Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jun 18, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw1991
Imagineer

Mobile Advice on a work incident

I’m a nanny and have worked for the family for 2 and a half years. I start my maternity leave in September. I feel like there’s been a slight atmosphere since announcing the pregnancy to them although they acted as though they are happy for me.

I’ve always had an agreement with them that I will not work if the children have diarrhoea or vomiting or anyone in their house as it defeats the object not to go in for the children but then go in if they have it. They do not pay me sick pay so why should I catch a potential bug?

Fast forward - they did a risk assessment after announcing my pregnancy in which it just states avoid infectious people and no work for 48hrs if diarrhoea or vomiting within the house.

Yesterday morning I received a message saying the mother was at home with a dicky tummy and flu like symptoms. I immediately went into panic mode and messaged back stating if she had diarrhoea I really shouldn’t be expected to come in. Their idea was for me to meet with the children at school and stay out of the house all day. I said I couldn’t be expected to stay out for 8/9hours. They had plenty of opportunity when I was messaging to make clear to me if she didn’t have a diarrhoea bug but they didn’t so I assume this is what she had. They then told me don’t worry see me next week.

Then I received an email from them last night completely hacking into me. It’s about 10 paragraphs long. Telling me I refused to come into work. That I now can’t take 2 of my days holiday in August to make up for the 2 days this week. They say I have breached my contract with them. They’ve now said that the infectious but in the risk assessment was meant for things that can harm my baby IE measles etc and that I should have employed common sense regarding this! Although they’ve now sent me a revised risk assessment to sign.

They’ve then gone on about lots of other things which have never even been bought to my attention before and tried making me feel guilty for other things in there!

I now feel absolutely awful and stressed out and the thought of returning there makes me want to cry! I’m supposed to be meeting with them Monday evening before I return to work on Tuesday. Just looking for other people’s views on this. Sorry for the long post!
wdw1991 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

Unless they are going to pay you maternity pay tell them to get stuffed. Otherwise smile sweetly and wait for said leave.
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw1991
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Feebee2 View Post
Unless they are going to pay you maternity pay tell them to get stuffed. Otherwise smile sweetly and wait for said leave.
Il get SMP walking away at the moment isn’t really an option I’m going to have to stick it out. I don’t think il be returning though!
wdw1991 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
JellyEllieBean
Imagineer

Causing undue stress to you should also be on the risk assessment, as employers they have a duty of care towards your health and well being.

Have a look at the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regs as there is something in there about the law and pregnant employees.

Good luck x
Old 8 Jun 18, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wdw1991 View Post
I’m a nanny and have worked for the family for 2 and a half years. I start my maternity leave in September. I feel like there’s been a slight atmosphere since announcing the pregnancy to them although they acted as though they are happy for me.

I’ve always had an agreement with them that I will not work if the children have diarrhoea or vomiting or anyone in their house as it defeats the object not to go in for the children but then go in if they have it. They do not pay me sick pay so why should I catch a potential bug?

Fast forward - they did a risk assessment after announcing my pregnancy in which it just states avoid infectious people and no work for 48hrs if diarrhoea or vomiting within the house.

Yesterday morning I received a message saying the mother was at home with a dicky tummy and flu like symptoms. I immediately went into panic mode and messaged back stating if she had diarrhoea I really shouldn’t be expected to come in. Their idea was for me to meet with the children at school and stay out of the house all day. I said I couldn’t be expected to stay out for 8/9hours. They had plenty of opportunity when I was messaging to make clear to me if she didn’t have a diarrhoea bug but they didn’t so I assume this is what she had. They then told me don’t worry see me next week.

Then I received an email from them last night completely hacking into me. It’s about 10 paragraphs long. Telling me I refused to come into work. That I now can’t take 2 of my days holiday in August to make up for the 2 days this week. They say I have breached my contract with them. They’ve now said that the infectious but in the risk assessment was meant for things that can harm my baby IE measles etc and that I should have employed common sense regarding this! Although they’ve now sent me a revised risk assessment to sign.

They’ve then gone on about lots of other things which have never even been bought to my attention before and tried making me feel guilty for other things in there!

I now feel absolutely awful and stressed out and the thought of returning there makes me want to cry! I’m supposed to be meeting with them Monday evening before I return to work on Tuesday. Just looking for other people’s views on this. Sorry for the long post!
Clearly I do not know all of your history of pregnancies or that of your employment so there may well be extenuating circumstances for everything but from what I read here I do think you are over reacting. Pregnancy is not an illness people have to get on an work while they are pregnant.

You could easily bump into someone in the street or use a WC after someone with D and V but as long as you take precautions with hand washing you will be fine and so will your baby.

I was nurse during my pregnancies and worked through without a day of despite dealing with infections on a daily basis, my daughter is a paediatrician and deals with sick kids all day long through her pregnancies.

I do think you could take the kids out for the day, parents do that all the time.

As a mum if I was sick in bed I would be really hacked off if my nanny took the day of when I was ill.

So those are just my opinions, the trouble is when things go wrong people also comment on the other things that haven’t been so bad but they have swept under the carpet. All of it comes out.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes stick with it. They won't want to pay SMP so if you feel like they are being unreasonable say so. You don't want to be bullied out.
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

If they employ you as opposed to via an agency they are responsible for your pension/maternity pay etc. While you are on maternity leave they will have to employ another nanny so it means paying twice. I wonder if they are trying to dismiss you to avoid the hit.
Or you are all baby hormones & are reading too much into the email.
Either way you need to sit down & talk with the parents. Check out you rights on the goverment website.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw1991
Imagineer

Mobile

My OH has read the email and thinks it’s really harsh. They are a small employer so HMRC will pay my SMP.
Old 8 Jun 18, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by storm View Post
If they employ you as opposed to via an agency they are responsible for your pension/maternity pay etc. While you are on maternity leave they will have to employ another nanny so it means paying twice. I wonder if they are trying to dismiss you to avoid the hit.
Or you are all baby hormones & are reading too much into the email.
Either way you need to sit down & talk with the parents. Check out you rights on the goverment website.
my first thoughts

although agree with the above it would be almost impossible to avoid unknowingly coming into contact with 'infected' people in everyday situations and dont recall such advise given to my mrs when pregnant?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw1991
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
my first thoughts

although agree with the above it would be almost impossible to avoid unknowingly coming into contact with 'infected' people in everyday situations and dont recall such advise given to my mrs when pregnant?
I agree but it’s an agreement between myself and the family that I won’t work in their house if they have it. As I said - they don’t pay me if I am off sick so why should I be expected to go and care for them with an infectious D&V bug if I could then potentially catch it and not be paid.

The point is also that I hadn’t refused to go to work they didn’t answer my messages on what I was expected to do for the day and then told me hey had made other arrangements!