Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Jul 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Bad Skin

I'm 33, so well beyond my teenage years. As an adult, I've had a few spots and spells of bad skin, but it feels like it is getting worse as I get older. The spots are nearly always in the mouth/chin area. I take the Femodette combined pill.

I had a spell where I wasn't taking the pill at the beginning of the year, but I went back onto it a month ago and I don't know if its a coincidence, but my skin went crazy, with massive new spots appearing daily.

I tried an Acne cream, which had some effect, but it has dried my skin out so much, and my regular moisturising seems to be stopping it getting worse but not improving it. I wear make up for work, as I cannot see Clients with my face the way it is without, but I have put face wipes in my bag so I can get it all off as soon as my appointments finish. I also stopped wearing make up at weekends, which is not great for my self-esteem.

I have a good skincare routine - the Clinique 3 step for type 3 skin - and I use the Clinique sonic brush to make sure my skin is getting a proper deep clean. I use micellar water and cotton wool to take my make up off. I won't pretend my diet is perfect, but I eat square meals and try not to snack too much, so I don't think its a sugar overload.

Does anyone have ideas of what I can try? This is really getting me down, and I'm not sure what to do
Old 9 Jul 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

The spots in the chin area are always the worst. I used to get a lot of them when on the pill but haven't for a while (there again I am now 40+ so less likely to anyway).

The two thoughts that come to mind are firstly to try not to touch them (you can hide them with a face mask if you are out and about at the moment and that should also stop the touching) and secondly look at your diet and maybe limit or reduce the amount of dairy in your diet as well.

Good luck
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I'm 33, so well beyond my teenage years. As an adult, I've had a few spots and spells of bad skin, but it feels like it is getting worse as I get older. The spots are nearly always in the mouth/chin area. I take the Femodette combined pill.

I had a spell where I wasn't taking the pill at the beginning of the year, but I went back onto it a month ago and I don't know if its a coincidence, but my skin went crazy, with massive new spots appearing daily.

I tried an Acne cream, which had some effect, but it has dried my skin out so much, and my regular moisturising seems to be stopping it getting worse but not improving it. I wear make up for work, as I cannot see Clients with my face the way it is without, but I have put face wipes in my bag so I can get it all off as soon as my appointments finish. I also stopped wearing make up at weekends, which is not great for my self-esteem.

I have a good skincare routine - the Clinique 3 step for type 3 skin - and I use the Clinique sonic brush to make sure my skin is getting a proper deep clean. I use micellar water and cotton wool to take my make up off. I won't pretend my diet is perfect, but I eat square meals and try not to snack too much, so I don't think its a sugar overload.

Does anyone have ideas of what I can try? This is really getting me down, and I'm not sure what to do
I have had bad skin over the years and I used to use Clinique 3 step routine. It turned out it was actually the Clinique making my skin bad. I changed to Dermalogica at the time & now I just use No7 range. I still get the odd spot but nothing like I used to. I did go back to Clinique at one point but my skin broke out badly again so I haven’t used it since.

It may not be the same for you but may be worth a try changing products.
Cutiepie is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I had this and was told it was hormonal acne.
I was shocked when the doctor said acne because they were only a few round my mouth & chin, monthly but they were big & painful.
I was prescribed a 6 months course of oxytetracycline tablets two, twice a day.
It cleared up in the first month but I completed the course and its never returned
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

Maybe Rosacea?

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

I'd ditch the Clinique stuff for a start - having worked as a Beauty Therapist, the number of people who came in saying their skin was bad and they were using it...

Garnier has a good range for sensitive, acne prone skin, that might be worth a look at. It sounds like whatever you've used to clear the oil has dehydrated your skin (different from dry skin - dehydrated lacks moisture, dry lacks oil).

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Are you changing the brush head regularly enough on the sonic?
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
baggers
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I agree with ditching Clinique. I use Liz Earle, it seems to work for my skin. I have peri-oral dermatitis so have to watch for flare ups and am careful when using new things. Have a look at pictures of it as it is common around the mouth and nose. I’m able to manage mine now with a cream but took a number of months for the doctors to agree what it was and in the end I asked for a referral to a dermatologist.
baggers is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’d also suggest ditching Clinique
Elemis and Decleor Have great ranges specific for different skin types. Sisley is amazing if you can stretch to it
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Flossiemay
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Dd (18) has very bad acne on her face and body. She’s tried pretty much every skincare range with no effect. In desperation I bought her a light mask which she uses for 10 minutes a day and the difference it’s made has been incredible, many friends have commented on the improvement. It’s not a quick fix, takes several weeks to clear the spots but definitely worth a try. I got it from amazon and it wasn’t expensive.
Flossiemay is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List