Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Nov 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi
Earning My Ears

Mobile Itinerary help. Vegas or Yosemite?

Hi everyone. So we have decided to push our holiday back a year and go in August 2022 instead of next year. As it's a whole extra year away we are adding on an extra week, doing three now instead of just two.
Places we will be staying are:
LA
Palm Springs
Disneyland

Now our extra week, we can't decide which other location to add, either Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon (South rim) or Yosemite.
Our kids will be 6 and 11, so not up for a massive amount of hiking!
Any thoughts?
Jedi is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Looking at where else you are going probably do more in South California / Nevada. I would look at San Diego first then Grand Canyon South rim and Vegas.

Keep Yosemite for a trip where you can include San Francisco and Pacific coast highway.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have just booked our 3rd west coast trip and this time concentrating on just California. We have done Yosemite, Las Vegas and Grand Canyon and loved them all. I have done the quick 1 night stops and then off to a new place the next day but that is because we find the driving as exciting as the destination. There's lots to do in and around Vegas and it wasn't until our second visit did we appreciate it more. When we have visited Grand Canyon we have loved it both times. We are visiting Yosemite 🙏 next year as we didn't have enough time there, literally 1 night and then off and its not the sort of place you want to rush. I can not recommend just the one place as I love them all and after this year will appreciate it all the more next year.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
figment05
Very Serious Dibber

with a 6 & 11year old it comes down to how good travellers are they. If they are good in the car then you could do vegas for a few days and then drive via death valley and tigo pass to yosemite for 3 nights. This would give you a nice amount of time to do the valley floor and the lookout. As for grand canyon , as you have the time I would look to save up and do it via a helicopter flight from vegas, the kids will love it.
figment05 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

You can't do the south rim by helicopter from Vegas as it is too far. You can only do the smaller west rim. South rim you can either fly to or get a helicopter from the local airport.

At the age they are I would look at San Diego as there is plenty for the there.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone, that's a help. We are leaning more towards doing Las Vegas, I think the kids would really enjoy it. I had been thinking it might be better to save Yosemite for another time when we can do San Francisco and PCH, there are just too many things we want to see and do!
I will have more of a look at San Diego too. Not sure what we would want to do there, as already planning on the zoo at Palm Springs.
Even if a helicopter could get to the South rim, there's not a chance I would be on it haha can just about talk myself into getting on a plane, never mind a helicopter 🙈🙈
Jedi is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Hello

I think Vegas and Palm Springs will be extremely hot in August, just something to consider with little ones

I have been to all of that area, my favourite being San Diego,
I would like to live there
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 20, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

San Diego will be a lot cooler in August than Vegas. I have been to Vegas and PS in August and I think the heat could be a problem for some kids as even laying at the pool the binding of my book melted! I would not be able to walk around the PS zoo in August, I did my walk at 6am and coming back at 7 it was already 36 degrees. With kids I'd try to find somewhere near one of the beaches and do the zoo, Balboa park, Coronado, a few beach days.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by figment05 View Post
with a 6 & 11year old it comes down to how good travellers are they. If they are good in the car then you could do vegas for a few days and then drive via death valley and tigo pass to yosemite for 3 nights. This would give you a nice amount of time to do the valley floor and the lookout. As for grand canyon , as you have the time I would look to save up and do it via a helicopter flight from vegas, the kids will love it.
What they heck would you do with kids in Vegas?

Genuine question we stayed 5 days and thought it was like blackpool lol Best part of the stay was a 12 hour return bus ride to grand canyon.

Old 9 Dec 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
What they heck would you do with kids in Vegas?

Genuine question we stayed 5 days and thought it was like blackpool lol Best part of the stay was a 12 hour return bus ride to grand canyon.
Our kids loved Vegas
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List