Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Sep 18, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Each girl will need their own handbook as it is the record of badges and activities whilst they are a brownie. They cost about £7 so those that are 9 may not want to buy one as they will need a guide one.

I give out stuff when they make their promise but this is why we have subs to cover this cost but because it is a big hit all at once it hurts a unit that does not have much money.

However as others have said it is a cheap evening of entertainment, though we did the agility badge tonight so I wore them out
Old 18 Sep 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Mobile

We do rainbows in our house (dd6) which I think is a precursor to brownies.

We love it and dd has a ball. Can’t remember how much as it gets added to her termly bill but I was shocked how little it was when I did see it before.
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

Another one who can’t praise Girlguiding enough.

Both my girls did Rainbows, Brownies, Guides and then Rangers. Through these they both completed Bronze, Silver and Gold DoE awards (much cheaper than those who did it through 6th form), and I enjoyed 2 visits to Buckingham Palace to see them receive their awards.

I admire all the volunteers who give up their own time to organise and run meetings, often after working full time all day, as well as many weekends for camps etc, and am proud that after being a volunteer young leader for 2 years, my youngest DD has agreed to come home from uni once a month to now help run a DoE group.

The subs only just cover the costs of facilities and resources, so anything they ask for to help support providing fun activities is well worth it in my opinion. Money well spent
Old 18 Sep 18, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Lilly started guides last week, she's been through rainbows and brownies, she's needed new uniform which cost me about £30as only top and jacket and her subs for half term are £17, I had to pay a registration fee for her joining guides which was £12 but she got a guide handbook.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
I know my friend is always forking out for club - swimming, kick boxing etc and it costs her hundred!
Not sure its value for money.

Im sure Brownies is much more useful!
My daughter does a few activities, guides is definately the cheapest and she's there the longest time
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Some Banana View Post
I clicked into this thread thinking it was about cake 😳
And me!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 18, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I think it’s brilliant and compared to all the other activities by kids did it was by far the cheapest. I think Brownies / Guides gives the girls so many opportunities and mine have loved it.
I agree with this. My daughter is only 7 so Brownies, but she loves it and it’s remarkably cheap in comparison to some other hobbies!
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
disneymadhouse
Imagineer

disneymadhouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
My DD is a Brownie, but nothing has been mentioned about a new book. Our subs have remained the same at £25 a term.

1994 Lindfields Villa 1999 Polynesian/Disney Magic 2002 All Star Sports 2007 Best Western Lakeside 2012 OKW 2014 Disney Magic 2015 OKW/Disney Dream/AoA 2016 Disney Magic 2017 OKW 2018 Disney Dream / OKW / All Star Movies 2019 CBR
DVC Owner at OKW
disneymadhouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 18, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
penguin19
Imagineer

penguin19's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by disneymadhouse View Post
My DD is a Brownie, but nothing has been mentioned about a new book. Our subs have remained the same at £25 a term.
GG released a new programme towards the end of July - units have until the end of this current acadmic year to start using it. Some have chosen to do so straight away (I assume that is why the OP started this thread, as it involves a little extra initial/regular outly for the new material) and some groups will slowly introduce over the year.

Some units will have brought all girls the books they need as they may have funds in reserve for this, others will need to raise subs or ask parents to buy the books, it does vary on unit/district/division/county

DCL - 19,21,21,22,23,23
penguin19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 18, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
princessgem
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I am a brownie leader and we are having a fundraising evening for the new books as we are aware that not all parents will want to pay out directly. On the evening we are going to show the parents what the new book looks like so they ccan see how good it is- it really is a good programme for the girls and for what they will get out of it it’s brillint

2015: Art of Animation + Hard Rock
princessgem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List