Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 18 Aug 19, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jengibbo
Excited about Disney

New England Boston - Acadia Day 1

Sunday 28th July 2019

We all woke around 6.50am which is good for a first day. I had woke about 3 times in the night but had got back to sleep. Breakfast was available in the hotel but was quite pricey for the buffet. There was also a cafe selling the usual muffins etc and Starbucks coffee. Ben had dry cereal in the home (don’t ask) and the rest of us had a cereal bar and water. The hotel provides a free shuttle into the city on the weekends so we had booked onto the 8am.
We boarded the bus and chatted with another British family who had also arrived the day before.
We were dropped off at the New England Aquarium and as it didn’t open until 9am we headed to Dunkin for breakfast. Ben loves Donuts Thomas not so much. We got a take away breakfast of 2 breakfast bagels, one glazed donut, one chocolate muffin, 2 chocolate milks and 2 coffees. I think it was around $20 and it definitely hit the spot. After this we headed to the New England Aquarium. We had decided to purchase 2 day Boston Go tickets as we felt they would help us stay on track and visit the main places off of interest. I paid $270 for the 4 tickets. Having the tickets meant we didn’t have to queue and we went straight in. We spent two hours and could have stayed longer. Lots to see and some opportunities to touch jellies and starfish and rays. The boys really enjoyed it.

This made me laugh as my 7 month nephew is a similar weight.

After here we headed to the hop on hop off trolley bus. Again included with our Go Boston card .We had to pick up physical tickets for this and they could be used for two days. We got the bus to the Naval yard. The driver gave a great commentary and made the ride fun. We headed to the USS constitution the oldest warship still in service (in theory) in the US. We had to go through security and bag check to get and we had to show ID. The
ship itself is free to visit. A point to note is that it is shut on Monday’s. The boat was very interesting and there were sailors onboard to answer any questions you may have.

We then visited another ship in the yard a WWII ship the USS Cassin Young. It was really hot by now so we reapplied the sunscreen and headed to the gift shop in the USS Constitution Museum. We decided not to visit the museum. The museum is free but they ask for donations.
We then decided to walk up to the Bunker Hill monument. Unfortunately we were unable to climb the monument as it was shut due the very high temperatures. It was about 33c by this point. We had a look at the monument and nipped in to use the restrooms and refill our water bottles at the information centre.

We then headed back to the Naval yard to get back on the hop on hop off bus. We were able to see lots of sights as we headed on. We got off at Quincy market to get some lunch. The boys all got a hot dog and I got a chicken fajita wrap. It was really nice then we got ice cream from Ben and Jerry’s. We then walked to Boston common and again used the restrooms and the water refill stations at the entrance to the park. The park was super busy and we headed to the Frog Pond for the boys to cool off. They headed in and had a good splash about. I watched them not really my thing.

After a cool down we went on the Swan boats again included with the Go Boston card. This was really nice and relaxing. We then went to the Boston park plaza hotel. Me and Chris had stayed here in 2007 and we wanted to have another look. Whilst here the boys used the restrooms again ! We seem to spend a lot time looking for restrooms. We then went to the Boston public library and used their WiFi to send some WhatsApp’s home. After here we went to the Prudential building and went up to their observatory. Again included with Go Boston. We had some great views and there was lots of interesting information about Boston and it’s history. Perfect for me as I’m a historian.

The Prudential building has a mall attached so we visited Barnes and Noble for a mooch. We then headed to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. We had dinner in the San Diego one back in April and loved it so this was a must.
We had a great dinner just main courses burgers for me and Chris, grilled cheese for Ben and chicken tenders for Thomas. Can’t remember the cost maybe $50

We were all flagging now so after dinner we strolled back to the T via CVS to get Thomas a toothbrush as I’d forgotten to pack his. We got back to the hotel, showered and watched the Red Sox v Yankees. 20, 987 steps done
jengibbo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker's Fluff
Imagineer

Looks like a fab day. We are off to Boston for the first time next month, can’t wait.
I am hoping to pick up some tips from you.x

1997/1998 Quality Inn.2006 Villa.2007&2008Fairfield
2013 LBV Resort and Spa 2015 Sheraton Times Sq.NY.
2016 Barcelo Teguise Beach 2016 Trump Int Toronto
2016 Xmas in NY.2018 LBV Resort And Spa 2019 Croatia Venice and Boston
Beaker's Fluff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
jengibbo
Excited about Disney

I would really recommend the Go Boston card. We paid $89 for a two day adult pass. Individually our entrances would have cost $153.
jengibbo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List