Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jun 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
JellyEllieBean
Imagineer

My son didn’t do maths, but said that all of his friends, including those at nearby Grammar school said it was difficult and they all felt they had failed too!
Old 14 Jun 19, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
mazzadee
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My dd has sat these papers. She has only had one year to learn all of the course and has found the papers pretty tough. She said the same about the wording of the questions. So many of the people she has spoken to believe they have failed. She desperately wants an A* in maths for her ucas form as maths is the subject she wants to study. I think it’s so unfair to put pupils in this position, what is the point in teaching children a subject just to test them on something very different. I am really hoping today’s paper is much better for all of them.
Old 14 Jun 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I am unsure how they were taught something different?

The curriculum was laid out, having checked with my sis who teaches maths, there were no questions on the exam that were not part of the revised curriculum (maybe one that pushed into further maths - but that is not unusual, looking at past papers). The questions may have been challenging and asked in a way that they were not used to, but the content should not have been a surprise.

If so many have done badly the grade boundary will be low, so it will even out in the end. GCSE maths last year a pass was set at 19%! nineteen... because the questions were hard - though still on the curriculum.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

The sigma symbol was used throughout the paper which molly is adamant it was not in the pure maths workbook that they had been taught, most of these kids are not doing further maths and are more than likely not capable of it so why use any language from that. All questions should have been worded the same way all the questions they have been taught out of the pure maths workbooks.
No good telling the colleges what materials to use to teach the students and then deviating off it. My daughter sat in a separate room for her exam due to her mental health she cant be in the big room but apparently in the big hall people broke down. That cannot be right.

Yes they can lower the grade boundaries but why put an exam like that out, why mess with these young adults minds like that, sorry I just don't understand the mentality of it ☹
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
The sigma symbol was used throughout the paper which molly is adamant it was not in the pure maths workbook that they had been taught, most of these kids are not doing further maths and are more than likely not capable of it so why use any language from that. All questions should have been worded the same way all the questions they have been taught out of the pure maths workbooks.
No good telling the colleges what materials to use to teach the students and then deviating off it. My daughter sat in a separate room for her exam due to her mental health she cant be in the big room but apparently in the big hall people broke down. That cannot be right.

Yes they can lower the grade boundaries but why put an exam like that out, why mess with these young adults minds like that, sorry I just don't understand the mentality of it ☹
My son said the same, that symbol was not in any of their workbooks and they haven’t been taught anything about it. Why would they do that?

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Last years pure maths paper (Paper 2 June/18) had a question on sequences with sigma notation in,

so if they did past papers for practise they should have come across it.

Sequences and series are a part of the curriculum, sigma notation is a part of that topic - not a huge part as it is a simple notation - so if they have not seen it at all I would be very worried where their teachers had been pointing them for revision help.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

I am not going to call the teachers and I am not bothered what showed up in last years paper. It wasn't in the workbook that they have been using for 2 years. This is edexcel using signs and languages that these children have not been taught.
What you are saying is there must be really bad A level maths teachers right across the country because a lot of the people taking this exam who are not doing further maths could not do that paper.
The fault lies purely with edexcel not all the A level maths teachers.
Also to add there are nearly 200 students sitting maths at my daughters college and only around 30 doing further maths, there are 5 maths teachers and my daughter has the top one.
Don't want to argue with you but you haven't had to deal with the fallout that a lot of parents across England have had to deal with !
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
I am not going to call the teachers and I am not bothered what showed up in last years paper. It wasn't in the workbook that they have been using for 2 years. This is edexcel using signs and languages that these children have not been taught.
What you are saying is there must be really bad A level maths teachers right across the country because a lot of the people taking this exam who are not doing further maths could not do that paper.
The fault lies purely with edexcel not all the A level maths teachers.
Also to add there are nearly 200 students sitting maths at my daughters college and only around 30 doing further maths, there are 5 maths teachers and my daughter has the top one.
Don't want to argue with you but you haven't had to deal with the fallout that a lot of parents across England have had to deal with !

Don't know how schools can teach so differently. DD has just come in from school so I asked and she said Sigma notation was covered briefly in a half lesson on sequences at the very start of the topic. (she is in first year of A level)

She said the sigma symbol is widely used in the statistics module work too.
Old 14 Jun 19, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Cricket19
Getting Excited

I don't normally reply to these sort of posts but JAMM started this thread as her son was upset and looking for support. Although I appreciate everyone is entitled to post, I do feel if you can't post a helpful comment, perhaps it is better not to post at all. There have been more students complaining about Edexcel Maths than any other subject this year. My ds has told me he does know sigma but one of the questions on sigma notation is not covered in the textbook which is endorsed by Edexcel for use for this exam.

Now to make matters even worse, some of today's questions were leaked on twitter and another site frequented by students. Edexcel are aware (and knew this morning) and are investigating.

Edited at 04:54 PM.
Cricket19 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
DD sat these papers and has found them very difficult as did all her friends. She was unable to finish the 1st 2 papers but thought today’s paper was better.

She needs an A in Maths for her University choice so it is a concern. If most students found it difficult then as has been mentioned already, hopefully the grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly.

On the plus side, she only has 2 more exams next week then it is all over. I will be able to reclaim my dining room table which is currently covered in books and won’t have to be quiet any more as apparently I’m too noisy!
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List