Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Apr 15, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Car hire questions?

Hello we have never rented a car as my husband didn't fancy driving yet since our last visit I have learnt to drive.

I haven't yet driven on a motorway but am ok on dual carriageways, are the roads in Orlando similar to motorways? Are they very fast?

How much approximately would car hire be for 5 people 2 adults 3 children 3,6,12 so not sure how many car seats will be needed? And petrol and parking costs be for 2 weeks? Staying in Orlando, doing dis cove universal and Disney?
Thank you
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 15, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by butterfly83 View Post
I haven't yet driven on a motorway but am ok on dual carriageways, are the roads in Orlando similar to motorways? Are they very fast?
Speed limits are similar (normally between 60-70 mph). The big difference is overtaking as this can happen in any lane so you have to be aware of what is either side of you.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 15, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

The main motorway is the I4, its 3 lanes (think it goes to 4 at some point, might be wrong though?) and the other main roads are either 2 or 3 lanes. Motorway limits are broadly the same as ours, think its 65 or 70.

For 5 people I think you'd want a standard SUV or for more space a 7 seat minivan. You could get away with a full size but I think kids would be squashed 3 to a rear bench.

Prices vary depending on time of year, company, what offers are around. Start by looking at sites like alamo brits, Virgin alamo car hire, Us rent a car, ebookers etc. for your dates to see what the prices are like. Fuel is cheap over there, $35 filled up our Int SUVs tank so no more than $50 I'd reckon.

Parking at the parks is $17 a day at Disney, Universal and Seaworld unless you stay onsite - then it's free. It's also free at Disney's waterparks and Downtown disney.
Old 27 Apr 15, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
dave
Imagineer

Car hire can range from £100 upwards per week on average that would include the full insurance cover and depend on your size of car. Obviously you would require 5 seats minimum plus room for luggage so size of car could be full size to SUV Or minivan.
Take a look at the rental companies listed on the post it note at the top of the transportation thread to give you an idea of cars and prices.
Parking costs were around $17 per day at most parks but that was a couple of years ago, probably more now. Discovery cove I believe us free.
Cost of fuel again couple of years back was around $3.20 per gallon, very cheap compared to UK.
The main roads are like our dual carriageways but they also have many single carriageway roads. The interstates (motorways) are bigger than ours. No roundabouts.
I find it easier and more relaxing drive over there. Lots of other road rules different to ours. Keep to the speed limit is a must. Come to a complete stop at a stop sign, and you can turn right on red if clear and no sign stating otherwise. Lots more.
Sunset lakes 01, Weston Hills 03,Indian Ridge 04, Davenport 04, Westridge 06 & 07, Florida Pines 08, Lake Berkley 09, Windsor Hills 10, Emerald Island 12, Westridge 13, Legacy Park 15, Eagle Pointe 16, Loma Linda & Windsor Hills 17, Westridge 18, Bella Vida 19
FLORIDA MASTERS WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2015
HOLIDAY GENIE / TRAVELUP WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2016
dave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 15, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Parkie
Getting Excited

Just back from Orlando, and it was mine and my wifes first time driving in America. I have to say I miss the driving over there, once your used to it you'll wonder what all the worry was about. Most of the time you'll be doing 45mph. I would highly recommended getting a Sat Nav as we found it invaluable.
Parkie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 15, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
paulandalison
Imagineer

paulandalison's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Road are wide and well signposted, once its a deffinate plan to book a car my advice is to book it as soon as you can, I booked ours last year in September, I booked and paid for a Dodge Caraven its a 7 seater car, I paid £316 for 14 days where now its a lot more for the same car,
paulandalison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 15, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
AL1S0N
Dibbing with Tink

When we booked for next year I assumed dh would be doing all the driving as he always drives on holiday. However as we've started to do a bit of planning its apparent I'll need to drive too, esp at night coming back from restaurants. I'm not the most confident behind the wheel but people on this forum have put me at ease and with a sat nav (which discount Florida car hire throw in free) I reckon I'll be ok. Its not the roads I'm worried about but an automatic car! Anyway regarding car hire I'd go with full size or above (we're a fam of 4 in an intermediate costing £240 for 2 wks). Now car seats- do not hire from rental comp! Instead take a cheap booster for your 6 yr old, a high back booster for 3 yr old, and sit your 12 yr old in the middle of them. Parking at parks is roughly $15 a day and filling the tank will be $20-$30 which you'll prob need to do once or twice
AL1S0N is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 15, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post

The I4 and other interstates are pretty much the same as our motorways. But remember you can be overtaken on either side. Dont keep moving between lanes. Second there are some cases where exits leave from the 'fast' lane. These are unusual and well signposted.

Whats really different is the 'A' roads. So your normal road in the US is a cross between a motorway and our A roads. Speeds are lower although still high (up to 55) and there are LOTS of traffic lights. And quite a few lanes.

Its dead easy. The ONLY thing I found different and needed to learn was that you can be doing 55 and then the traffic lights change! Be prepared.

Ohh and you can turn right on a red unless it says you cant.
Old 27 Apr 15, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread