Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 1 Jan 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile Any recommendations for Spain/Islands?

DD has GCSEs this year so can go away beginning of July. Had initially considered Florida but flights are more than we paid for August three years ago and DD would really like to go somewhere Spanish. Not sure If I’m being fussy but getting a bit of snow blindness looking at options and some seem so expensive! Basically don’t mind if self catering or B&B but do want a fridge in room. Need two separate rooms or two bed apartment as also have DS19 who wants to come. Would like a nice pool(s), close to a nice beach and shops and restaurants. Have done AI before but prefer going out for meals particularly as three of us are vegetarian. Don’t like high rise hotel blocks and prefer no more than three storeys and modern interior. Typing this and realising maybe I am being fussy! Like the idea or Majorca or Menorca or Canary’s and a bit of authentic Spain rather than feeling like I’m in Margate. Anyone have anywhere they could recommend? Many thanks
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We stayed in a lovely villa in Lanzarote last August. We booked Villa Pebbles through Villaplus. We prefer a villa to a hotel. It had a private pool, table tennis, games room, 3 bedrooms with en-suites. I’m sure we paid less than £700 for the week . We booked quite late though, I noticed it is much more expensive this year. We like Playa Blanca as it is fairly quiet, nice restaurants, a handful of shops. Costa Teguise and Peurto del carmen were really not suited to us. More your Margate or Blackpool! We went for an evening but only stayed about an hour at each.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
leenkerri
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
We stayed in a lovely villa in Lanzarote last August. We booked Villa Pebbles through Villaplus. We prefer a villa to a hotel. It had a private pool, table tennis, games room, 3 bedrooms with en-suites. I’m sure we paid less than £700 for the week . We booked quite late though, I noticed it is much more expensive this year. We like Playa Blanca as it is fairly quiet, nice restaurants, a handful of shops. Costa Teguise and Peurto del carmen were really not suited to us. More your Margate or Blackpool! We went for an evening but only stayed about an hour at each.
We love Playa Blanca as it doesn’t feel at all touristy, has lovely beaches and some nice restaurants.

Lee: QIP 1990; Fantasy world villas 1992; QIP 1996
Lee & Kerri: QIP 2008; QIP/AKL 2009; POR 2010; QIP/SSR 2011
leenkerri is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks, I’ll have a look at there. Went to Puerto Del Carman on my first foreign holiday nearly 30 years ago but never been back to Lanzarote. Think we’ve been spoilt with some nice villas in Florida and a couple of nice European holidays at good prices in school holidays. Was expecting more of a bargain going start of July!
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Does it have to be Spain? Greece would probably give you more of what you are looking for. Some lovely little resorts with small white washed buildings, amazing food, beautiful seas and beaches.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

DD doing Spanish and French GCSE and considering Spanish A level so that’s what made us lean towards that
Old 2 Jan 20, 01:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Gydion
Looking for my Ears

I would also consider the south coast of mainland Spain. It has something for everybody. From the English type resorts on the Costa del Sol in Malaga province to the more laid back Spanish type resorts on the Costa de la Luz in Cadiz & Huelva provinces.
Gydion is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 02:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Pagan8c
Getting Excited

I lived in Spain for 9 years on the Costa Blanca. If you want more authentic Spain then try Calpe,Javea or Denia they are smallish resorts the Spanish visit but with a reasonable sprinkling of British Ex Pats so not a complete struggle to understand the language as there are quite a few that speak english. They all have nice beaches and some good hotels and if you want a good night out then it is not too far to go to Benidorm . They have a great place called Benidorm Palace which has a good nights entertainment for not too much money. If you fancy a villa or apartment there are plenty of places to hire at reasonable rates. Worth looking online at some of the owners abroad type sites. I think the likes of James Villas are a bit expensive. Lots of good Spanish restaurants and the locals are very friendly too ,especially if you try your Spanish. The weather is usually good as well with plenty of sunshine.

Edited at 02:28 AM.
Pagan8c is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Tenerife is good to. Especially like the quieter resorts of Los Gigantes, Puerto de Santiago and Playa la Arena, I would personally avoid Playa de las Americas and Los Christianos.
Try Villa Plus or James Villa Holidays for some great self catering options on the island.
Tenerife also has a great Water Park - Siam Park and Loro Parque - a zoo based park with a couple of Seaworld type shows.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

We had a fabulous holiday in Estepona a couple of years ago. We stayed at Colina Del Paraiso, booked on booking.com We had a 3 bed apartment with a fabulous roof terrace that looked out over Gibraltar. There was a fridge and hot tub on the roof, we are all our meals up there so was handy to have juice, milk, butter etc on had. The apartments are modern, very well equipped with a great kitchen and small utility area. We didn't really use the lounge, but it was spacious and comfortable. All bedrooms en suite. The pool areas were lovely, 3 pools IIRC, and the restaurant was lovely, with views over the beautiful golf courses. You're a small drive from the pretty mountain village of Benahavis, where restaurants are amazing, and a small drive to numerous great beaches. Its an easy drive to Gibraltar, Puerto Banus, and many other beautiful places. Can't recommend it enough.

We've also enjoyed a great holiday at Los Amigos Beach Club, Diamond Resorts. Had a stunning 2 bed condo round the main pool, but there's a beautiful secluded pool in a wooded area past some tennis courts. The beach is walkable and the restaurant was also great. Again, got a fab deal through booking.com

Crown resorts Club Calahonda was a cheapy holiday we had one year, not quite as modern, but lovely large apartments with great pools and facilities.

Love Spain!

Edited at 09:58 AM.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List