Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Feb 20, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
darren2175
Excited about Disney

darren2175's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Travel Insurance - with pre-existing

Hi,

Anyone know of any good travel insurance companies that allow you to declare medical conditions but specifically allow you to not take cover for certain conditions.

I have one condition that I'm not bothered about being covered for (I know the risks) and I have another which I absolutely want to be covered for. It is the one I'm not bothered about that seems to be costing so much (over 1k) so I want to remove it but still be covered for the other condition.

I have found some companies where it it's all or nothing.

Anyone done excluded a declared condition but still been covered for something else?

D.
darren2175 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
I would cover all your conditions or you risk having a claim denied.

If the extra is that much it must be a very significant medical condition.
I suffer from anxiety & take meds & it wouldn't cause me to be ill or cause an accident. (cost me £49) extra to add it on TSB account insurance) However if I needed to claim for illness etc & wasn't insured for that part it could void the whole thing.

Is it really worth the risk?
Old 16 Feb 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Something to note from very recent experience that may or may not help here.

I found when using travel comparison sites they group pre-conditions like so

A : the life threatening stuff like heart conditions and cancer

B : everything else

I have nothing in A but under B I had two conditions - one was recent and the other was years ago but had to declare per the questions. Premiums were very high as a consequence.

However when you phone an insurance company (and note this was one of the very same that came up on the list):

For A it’s the same - you must declare anything you ever had in this category

For B it is only if you needed treatment in last two years. So didn’t need to declare first issue. Then for second one they simply excluded (and I’m fine with that, but this didn’t seem to be an option online .)

Their premium was now about 60% less than what they had quoted via the online comparison site

So if you’ve not done so, call them. It seems online is far too blunt an instrument.

Company in question was Spectrum insurance but I expect what I learnt is true of most of them.

Edited at 11:02 AM.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
CrochetFreak
Helping Minnie

We have not travelled for a few years now, but the last holiday we had, we used Staysure and the insurance was pretty pricey. Some conditions we gave them really were not of any major concern. We asked if removing some of the conditions would bring the price down.

They said they could do that BUT if anything happened to one of us and it was remotely considered one of the excluded conditions contributed towards the current issue …. we would not be insured.

Your best bet is to discuss this with various insurance companies and if they agree to exclude and say it will NOT affect any claim, get it in writing - an email will be fine.

Or …. you may find an insurance company that will exclude that condition anyway in which case you still need to check about whether it could affect any other issue that may arise.. So hunt around.
CrochetFreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Have you had a look via medical travel compared?

It works differently. You declare everything and the insurance companies bid on you and give you a price. Rather than you getting an insurance price and then phoning up to see what the additional premia is.

I suggest declaring it all and see what comes back. You could always then phone somebody up and see if they would agree to taking the problem one off.

I don't think it will matter at this stage because insurers share info. If you have quoted with it in play it will be recorded somewhere on an insurers database.

So quote with it in and follow it up afterwards.

Only other thing is that there have been a few threads in this recently with some saying their packaged bank accounts were able to assist.

You have to be sure that you are covered to the extent that you want but with insurers fully sighted.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
darren2175
Excited about Disney

darren2175's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 1
It was cancelling my packaged bank account that has led me to this situation - my fault for not checking first that I could obtain insurance at at a reasonable cost.

The same companies who underwrote the insurance for my packaged account won't even cover me at all.

Will check out medical travel compared - thank you.

D
darren2175 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post

We have some expensive items to cover. Have always been advised to get a single policy per trip rather than an annual one as it is point in time insurance. IE. You are insured dependant on the position effective at that time. Annual you declare the condition and they insure against that condition as a whole; or so I have been led to understand.

Might be worth costing both ways.

Good luck.

Edited at 04:15 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
simmofamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by darren2175 View Post
It was cancelling my packaged bank account that has led me to this situation - my fault for not checking first that I could obtain insurance at at a reasonable cost.

The same companies who underwrote the insurance for my packaged account won't even cover me at all.

Will check out medical travel compared - thank you.

D
Have you recently relooked at the conditions with your bank account?
I ask because I was refused medical Insurance with my Natwest account for anything to do with the heart (HA 6 years ago and everthing that goes with that) but recently received a letter to contact them if I wanted re screening.
Apparantly its changed and I'm now covered for worldwide including my heart for an extra £180 for the year.
This is cheap considering I was getting quotes of over £1000 and so ended up travelling without any insurance for the condition
Old 22 Feb 20, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

I was getting some very large financial quotes, but when I checked with one of my bank accounts, who use aviva (Barclays) they covered me with no on cost
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
We have some expensive items to cover. Have always been advised to get a single policy per trip rather than an annual one as it is point in time insurance. IE. You are insured dependant on the position effective at that time. Annual you declare the condition and they insure against that condition as a whole; or so I have been led to understand.

Might be worth costing both ways.

Good luck.
There are a couple of insurers that will give annual policies with declared pre-existing conditions that do not need notifying if new ones crop up within that year, they only have to be declared at renewal. The one I had was with Axa but I know there was another insurer that I can't remember the name of. Their annual policy was cheaper than the single trip for me.
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List