Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Sep 17, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

New York first day - but early flight!

Hi all,

Following on from the 'what to do on the first day/afternoon in New York' thread, we are going to NYC next August, but will be landing at 9am.

Has anyone else had an early morning flight there? I'm planning on sleeping on the plane as much as possible and then trying to do a full on sightseeing day and into the evening. Is that realistic?

We are only having two nights in NYC this time, as whilst I couldn't resist squeezing in a sneaky visit, the bulk of our holiday is in New England, and because we haven't been there before I feel I need to spend as much time there as we can! So with the early flight, I am planning to reduce our three night stay to two, so that I have an extra night in Boston.

We would be planning to spend the majority of the arrival day looking around the 9/11 area (I felt rushed last time and just want some quiet, unhurried time there), the Chelsea markets and high line, then TOTR at sunset and dinner at shake shack in madison square park in the dark under the twinkling lights! Will we last? !

Edited at 08:17 AM.
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

assume your coming from the UK & leave @ 22:00 ?

we flew up from Orlando on the 6am so at MCO for 4am, we slept for at best a couple of hours prior to leaving hotel

arrived at 08:20 and in manhattan by 09:45

we went straight to radio city for a tour round, then down to world trade centre for a look about & trip up one world trade at 13:00, then via shops/battery park onto southstreet seaport. We then walked along to little italy for early ish evening meal. Subway back to hotel via Maceys, hit the hut about 21:00

a long day but im a service engineer so used to oncall/long nights/no sleep but my mrs and daughter 12, took it all in their stride as well

we were only there 3 days so no point in hanging about ;-)
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
assume your coming from the UK & leave @ 22:00 ?

we flew up from Orlando on the 6am so at MCO for 4am, we slept for at best a couple of hours prior to leaving hotel

arrived at 08:20 and in manhattan by 09:45

we went straight to radio city for a tour round, then down to world trade centre for a look about & trip up one world trade at 13:00, then via shops/battery park onto southstreet seaport. We then walked along to little italy for early ish evening meal. Subway back to hotel via Maceys, hit the hut about 21:00

a long day but im a service engineer so used to oncall/long nights/no sleep but my mrs and daughter 12, took it all in their stride as well

we were only there 3 days so no point in hanging about ;-)
The flight leaves UK at 6am and lands at 9am. We will stay overnight at Gatwick but would still have to get up for 3am for check in, so I'm thinking we will try to get at least some sleep on the plane, to hopefully counteract the time difference!

Hopefully we will have as a successful day as you guys did - as you say, I don't want to waste any time when we only have a couple of days!
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
The flight leaves UK at 6am and lands at 9am. We will stay overnight at Gatwick but would still have to get up for 3am for check in, so I'm thinking we will try to get at least some sleep on the plane, to hopefully counteract the time difference!

Hopefully we will have as a successful day as you guys did - as you say, I don't want to waste any time when we only have a couple of days!
of course it does im thinking of time difference west - east

plenty of time to sleep when in the air
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 17, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Mobile

We are also doing this flight. For us only it wouldn't be an issue S I often stay awake 30 odd hours with work, it's our kids I am worried about! I am planning on going straight to our hotel. Then out for a brunch and stroll, back to the hotel around 1 for a few hours sleep and then out til about 10. All good plans...
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

^^

i would try and stay up as late as possible

having a sleep in the day wont help you adjust to the time diff

imo of course..
Old 15 Sep 17, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Mobile

I am thinking more about being able to get the kids to stay awake late enough to try and get into the time difference. We will be up from 3am and I suspect they will probably flake by about 3pm if they don't have a map to last. We will see
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 17, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dreamadream View Post
I am thinking more about being able to get the kids to stay awake late enough to try and get into the time difference. We will be up from 3am and I suspect they will probably flake by about 3pm if they don't have a map to last. We will see
I'm hoping that my boys will sleep on the plane - they will be 14 and 11 when we go and im going to try to say that if we can all not put on the Tv/tablets until half way through the flight and just use the first half at least to rest, then I'm hoping that will mean we will combat the time difference. As you say, best laid plans and all though!

Are you flying Norwegian? We flew with them last month to Florida, and they are meant to have planes that combat jet lag - well for me they definitely worked! (Coming home, it usually takes me over a week to get back to normal, as I can't get off to sleep until at least 2am and then struggle to wake up - this year with NA, I went to sleep at 10pm and awoke at 7am - first night and every night afterwards! So really hoping this will help in NYC too! )
Old 16 Sep 17, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
i_am_armo
Apprentice Imagineer

Amy, yes you will be tired thats going to be a given. Are you landing in Newark or JFK? either or you will need at least 2 hours from landing to get to the hotel.
For me, drop the bags quick shower and freshen up then hit NYC.
I would aim to have plan for day 1 e.g. goto Grand central station to experience that and maybe grab some photos of the Chrysler which is next door, jump on the subway and goto the Empire state maybe?
Where are you staying?

i_am_armo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 17, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by i_am_armo View Post
Amy, yes you will be tired thats going to be a given. Are you landing in Newark or JFK? either or you will need at least 2 hours from landing to get to the hotel.
For me, drop the bags quick shower and freshen up then hit NYC.
I would aim to have plan for day 1 e.g. goto Grand central station to experience that and maybe grab some photos of the Chrysler which is next door, jump on the subway and goto the Empire state maybe?
Where are you staying?
We'd like to stay at the Hilton Times Square as that's our favourite, but it's currently too pricey, so I've booked Radio City apartments.

Either way we will def drop luggage etc first (we fly in to JFK), then I'm thinking that will be our 9/11 day with Chelsea markets afterwards - so no strenuous plans and just the subway down there to save the tired legs! ;-)