Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Apr 15, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Just has another look and im a bit confused because its saying you pay the excess but i think your right about the paying it out then having to claim back. im at a total loss as to whether it would be better to not bother collecting the 'free car' (virgin flydrive) and just getting a new car rental as that is coming out cheaper than what virgin want for the insurance, or else just risk seeing how much alamo will say it is to upgrade at the desk when i go to pick the car up.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Babs84 View Post
Just has another look and im a bit confused because its saying you pay the excess but i think your right about the paying it out then having to claim back. im at a total loss as to whether it would be better to not bother collecting the 'free car' (virgin flydrive) and just getting a new car rental as that is coming out cheaper than what virgin want for the insurance, or else just risk seeing how much alamo will say it is to upgrade at the desk when i go to pick the car up.
Alamo will ask a high premium if you wish to add insurance when you get there, you are a captive audience at that point. You are best off just booking the smallest, cheapest car with Virgin on your fly-drive then not collecting it. Have a look at Alamo/brits, Virgin Atlantic or US Rent a Car for car hire including insurance, as they usually work out to be the cheapest. You could also check on sites like Netflights as they have had some good deals lately.
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post

The flydrive is booked and paid for already and they didnt give me the option of what car, they just said i would be getting a minibus or similar size. I think this was due to the fact I am traveling with 3 kids, one will be in a rear facing car seat and the other a booster chair. This is so annoying lol!
Old 26 Apr 15, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
cassieamber
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

You dont have to take their car, you can simply forget that your booking with Virgin even comes with a car.

You are free to make your own independant arrangements with any other car hire company you feel comfortable with. Preferably one that come with full insurance cover included in the price.
cassieamber is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post

yes think that we are just going to have to scrap that car with virgin. Think I will get a smaller car too actually, saves a bit there too!
Old 27 Apr 15, 05:19 AM  
Link to this Post

Mr TM: I appreciate your help, but in reality stand-alone insurance is a little different. You will be required to pay the excess up front, and then like any insurance company you can expect them to be liable for the rest.

I agree with you - the problem lies with having another party in the loop. And worst, you may be under-insured and so the bill drops back on your lap.

Independently organised insurance can save some money. But you need to be an insurance expert and a small print expert. Or to put it another way: my DW is an expert in insurance (working with Lloyds of London) - she buys the hire car insurance. Car totalled: who cares who's to blame so long as no-one is injured. Bye.
Old 27 Apr 15, 05:19 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread