed to bring into the cabin as extra. I'm not sure whether they'll permit this (it's 8 Kg)

Never having used Special Assistance before, I'm not sure how it works. I'd find being challenged by staff at every step and having to explain more stressful than trying to cope with the sensory difficulties, which I have just about managed previously though it makes me unable to concentrate on the flight as a result of the adrenalin/anxiety etc.

Does anyone have any experiences - good or bad - that they can share so I have a rough idea of what to expect? I'm worrying about the return flight already, because I've heard that Manchester is supposed to be really good.

Generally I am fairly independent, being the driver on the trip, and having been before helps as well in terms of it not being completely overwhelming.
k1971 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 03:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Unfortunately I don’t think your weighted blanket will be allowed as a carry on
If you’ve requested assistance nobody’s going to challenge you
You have the option to board first or last but disembarking if wanting assistance at immigration you need to wait till last
Your return flight MCO have assistance in place as well so it’s the same request with your air line
And make use of DAS at all the parks
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Wonder
Imagineer

Mobile

If you're worried about having to explain yourself could you type up a few bullet points to "explain" and have them printed so you an hand them over rather than having to verbalise?
May help you feel less anxious about trying to explain in the rigtt manner on the fly
Old 11 Jun 19, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by k1971 View Post
We've requested special assistance for our MAN-MCO flights, due to my recently diagnosed ASD (and elder DD is awaiting diagnosis).
We've asked for a quiet area if required and and priority boarding; I also have a weighted blanket which I find really helpful, which I've asked to be allowed to bring into the cabin as extra. I'm not sure whether they'll permit this (it's 8 Kg)

Never having used Special Assistance before, I'm not sure how it works. I'd find being challenged by staff at every step and having to explain more stressful than trying to cope with the sensory difficulties, which I have just about managed previously though it makes me unable to concentrate on the flight as a result of the adrenalin/anxiety etc.

Does anyone have any experiences - good or bad - that they can share so I have a rough idea of what to expect? I'm worrying about the return flight already, because I've heard that Manchester is supposed to be really good.

Generally I am fairly independent, being the driver on the trip, and having been before helps as well in terms of it not being completely overwhelming.
Don't forget to ask for the sunflower lanyard

manchesterairport/...-disabilities/

and there is also a specific set of threads about travelling with special needs here on Dibb which might prove useful

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Wonder
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh also with regards to the weighted blanked I woild be tempted to email the airlines in advance explaining and asking for written confirmation that you will be able to take it on board with you as it is essentially an item that helps to relieve a disability.
If they can confirm that they will make this reasonable adjustment then also print out the email correspondence to show anyone who may challenge.

Either that or between your family you may just need to juggle it so you have slightly less hand luggage and take the weight of the blanket into consideration--eg if there are 4 of you with 10kg each then everyone gets 8kg and your weighted blanked makes up the other 8kg so you still total 40kg between you.
Old 11 Jun 19, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Slightly wierd but i made and printed tshirts... i am autistic. My brother has autism etc.
Never once were we question ref use of speciality services and many many parents quietly asked me or dh where we had purchased them as they had an aspie too.
Was the easiest holiday ever (i did a set for every day and sooo much cheaper than buying tshirts.
Might be worth a play with ur printer and some cheap primark tshirts
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

Phone them... best way to have your questions answered.

We have special assistance due to autism (awaiting assesment) and sensory issues. We use the sunflower lanyard, as long as you have booked special assistance with the airline you can get a sunflower lanyard from the assistance desk. In glasgow airport they tick your name off a list... this is our first time flying manchester using it. Manchester airport now have a sunflower room though so ask about that when you get there. It's been on their Facebook.

Weighted blanket... We take one... it's 7kg... but we take it in the hold (free as medical baggage) as we only use it for bed time. We tend to take a weighted teddy on board. You can also get weighted snakes that wrap round shoulders and weighted lap pads. Honestly, we don't take it on board for 2 reasons... it's cumbersome... in already limited space it takes up a lot of room. My daughter can manage with a weighted teddy and a tight squeeze from daddy or me through the flight.
Have you ever tried to wash one? I have always been worried it gets mingin on the flight lol... they are a nightmare to wash...so we avoid taking ours on board.

We have been given the option to though by Thomas Cook.

Honestly... best thing to do is phone and ask them
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

Meant to say... if I remember rightly I had to be able to tell them the company that made the blanket... I can't remember the reason why... it was an understandable reason.
I suppose a blanket full of heavy pellets is questionable!
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
wed2ared
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

If you wear the sunflower lanyards you shouldn’t have to explain anything and will be ushered through to the special queues at security and for early boarding.
wed2ared is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wed2ared View Post
If you wear the sunflower lanyards you shouldn’t have to explain anything and will be ushered through to the special queues at security and for early boarding.
Yes that's true, but depending on the airport... to get the lanyard, you have to have booked the special assistance through the company your flying with also.
I'm not sure about Manchester... as it's the first time we have used it there, but in Glasgow... I HAD to have booked special assistance to get a sunflower lanyard (well, their equivelant). I presume OP doesn't have one already, so she will have to go pick one up. She has special assistance booked which means her kids names will be on a list to get one. (I am not sure if you can just pop up and get one, I am sure someone will say I am just passing on the info Glasgow airport told me).

OP also needs special assistance booked to take a weighted blanket on board and bits and pieces like that. To be honest... it only takes a phone call to phone and book special assistance. It's free, and it means the crew are prepared