Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Oct 20, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Found cat and owner issues?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has any advice please? Sorry in advance this is long!

My son is in a house share at university near where we live. Last night I got a call late to say there was a small cat that had come in the house earlier in the day. It was very dirty, covered in fleas and thin and obviously hungry. It was friendly and had a collar mark around it's neck, but no collar. Apparently the cat had been seen around their garden for a few days.

Ds and his house mates got food and flea/worm treatment and actually bathed it as it was so dirty! Their landlord was due to be over in the morning, and they obviously aren't allowed cats in the house so I got a call late to see if I could come and get it and help?

I picked the cat up, took it to my vets for a check up and microchip scan. It wasn't chipped, over 6 months old but young, approx a year and female. Under weight and obviously lots of fleas. They suggested ringing local vets and cats protection. Ds and his friends had already put a post with photo on the local lost cat Facebook page. I rang cats protection who took lots of details, and were happy for me to look after it as they had no foster places immediately available. Rang all vets and no reports of lost cats of her description. Cats protection assumed she wasn't spayed and had wandered off looking for a mate.

This evening someone messaged the Facebook page to say it is her cat. They have a photo of her as a kitten and it is her, but also another photo of her with kittens! So don't think she is spayed and obviously has had a litter very young? She said it's only been missing since Saturday night? But it was very dirty and very very thin, plus absolutely full of fleas, I've been trying to comb as many out as possible tonight 😥. I've looked on her social media and I think she has a few cats, and one post mentions another cat eating her cats food outside? So not sure if they go inside? They live about a mile from where she was found, over 2 very busy city roads, so probably was looking for a mate?

The cat hasn't been reported missing anywhere, hasn't been chipped, spayed and obviously not flead regularly? But it is her cat? Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do next? She doesn't know my details, but think she might know ds's address? She works evenings so said she would be in contact tomorrow? 😥 poor thing 😭. I'm not sure what to do next ☹. Thanks if you got this far!

Edited at 11:14 PM.
catlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I’d have a chat with the RSPCA tomorrow
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 02:37 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I think it is clear that she has been neglected just from having all those fleas. Speak to cats protection or RSPCA before handing the cat over
Old 22 Oct 20, 05:54 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Absolutely do not give the cat back, as others have said speak to the RSPCA and keep on looking after it until a new, responsible owner can be found. If the owner kicks up a fuss just say you did not know whose the cat was and the vet suggested you report it.
Old 22 Oct 20, 06:01 AM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Are you likely to keep the cat or are you short term fostering? If you could keep her, In these circumstances I would get your son to play dumb - “someone else claimed her” or “not the same cat sadly, my mistake, sorry” or advise that she was taken in by a charity. If you aren’t going to keep her, then I would talk to RSPCA and any other cat charity in the area - the woman may well be known to them.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

No I would not give the cat back
There are lots of things wrong about this . I would speak to Cats Protection rather than the RSPCA ,they were great when we took in a stray cat about 3 years ago .
Please keep us updated .
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

If you are in or around Essex I would love to adopt her. The cat rescue places have been closed to visitors since March and it’s difficult to adopt or foster.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

If I was your son I’d say she’s escaped and no idea where she is. I’d then deal with the poor little thing by either having her adopted by someone loving who you know, or go through Cats Protection if that wasn’t possible.
Mqt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post

I really think you need to talk to the cats protection about the situation. They will know the legal aspects as you, yourself have said it’s the same cat from the photos the lady showed you. I’m not sure you can just rehome someone else’s cat, even if they don’t look after it properly.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Some one who doesn’t spay or flea their cat doesn’t deserve one .
I’d tell this woman the cat is not healthy , not spayed and has a major flea issue and that she needs treatment which you’ll take the cat for but she will need to cover the cost before you give her back .
If she puts up a fight then tell her you’ll call cats protection for advice .
My betting is she’ll just wash her hands of the poor thing as she clearly doesn’t care anyway.
Harsh ? Maybe.. but that poor cat will end up having litter after litter ,not to mention the health issues arising from that and a major flea problem .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List