Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Sep 13, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
pilgrimk8
Excited about Disney

pilgrimk8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
August advice (out of my comfort zone...)

Hi guys, I'm after a bit of advice please. I am quite the expert at off season vacations, but with DD's GCSE's looming, we are now limited to August for our Orlando fix. I knew we would be paying a darn sight more for going at this time of year... but triple?!
We were hoping to do a 3wk stay next year but may have to go with 2 due to the prices... is it best to wait until January sales to book or does it not make that much difference?
We are so used to paying around £450 rtn that the thought of paying over £1000 makes my eyes bleed
Any fellow dibbers able to cast their expertise in this direction...ideas of prices etc
We are 2 adults, 3 kids ( 5, 10, 15) and would prefer to fly direct.
Old 11 Sep 13, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I can relate to what you are saying, and my son is 15 hence why we also go in school hols. I only booked our flights today and it is silly money. I wouldn't expect to get £450 return prices again uless you go off season and maybe in direct. For July/ August you will be looking at around £800 plus each.

Life is short and even though I hate paying the inflated prices, the choice is no Florida.

Bear in mind that the taxes alone are over £300 each, so that doesn't help the prices.

I personally don't think prices will go down in Jan for peak times and that is why I have booked mine. I have been to Florida the past 4 Augusts in a row and i don't think I've ever seen an empty seat except in club.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 13, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mouse mess
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 99
Having been for 2 weeks and 3 weeks, I have to say if you are careful with your money (eating in more etc) then it's isn't massively more expensive. The flights are the huge cost and they are the same if you go for two or three weeks, are you looking through travel agents? If so, DIY will come out a lot cheaper
Mouse mess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 13, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post

I don't think there is any way to get away from this. Flying indirect will help and staying 2 weeks will drop the accommodation cost by 1/3. For us we go for 17 nights which seems about right. we do all the parks, some twice, have a few more restful or shopping days. Its soon gone.You could get rid of the extra food cost for the 3rd week by eating in more...but its so cheap anyway!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 13, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
We go July/August and find the cheapest way to do it is to go indirect. For us the savings are worth the extra couple of hours travel time. I am waiting and hoping to pick up flights for around £500 each for next year.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 13, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
For us to go in the school summer holidays last month we had to fly indirect for the first time. We quite enjoyed it, everything went smoothly and for £460 each, it was a fantastic price.
Old 11 Sep 13, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
creamcake
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by pilgrimk8 View Post
We are so used to paying around £450 rtn that the thought of paying over £1000 makes my eyes bleed
I know how you feel .. I REALLY REALLY want to go next August as I think it will be the last time DS1 will want to holiday with us, but like you have mentioned the flights alone are coming in at ridiculous prices .. where are most people finding the indirect flights?
creamcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 13, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
pilgrimk8
Excited about Disney

pilgrimk8's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks folks! I dont bother booking via a TA as I havent yet found one that comes within a million miles of the prices I get haha ( I dread to think what a TA would quote me right now anyway! )
Where/when are you guys getting flights for £460/£500? I could be persuaded to fly indirect for that price!
x
Old 11 Sep 13, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by creamcake View Post
I know how you feel .. I REALLY REALLY want to go next August as I think it will be the last time DS1 will want to holiday with us, but like you have mentioned the flights alone are coming in at ridiculous prices .. where are most people finding the indirect flights?
Keep checking the likes of Kayak or Skyscanner, the dates I am after are just out now, Virgin want over £1,000 each and indirect are about £800. Expect them to start coming down around the end of September beginning of October.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 13, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
pilgrimk8
Excited about Disney

pilgrimk8's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Also...just going slightly off topic...what are the general wait times for rides in August?