Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jan 20, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

New Passport or Not

DD15 and DS10 have passports that run out on 1st September. I had planned on renewing on our return (they have current valid ESTAs also) however, I am now debating due to us leaving the EU imminently whether or not to renew before the 31st Jan. I don't imagine the 6 months requirement to come into effect but then I thought The Simpson's 'DT' as president was implausible so clearly I have no idea

Also and I know this is wishful thinking but what would happen if we were forced to extend our stay in the US for whatever reason and their passports ran out?

I was holding off because dd turns 16 in July and will be eligible for an adult passport of course if I renew now it will be another child passport which is frustrating.
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020

Edited at 08:32 PM.
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Dds passport runs out in March, we’re off to Florida in Feb and I’m going to renew when we return.

We’ll have 6 weeks until we need her passport next after we return, that should be plenty of time to renew hopefully.
Bellasmummy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
loopyloo33
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Leaving the EU has no impact on the passport requirements in my opinion.

How long between you due to return and the passports expiring?
loopyloo33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

You may need to look in to this further but I am sure I read something about any extra time added to a passport would not count any more once we leave the EU.

So, for example you renew your passport in may 2015 but it is valid until sept 2015 they would add on those extra months and you would effectively have a 5 year 3 month passport. Just check that this still counts to be on the safe side if this situation applies to you kids passports.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

As long as your passport is valid for the length of your stay in US, then there isn't a problem, if it runs out due to illness or whatever, then the British Embassy would sort a temporary one for you.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
You may need to look in to this further but I am sure I read something about any extra time added to a passport would not count any more once we leave the EU.

So, for example you renew your passport in may 2015 but it is valid until sept 2015 they would add on those extra months and you would effectively have a 5 year 3 month passport. Just check that this still counts to be on the safe side if this situation applies to you kids passports.
They haven't added the extra months on for some time. If it has any months left on it on renewal, then those months are lost.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loopyloo33 View Post
Leaving the EU has no impact on the passport requirements in my opinion.

How long between you due to return and the passports expiring?
This is what the government site says
gov.uk/guidance/passport...e-after-brexit
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
loopyloo33
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
This is what the government site says
gov.uk/guidance/passport...e-after-brexit
But this is for only travel to Europe.

I dont think they have said there are any changes to travel to US. The requirement for the US is validity fo the duration of your stay
loopyloo33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

See below from the US Embassy website.

Bellasmummy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

We'll have 8 days left on their passports.

Reading the information about Europe can I just confirm that if we had say 4 months left on passports on 1st Feb but had a DLP booking for Feb half term we would need to renew before going? Sorry this might be blatantly obvious but I didnt expect to need longer on a passport for Europe than for US so just want to double check I'm reading this correctly.
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List