Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Feb 11, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post

WWOHP - buying wands

I'm horrified by shelling out $30 each for wands, but I have a sinking feeling that's what the kids will want when they get there.

I'm wondering about buying them on-line beforehand, and presenting them to our kids when we get there (and saving some money). However, I do see a lot of different types of HP wands on e-bay and Amazon.

Can someone help me with what the ones at WWOHP are like, who makes them, and where I might buy similar ones?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 11, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

They are made from some sort of resin and come in presentation boxes. The Harry Potter ones say "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" and Universal Orlando on the back of the box and the others say "TM Warner Brothers".

Not sure how easy it would be to get identical ones online, but sure to be something similar.

We allowed our two to get them because we gave them $30 each for spending money for the fortnight. The deal was, get a wand, that's all the money gone. They made that choice and stuck with it, no trying to get anything else, so I think that's fair enough.

EC
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 11, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Edna Cloud View Post
They are made from some sort of resin and come in presentation boxes. The Harry Potter ones say "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" and Universal Orlando on the back of the box and the others say "TM Warner Brothers".

Not sure how easy it would be to get identical ones online, but sure to be something similar.

We allowed our two to get them because we gave them $30 each for spending money for the fortnight. The deal was, get a wand, that's all the money gone. They made that choice and stuck with it, no trying to get anything else, so I think that's fair enough.

EC
Thanks. That helps, there's so many online, but the only ones with presentation boxes etc seem to be £30 - so even more expensive.
Old 14 Feb 11, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Can I tag another question onto this please?

Can you buy all the wands at the gift store near the entrance to IoA? I don't really want to do the locker thing so would rather save the gift buying until we're nearly finished and obviously it might well be too crowded to get back into WWoHP - if that makes any sense!
Old 14 Feb 11, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
mermaids1960
Getting excited

mermaids1960's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 19
I have not visited WWOHP, but I heard they have a little shop that sell wands, Think my Granddaughters will need to save some pocket money

Owner at Animal Kingdom
mermaids1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 11, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
tommys
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

tommys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
you can buy the wands at the large store on your right hand side on your way out of the park
tommys is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 11, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Tee
Trainee Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
My nephew had ALOT of fun choosing his wand. They have a different wand for each of the main characters. The children (or adults!) are allowed to pick each one up and wave them around a bit to get the feel of them and I've got some great photos of my nephew's serious face as he tried each one out.

I don't know what the price difference is from buying there or buying on-line, but if it's not much then I would say let your children choose them themselves when they get there as I'm sure they'll enjoy it more. (I even tried out a few myself!)
Tee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 11, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

When we were there in July you could only buy a few of the wands in the shop in IoA. There was definitely loads of choice at the wand shop in WWoHP.

Tip for anyone going early July. We went the morning of 5th July and it was a walk in, stroll around the shops etc at WWoHP, got loads of pictures and then out. We went back to WWoHP a few days later and couldn't belive the crowds, so must have been everyone taking a break after the celebrations on 4th July.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 11, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Hallowishes
Imagineer

Originally Posted by glasgow View Post
I'm horrified by shelling out $30 each for wands, but I have a sinking feeling that's what the kids will want when they get there.

I'm wondering about buying them on-line beforehand, and presenting them to our kids when we get there (and saving some money). However, I do see a lot of different types of HP wands on e-bay and Amazon.

Can someone help me with what the ones at WWOHP are like, who makes them, and where I might buy similar ones?
Hi, we bought our wands last year at Universal and gave the kids them for christmas, we got 10% discount by handing over our AA card which saved a bit as we bought two. They do sell the actual wands you buy there in this country now, I think they're about £26.99 so with exchange rate & AA discount its still cheaper over there.

Holiday Inn LBV 2000, Cancun 2000, DLP Disneyland Hotel 2002, Atlantis-Bahamas 2002, Wyndham Orlando 2003, Sheraton Safari 2004, 2006, Disney's Port Orleans Riverside 2007,2009,2010,2011,2013 & 2014 & 1nt.at Y&BC & CR, New York 2018, DLP Sequoia Lodge 2024.
Hallowishes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 11, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post

When we went in Sept last year they seemed to have a really large selection of wands in the Big store near the IoA exit aswell as other souveniers for HP, e.g robes, wax seal kits, t-shirts etc. They are wonderfully presented and each characters is so different. I was tempted to get one but realisticaly all I would have done is kept in on a shelf. Im sure some cost more $$ than others though, but I could be wrong! Try and make sure they get to see the wand selection show in WWoHP, I've heard its pretty good and they select kids from the audience to select a wand!
Closed Thread