Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 7 Feb 20, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jlbf06
Apprentice Imagineer

Cabana Bay 2 Bedroom Suite

We are looking at one of these as they offer some space combined with a resort feel and access to the parks.

Has anyone stayed in one and could recommend? Do they all face Volcano Bay? The views look amazing on the ones I can find on youtube.

I'm a bit worried at the prospect of Universal without express passes too!
jlbf06 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Potterer
Very Serious Dibber

I think all the 2 bed suites are in the towers, so there is good and maybe not so good.

We specifically paid for a volcano bay view which was stunning, but it also meant we heard them before opening time with the drum beat before the wave machine starts. This didn't bother us as we are rope droppers and we were in VB most mornings. We were in Americanas on the last "leg" at the end meaning the path to get into VB was at the end of our block.

So walk wise to VB, a dream, walk wise to go and get food a bit of a trek. This can be fine but does depend on mobility and willingness of children. It was about 5-6 minute walk from our room. This also makes an impact on getting to the park. We walked it both ways as getting a bus would have meant a walk through citywalk anyway.

Re no Express, we countered this by staying at RPR later on, but you can rope drop and get on several rides before it becomes a queueing nightmare. It depends if you have been before and what rides you most want.
August 2019 CBBR & RPR Club level Post GCSE treat
Potterer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
jlbf06
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for your reply, that’s really informative. We’ve been a few times before and upgraded to annual passes in December so this is a return trip to make the most of our $50 investment (DH still not quite sure how getting bargain upgrades and booking a return trip to use them actually saved him money lol).

It’s a shortish trip, 10 nights but into Miami so we lose time either end driving back and forth. So probably 4/5 nights at Universal followed by a few onsite at Disney. It’s Halloween week so I’m worried that it’ll be busy and we might need those passes, which is a shame as I’d love to have the space that the suites offer. We have two boys but with age gaps (8,15) and the teen refuses to share a bed with his little brother. We usually have some villa time but DH would like to enjoy some time at City Walk/resort without all the driving.

The suites at the deluxe hotels are a crazy price in comparison and these offer so much space.

Decisions decisions!
jlbf06 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

the 2 bedroom suites are all located in the Bayside or Beachside Towers (the 2 new round towers)
they're all considered "volcano view"

do you really need a 2 bedroom suite ?

Family suites have 2 queen sized beds in the sleeping area, as well as a full size pull out sofa bed in the living area

it will sleep the 4 of you in separate beds (kids wise) and will be cheaper than the 2 bedroom suites, even though you will get a little less space (430sq.ft for family suites, vs. 772sq.ft for 2 bedroom suites)
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
jlbf06
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you, we stayed in one of the family suites before - it was external entry and I wasn’t keen on how dark the back of the room was. Also I disliked the bathroom being directly opposite the beds - completely irrational I'm sure, but I just didn’t like the room layout for some reason. Which is a shame because it has everything otherwise!
Old 10 Feb 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Potterer
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by jlbf06 View Post
We have two boys but with age gaps (8,15) and the teen refuses to share a bed with his little brother.
My two sons are best friends so it makes a difference and even though the eldest sleeps like a starfish at times, and the youngest is a cover stealer they know that they either share or we don't go. They just have to suck it up for 2-3 weeks.

I do know that some on here who have a son and a daughter use a blow up mattress so that one of them is on that for the duration of the holiday or they take it in turns. You can get one when you are out there.

For us the room is just a place to sleep, shower and get changed so we don't pay huge amounts for the rooms but usually location or the feel of the resort. We looked at suites at the other Universal hotels not the deluxe ones though.
August 2019 CBBR & RPR Club level Post GCSE treat
Potterer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List