Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 13 Jun 19, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sophsters
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Esta with a criminal record... advice please?

Hello, I have been to Orlando twice over the past few years with my children and am desperate to go back... hopefully next year after I've qualified from my nursing degree 😊
My new partner would love to go but we are unsure as to whether or not he'll be allowed into the US.
He has had a colourful past, but as of 2012 he has changed his life around and has not had any convictions or arrests.
His last arrest (and jail term which he did a few years for and got released in 2012) is relating to a serious assault and there have been previous drug charges and assaults.
Can anyone shed some light on if there would be any point in applying for a Visa as we wouldn't want to waste money and our time or anyone else's?

Thanks for any advice.

Cumbrian Lakes 2014
Glenbrook 2017
sophsters is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Gav
slightly serious Dibber

Just apply for an Esta and see if it gets accepted or declined. Might as well for $14. Then you’ll know if you need a visa etc
Gav is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sophsters View Post
His last arrest (and jail term which he did a few years for and got released in 2012) is relating to a serious assault and there have been previous drug charges and assaults.
Can anyone shed some light on if there would be any point in applying for a Visa as we wouldn't want to waste money and our time or anyone else's?

Thanks for any advice.
Sounds like he might have to answer yes to ESTA questions 2 and/or 3.
This would lead him down the visa route as you seem to suspect already.

CBP take a dim view of drug convictions but you won't know for sure until he has the interview.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
headpin
Getting Excited

He will not get an ESTA so do not waste $14. Also with assault and drug convictions the last being only 7 years ago, a Visa is very doubtful too. But maybe worth a punt you have time to spare for visit to US Embassy and Interview.
headpin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Andycm81
Apprentice Imagineer

Andycm81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
Just apply for an Esta and see if it gets accepted or declined. Might as well for $14. Then you’ll know if you need a visa etc
If he answers honestly on the ESTA then it will definitely be rejected, so a completely useless waste of $14.

It will almost certainly need to be a visa application and with seemingly multiple offences, I wouldn’t expect a happy outcome, but I’d certainly want to try if I was in the OP’s partners shoes.
Andycm81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sdrfish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I would say he has no chance with his recent past history as it has been within the last 10 years. Drug convictions are almost an instant visa refusal when you combine that with his last custodial sentence I would not even say it worth trying.

Sorry if that’s not what you want to here.
sdrfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

I agree with sdrfish, the chances of him getting in via a visa are very slim, however no one knows for def unless you go for a visa appointment, do this straight away as it can take couple months at least to get an appointment.
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
sophsters
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thank you for your replies. I don't want to give up my tiny glimmer of hope to be able to visit with my other half, but we are realistic.

Cumbrian Lakes 2014
Glenbrook 2017
sophsters is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 01:16 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

“serious assault“

ESTA would be declined for that one.

If I was him I’d chance applying for a visa but with jail time and drug offences I’d be prepared for a no but he’ll never know unless he applies.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 02:07 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Definitely no chance of an ESTA unless he lied. 10 years is a cutoff I have read about. It might be worth waiting until then to avoid an automatic refusal now. There are online forums specifically about this. It might be worth a search for more details.