Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Dec 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I didn't know people got paid bonuses. It's a new one on me - and I'm 56 and have been working since I was 20!
I have never had one either. None of Army, Police and NHS seemed to buy into this.. at least not at my pay grades.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I didn't know people got paid bonuses. It's a new one on me - and I'm 56 and have been working since I was 20!
Lots of people get paid bonuses, usually performance and sales based. My daughter works for an insurance firm. She receives an annual bonus based on performance ie saving the company money and a shares bonus

It’s actually quite common in certain industries
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I have never had one either. None of Army, Police and NHS seemed to buy into this.. at least not at my pay grades.
Like Mrs YT Cornish you worked for the police I think- the pensions are a bonus in themselves compared to the private sector. I always say, if the careers officers had told me about the police pensions, I would have gone in. My mate got high up, retired at 48 and is on very nice lolly. He said to me- but I paid in. When I told him his pot would need to be around £2m for what he has, he was surprised. Now that is a bonus. My wife has not got nearly as much as him lined up, but it is still healthy and would beat most bonuses overall.There are swings and roundabouts in private v public sector jobs- speaking from experience.
Old 5 Dec 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I worked for a company many years ago that paid an attendance bonus. So the more sick time staff took off the less attendance bonus all the staff would get (so even if you never went sick and other staff did you would get a lower bonus). It definitely helped to lower sick days, and the regular offenders that would go off sick with non genuine things such as a hangovers, would get stick from the other staff and it reduced the amount of days lost through sickness.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Like Mrs YT Cornish you worked for the police I think- the pensions are a bonus in themselves compared to the private sector. I always say, if the careers officers had told me about the police pensions, I would have gone in. My mate got high up, retired at 48 and is on very nice lolly. He said to me- but I paid in. When I told him his pot would need to be around £2m for what he has, he was surprised. Now that is a bonus. My wife has not got nearly as much as him lined up, but it is still healthy and would beat most bonuses overall.There are swings and roundabouts in private v public sector jobs- speaking from experience.

Agreed. I am not complaining, merely observing. I have been treated well over the years.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I joined an NHS job and two years later got ‘outsourced’ to the lowest and only bidder.. MITIE. In the 5 years since, I have never received a pay rise.

To be fair, they have scrupulously observed my preserved pay and conditions under TUPI, Pension, Annual Leave, Shift Enhancements, Sickness benefits(not that I have ever been sick)and all increments .. They have treated me fairly. I am now however, 82p/hour behind where I would have been, had we stayed within the NHS.

I foresee no pay rise before my retirement date, 25 May 2026... (when my State Pension is payable) unless of course, we are taken back in. I will not be seeking alternative employment because, as I said, they have treated me very fairly throughout. I feel valued, despite the absence of any pay rise or prospect of one.

Of course my age (59 yrs) precludes any realistic prospect of a decent job or the gaining of new skills in my time remaining. I might not find any further employment at all!

Fortunately, I have seen half decent (comparatively) pay rises on my Police Pension.
I work for Mitie too. I have a bonus in my contract, only started in June though so we’ll see