Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 9 Feb 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Don't know about the mini but you never have any bother linking
Our sun pass in the garage but ian has put it on the window then linked the car when we get to the villa that also works Biggest issue with ours is getting thekids to remember to take it off their hire cars
A swiftly worded tex asthe turn the villa alarm on to got other airport helps
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Don't know about the mini but you never have any bother linking
Our sun pass in the garage but ian has put it on the window then linked the car when we get to the villa that also works Biggest issue with ours is getting thekids to remember to take it off their hire cars
A swiftly worded tex asthe turn the villa alarm on to got other airport helps
Helen

Thanks but I think we'll stick to cash if the VTP is suspended in future if we're only doing the 417 MCO - Highgate run at around $4-5 though. If we have plans to do lots of driving on the 408, 417, 429 and Osceola box I'm happy with the Alamo Sunpass scheme.

Intrigued by your countdown though. Are you doing a road trip across the States and adding Hawaii? If so have a fantastic time

Mick & Joan
Old 9 Feb 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Mick it as supposed to be a round the world trip for my 60th and and Ruby wedding anniversary but circumstances we had to drastically change it
We were to do Europe Middle East Hong Kong and Singapore then Coast to Coast Australia then Hawaii SanFrancisco Texas Mount Rushmore and back to the villa then Iceland
And home around 5/6 months away
It's Now Dublin Valantines weekend then SF then Hawaii we've managed to put Texas and Mount Rushmore back in then back to Florida around 9 weeks in all
Family have been fantasticin stepping in to make this half possible all be it a very different trip
The other half is still to come
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Mick it as supposed to be a round the world trip for my 60th and and Ruby wedding anniversary but circumstances we had to drastically change it
We were to do Europe Middle East Hong Kong and Singapore then Coast to Coast Australia then Hawaii SanFrancisco Texas Mount Rushmore and back to the villa then Iceland
And home around 5/6 months away
It's Now Dublin Valantines weekend then SF then Hawaii we've managed to put Texas and Mount Rushmore back in then back to Florida around 9 weeks in all
Family have been fantasticin stepping in to make this half possible all be it a very different trip
The other half is still to come
Helen

Sorry that you had to change but your revised plans sound fantastic. Have a great time.

Mick
Old 9 Feb 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
OP do you even need a transponder?
You mentioned Tampa and old town no tolls there
And if you cross one it will be possible to pay. Quite unlikely that reduced rates save you the $4.99 initial fee
If you go down to Miami it's another story though

Anyway I have just removed my 2019 Switzerland highway pass from my windshield ... Took me 2 hours to scratch and clean that glue. ... Don't know how the sunpass sticker compares but that's not something I would like to find out right before returning a hire car ... Let alone the trip to the store to buy what I needed for the job (and that would cost more than the potential saving on tolls?
Maybe someone has experience on removing sunpass stickers but it's something I would definitely want to know about before whacking one on a rental car windshield
They say on the link you posted that it will not work if removed from windshield. It means it's theft protected and will break when you remove it and will be a pain to get fully rid of
Hi
Exactly like your Swiss pass it’s a pain to remove definitely wouldn’t get a mini pass and try and remove it when returning the vehicle.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mighty Lion
Earning More Ears

OP do you even need a transponder?
You mentioned Tampa and old town no tolls there
And if you cross one it will be possible to pay. Quite unlikely that reduced rates save you the $4.99 initial fee
If you go down to Miami it's another story though

Anyway I have just removed my 2019 Switzerland highway pass from my windshield ... Took me 2 hours to scratch and clean that glue. ... Don't know how the sunpass sticker compares but that's not something I would like to find out right before returning a hire car ... Let alone the trip to the store to buy what I needed for the job (and that would cost more than the potential saving on tolls?
Maybe someone has experience on removing sunpass stickers but it's something I would definitely want to know about before whacking one on a rental car windshield
They say on the link you posted that it will not work if removed from windshield. It means it's theft protected and will break when you remove it and will be a pain to get fully rid of
Chmurf - The money saved just on the run to and from Kennedy almost pays for the Mini Pass. Thats not even taking into account the possible trips to the beach we have planned as well. Only real concern is the residue it may leave when removing from windscreen... Still, I've a couple of months to decide anyway
Mighty Lion is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mighty Lion View Post
Chmurf - The money saved just on the run to and from Kennedy almost pays for the Mini Pass. Thats not even taking into account the possible trips to the beach we have planned as well. Only real concern is the residue it may leave when removing from windscreen... Still, I've a couple of months to decide anyway
You might be better off with the larger one you can move between cars if you visit regularly. That one is about $20 but will last for years.

I have automatic top up on my Sunpass so I don't have to worry about keeping track of the balance.
Old 11 Feb 20, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mighty Lion View Post
Chmurf - The money saved just on the run to and from Kennedy almost pays for the Mini Pass.
on US 528 joining close to MCO and exiting for KSC, cash rates are $3.75 each way, sunpass rates $2.82 (current)

that's a $.93 savings each way, or $1.86 return

the sunpass mini costs $4.99 + tax ($5.31)

that's not what I would qualify as "almost pays for the pass" ... that's just about 1/3rd of it ... compared to paying the tolls cash (as long as you have quarters)

meaning you'll need to do 3 round trips to the beach (east coast) or KSC to break even with the purchase of the sunpass mini (you'd come ahead by 27 cents if you made 3 trips to the east coast (there are also toll free roads to much nicer beaches on the west coast, just sayin')

and that's even before thinking of the glue on the windshield

I understand the idea behind your research on the sunpass mini, but in the end, it will be time wasted to save a buck or two (or even less than that)

you decide, I'm just trying to give perspective.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Mighty Lion
Earning More Ears

Mobile

on US 528 joining close to MCO and exiting for KSC, cash rates are $3.75 each way, sunpass rates $2.82 (current)

that's a $.93 savings each way, or $1.86 return

the sunpass mini costs $4.99 + tax ($5.31)

that's not what I would qualify as "almost pays for the pass" ... that's just about 1/3rd of it ... compared to paying the tolls cash (as long as you have quarters)

meaning you'll need to do 3 round trips to the beach (east coast) or KSC to break even with the purchase of the sunpass mini (you'd come ahead by 27 cents if you made 3 trips to the east coast (there are also toll free roads to much nicer beaches on the west coast, just sayin')

and that's even before thinking of the glue on the windshield

I understand the idea behind your research on the sunpass mini, but in the end, it will be time wasted to save a buck or two (or even less than that)

you decide, I'm just trying to give perspective.
That's not correct. I've done the calculator. From celebration Avenue to the last toll plaza a 1 way journey is over $5. That's direct from the sun pass toll calculator. The only way it's cheaper is if I dont pay at celebration av. Obviously im not a toll genius, but that's what I see when putting start and end points in. I also never said I was defo getting this, i just enquired as to where i could possibly buy it. It's just a way to possibly save a little money. As I also said, I'm concerned about the residue left after.. but thanks for your input anyway
Mighty Lion is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Siff
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I have often wondered about this mini pass thing. My question is, aren't the plates on rental vehicles already linked to the toll system? Do you have the possibilty of being charged twice or is the system smart enough to read the mini pass transponder alone?
Siff is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List