Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jun 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by *jovi_girl* View Post
She waiting on an e-mail with details as it’s a training program which she has to pay to do but then it’s a paid position which makes no sense to me.
She’ll know more when she’s received the email
Did you say that your daughter had been approached to apply for the Aspen job through Linkedin? Doubt she'll listen to you based on other comments you've made in this thread but it sounds fishy to me, I'd be seriously researching the company online, with her university and trying to find other students that had been through the programme. I hope it works out well for her.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Has she contacted the first place to clarify whether or not she has a job ? Personally I think she should bottom this one out first.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Many college students get emails offering this type of pay for yourself training programme. I’m sceptical about then as they always say that it could lead to employment, but it’s not a firm job offer to me. Of course there may be success stories of people paying and then getting work but I’m sure that many don’t get taken on. It is a fun opportunity and may give valuable work experience but I would encourage my daughter to take the regular reliable job over this type of pay for yourself scheme.

I definitely feel your DD needs to confirm whether she is still being offered the first job, then she can make an informed decision about Aspen. It’s difficult when they are that age though as she is an adult and ultimately will do as she pleases, it’s just hard to see them make the possibly wrong decision 😔
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I'd be fuming she won't email the original company but she's (at least) eighteen so all you can do is advise and if she chooses to make a decision that proves to be the wrong one for her , then that's part of growing up and learning . We all did it ... and no doubt our parents were equally frustrated we wouldn't listen to their wisdom either !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyStacey
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Why not? Responding to an email is no big deal.

She is also old enough to start to learn about the workplace and what is the appropriate way to behave. And in this case, she definitely needs to clear this up. I expect they will be waiting for her to start work on the agreed date and she is going to look like a no show.
Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
Totally agree.

Hospitality isn’t an industry I’m very familiar with but I wouldn’t want to get myself a bad reputation for acting in an unprofessional manner in any line of work. Not sorting this out properly now might affect her ability to get a job after university as you never know when and where your name will be remembered (this happens a lot in my line of work).
^^ Exactly this.
I am very familiar with the hospitality industry and can only echo the comment of you never know when and where your name will be remembered.
It's better to keep doors open for the future, especially if it's an industry she's interested in!
You never know what doors a bad reputation will close for you.

Obviously you can't force her to reply, but try and make sure she's fully aware of the consequences that not replying could have.
x
DisneyStacey is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile

She’s got another interview now for a job in Italy
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

did she clear up the original job offer/retraction/whatever?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Maybe she just didn't like "Ruddings", its not everybody's cup of tea.. She sdould still say she won't be arriving though.
Old 14 Jun 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Maybe she just didn't like "Ruddings", its not everybody's cup of tea.. She sdould still say she won't be arriving though.
which is fair enough but its good manners to llet them know you wont be joining them and also possibly depriving someone else of a much needed job
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
which is fair enough but its good manners to llet them know you wont be joining them and also possibly depriving someone else of a much needed job
The Op states in her first post that her daughter was offered a contract, presumably if she did'nt sign and return said contract within a certain timeframe they would'nt chase it up they would see it as the applicant did'nt want the job.

If the applicant wanted the position, she could have clarified the further email sent was correct and the position was no longer open.

The OP states her daughter is not proactive so the grey area of did she have/ not have the job is a mystery, and it seems like she has moved onto to apply for other employment.

I have a friend who works as a social media 'spotter' her employer uses her skills to check if their name comes up on social media sites and if the feedback is good or bad .. so the employer in this case could in theory have seen this post.

Edited at 05:17 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List