Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Aug 18, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

my first trip as a single parent (kind of) highs and lows

Let me clarify this trip to WDW has been a trip of two halves. Myself and my DD13 have been here for the whole two weeks and my OH here for th first week. So for the second week I was doing the "single parent" bit.

So what have I learnt from this trip ? OH may not agree but here goes (I may add to this as I remember stuff after the initial post)

1) flying indirect saves money but it does mean a very late arrival. Next time try and find direct flights at a reasonable price (yeah right)

2) using the fairy tale shopper service where our shopping was delivered to us when we arrived on the Saturday night was a Godsend (thanks Beth and Tim)

3) for us collecting OH and DS on the Friday and leaving on the Saturday when OH and DS finished school on the Friday may not have been fair on them.

4) having a villa with a private pool was perfect for DS as it gave him a chance to cool off in the intense heat.

5) Alamo skip the counter worked well as did sunpass.

6) dont try and battle the heat in the parks. Accept you will not do everything in your time here (two weeks in our case)

7) the "3 feel at home" SIM has been wonderful - in fact I've probably taken it for granted. DS and OH coped OK with WiFi in the villa and parks

8) longhorns is amazing

9) our Fairfx cards didn't let us down at all. OH came across a thread on the dibb which suggested having a card which gets left in The villa and sub cards which you carry around with you that you top up every day. This worked really well for us.

10) this is controversial! Illuminations is brilliant and I love it but it's time has come to be replaced

11) my new favourite disney fireworks are happy ever after...but then I have been known to be a soppy git !

12) never ever say this is the last time you are coming back!

13) loved the photo pass service (especially as it was free with our tickets)

14) no matter how many times you tell a teenager "the pool deck will get slippery when wet so don't run" They Will ignore you and the inevitable will happen.

15) multiple port USB chargers are extremely useful

16) for us staying at a rented apartment at Heathrow the night before we travelled was a good idea.

99) (leaving space for other thoughts) never EVER underestimate the power of the dibb. Someone on here will know the answer To Your question

My son and I are going home tomorrow but tbh we are at this stage where-apart from trying to pack every thing he has acquired- we are ready to return now

I would love to have brought my DD19 out for a week but she couldn't get the time off of work it Would have been magical to have my two princesses here with me but it wasn't to be.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I tend to be on the dibb quiet a bit.
Old 3 Aug 18, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Bugsy

I know we've had our share of humorous exchanges on here since you joined but I genuinely know how much you were looking forward to this holiday.

I was very happy to have provided what bits of help I did especially on Longhorn and toll plazas

Mick
Old 3 Aug 18, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Bugsy

I know we've had our share of humorous exchanges on here since you joined but I genuinely know how much you were looking forward to this holiday.

I was very happy to have provided what bits of help I did especially on Longhorn and toll plazas

Mick
Mich - when instated invading the dibb with my pointless threads the thought that actually I may come back here was a distant dream. But at the time of writing I am sitting under the lanai (which has been extremely useful when the storms have come) watching the lizards scurry across the pool cover.

Thank you for your input Mick. It is appreciated !
Old 3 Aug 18, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Mich - when instated invading the dibb with my pointless threads the thought that actually I may come back here was a distant dream. But at the time of writing I am sitting under the lanai (which has been extremely useful when the storms have come) watching the lizards scurry across the pool cover.

Thank you for your input Mick. It is appreciated !
Is that a Mick lanai or a Johnny Irwin lanai?

You need to get back with a bit of Quality Control on "Sunday in five words" - too many using four or six.

Mick

Edited at 12:46 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Is that a Mick lanai or a Johnny Irwin lanai?

You need to get back with a bit of Quality Control on "Sunday in five words" - too many using four or six.

Mick
Yes I do about at the tv when he does that !

But to remove any doubt

Old 3 Aug 18, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Yes I do about at the tv when he does that !

But to remove any doubt

Are any presenters from "A place in the sun" watching (apart from Jasmine obviously )

Pool screen on the left. Lanai on the right.

Mick
Old 3 Aug 18, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

Remembering magic bands, phones etc as you leave villa, car etc ... is a really good plan!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

Hi Buggsy, any top tips for us. Will be doing single parent for two weeks with twins aged 13. We are staying on site.
Cheers
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Apricota View Post
Hi Buggsy, any top tips for us. Will be doing single parent for two weeks with twins aged 13. We are staying on site.
Cheers
Have they been to WDW before ? In the summer? I have very limited experience of teenagers in this heat but as long as they have Wi-Fi/ aircon / pool they seem 5o be ok

Just be careful - don't expect miracles. I think I may have pushed him too hard on the first week and now it's backfired on me.
Old 3 Aug 18, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

They have been in the summer before. Have suggested they chose some things to do, but not interest. Hoping it will be fine when we get there. And have to remind myself to chill.
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List