Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jun 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
(Not) keeping surprises from the kids

Last week we added a 4-night cruise on the Dream to our upcoming holiday. We decided we'd keep it a surprise from the kids (they know we're staying at the Beach Club and the Contemporary) and we'd let them figure it out for themselves when we left WDW and arrived at Port Canaveral an hour or so later.

We booked a "Guaranteed" verandah stateroom for the cruise. This means that we didn't get to choose our room and Disney would allocate it for us. However it would have to have a verandah so we knew it would be decent. Doing this meant we paid c£3,700 instead of £4,600 for booking a specific room, so well worth it.

This morning I checked our booking and our room has been allocated.

"Our room for our cruise has been allocated" I said to my partner, "and we've got a better one than we could have had."

What I just hadn't processed was that my son was in the same room at the time.

"Wait - we're going on a cruise?" he immediately asked.

My partner looked at me, I looked at her and we both burst out laughing.

He's gone to school very excited. He's been on two cruises before, but he was young so doesn't remember them at all.

We've all agreed to try and keep it secret from my daughter (who doesn't live with us). Will we manage it?

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I cant keep my own spit let alone a secret so I've always told my girls our holiday plans, I'd put my foot in it far too easily lol... Sounds like you have great plans... Fingers crossed you all keep the secret from your daughter 🤞🤞🤞
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Last week we added a 4-night cruise on the Dream to our upcoming holiday. We decided we'd keep it a surprise from the kids (they know we're staying at the Beach Club and the Contemporary) and we'd let them figure it out for themselves when we left WDW and arrived at Port Canaveral an hour or so later.

We booked a "Guaranteed" verandah stateroom for the cruise. This means that we didn't get to choose our room and Disney would allocate it for us. However it would have to have a verandah so we knew it would be decent. Doing this meant we paid c£3,700 instead of £4,600 for booking a specific room, so well worth it.

This morning I checked our booking and our room has been allocated.

"Our room for our cruise has been allocated" I said to my partner, "and we've got a better one than we could have had."

What I just hadn't processed was that my son was in the same room at the time.

"Wait - we're going on a cruise?" he immediately asked.

My partner looked at me, I looked at her and we both burst out laughing.

He's gone to school very excited. He's been on two cruises before, but he was young so doesn't remember them at all.

We've all agreed to try and keep it secret from my daughter (who doesn't live with us). Will we manage it?
Oh Bozza! Let’s hope your big can keep a secret better than you and your daughter doesn’t find out
I was going to say loose lips sink ships but thought I’d better not 🤣
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Haha this did make me chuckle!

I am always amazed how parents manage to keep these trips secret from their children until the very last moment! Our LB is too young at the moment to do this but I don't think I would ever be able to contain my excitement and not let it slip!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

I am almost bursting at the seams that we go to Orlando on 12th August (having booked last April!) and our DD 7 doesn't have a clue 😊 so excited for reveal but still not sure when to do it - am amazed I have not followed suit Bozza as it is usually me that lets stuff slip 😂👍
GezzasGem is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
I am almost bursting at the seams that we go to Orlando on 12th August (having booked last April!) and our DD 7 doesn't have a clue 😊 so excited for reveal but still not sure when to do it - am amazed I have not followed suit Bozza as it is usually me that lets stuff slip 😂👍
Amazing! I am so impressed you have kept it a secret! The anticipation must be at crazy levels now!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
Amazing! I am so impressed you have kept it a secret! The anticipation must be at crazy levels now!
Thanks Lisa - tell me about it! Plus DH has no idea I have upgraded our flights...😆😆😆
GezzasGem is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Oh bless you... it’s so easy done! It will probably be nice for him knowing but keeping it a surprise for your dd... maybe he could come up with the reveal for her
We have booked for August 2020 so it’s ages yet but we have literally told no one about it because it’s so hard to not have conversations about it without dd working out what’s going on! Last time we nearly slipped up SO many times before the reveal - and she’s older and wiser now so I just don’t trust myself 😂

Edited at 02:21 PM.
Th1nkT1nk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
dannigizmo
Serious Dibber

Awwww hahaha it happens!

We havent told my MIL we going to disney last 2 days of hols with a night at CBR and pirates and pals cruise as she will let the cat out of the bag with our dd, as its a surprise for her!

Ive never kept a secret from my DD so am pretty chuffed with myself this time! Best of luck keeping it schum and enjoy...sounds fab!
dannigizmo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

My youngest daughter wanted to surprise me with 2 nights at the Polynesian on our next trip. She sent the message about the surprise to me instead of her sister as she wanted her opinion. Realising what she had done, she immediately sent me a panicked message saying she hoped I hadn't read her previous message about the surprise😂😂😂.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List