Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jan 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Perthite
Very Serious Dibber

I would also recommend using a local garage rather than a dealership. Huge difference in price for the same thing.
Perthite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice.
I’ve just checked the oil and it’s fine. We decided to take the car for a reasonable drive and have DH driving behind just in case!
Just as we were about to leave the windscreen wipers stopped working as well so suspected it was either a catastrophic electric issue or the battery. 30miles in we pulled over, switched off the engine and then back on and all the lights have cleared and windscreen wipers also working.
Hopefully that has resolved it and I will probably either give it a good drive occasionally or better still charge the battery with one of those nifty little devices that someone suggested.
Anyway DH thinks Dibb has encouraged a lot of spending over the year but it also saves money😊
Old 23 Jan 21, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by boo2 View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice.
I’ve just checked the oil and it’s fine. We decided to take the car for a reasonable drive and have DH driving behind just in case!
Just as we were about to leave the windscreen wipers stopped working as well so suspected it was either a catastrophic electric issue or the battery. 30miles in we pulled over, switched off the engine and then back on and all the lights have cleared and windscreen wipers also working.
Hopefully that has resolved it and I will probably either give it a good drive occasionally or better still charge the battery with one of those nifty little devices that someone suggested.
Anyway DH thinks Dibb has encouraged a lot of spending over the year but it also saves money😊
All points to a bad battery

I think you may find the battery is at the end of its life and when you come to start the car on Monday morning it will have the same problems again.

Cold weather, short journeys and a 4 year old battery point to premature battery death.
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by kiwiinabd View Post
All points to a bad battery

I think you may find the battery is at the end of its life and when you come to start the car on Monday morning it will have the same problems again.

Cold weather, short journeys and a 4 year old battery point to premature battery death.
At least I know what it is now and nothing more serious. New battery I can manage. £124 to tell me I need and new battery, followed by the cost of a new battery= a waste of money😊
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Its clearly a poor sensor somewhere, not battery as cars turns over , the classic battery fault.
As all sensors link to engine ECU that's where fault lies, however very hard to find but luckily most are irrelevant.
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Symptoms don't point to a faulty sensor unless it is a battery condition sensor.

Too many systems which are dependent on the battery condition to be other systems sensors.

First real drop in temperature is a common time for these issue to start to occur when a battery is on its last legs. Especially these advanced batteries for stop start cars.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
That's one of the problems with modern cars and their stop/start technology. The S/S does tend to eat battery power. Stella has got a Chrysler Ypsilon, which is basically the same tech as your car and her stop start hasn't been turned on for ages. The other thing is that the batteries for cars with S/S are a lot more expensive than you regular battery. Just checked on Eurocarparts and a regular battery is around £90, while a battery designed for S/S is over £300. Worthwhile shopping around and most importantly avoiding the main dealer, as they will charge you an at least one arm and one leg.

Just make sure that you get a S/S battery when you do get around to changing it or just manage with the S/S.
Old 26 Jan 21, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Its clearly a poor sensor somewhere, not battery as cars turns over , the classic battery fault.
As all sensors link to engine ECU that's where fault lies, however very hard to find but luckily most are irrelevant.
I’ve just had the battery changed but the faults are still happening. It’s not at the start of a journey it’s sometimes after about 15-20mins of driving. There doesn’t seem to be any change in how the car is driving.
Now I need to find a local garage. The one I had recommended seems to be very busy and hasn’t got back to me.
boo2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 21, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

If you’ve had the battery changed and the issues are still happening it could be pointing towards the alternator or some other part of the charging system. Don’t fret about replacing the battery though as with the age and low mileage it would most likely soon require changing anyway. Get yourself a cheap OBD reader (Amazon a good shout) to check fault codes and reset them. I bought one years ago and between myself, family and friends it’s been worth it’s weight in gold.

Edited at 03:59 PM.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 21, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

My BiL has a VW Golf Hybrid. Had what sounds like a similar problem last week - dash lit up like a Christmas tree randomly and stopped dead.
Left it in to main dealer - said it was a "fuse issue". No idea what that meant and I would have been asking a lot more questions. But it is now fixed and that was the "explanation". Sounds like BS to me.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List