Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 30 Oct 19, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Flight options from Honolulu?

Hi all,

I’m driving myself mad with indecision, and wondered your opinion?!

We are flying from Honolulu to Dallas in August and can’t decide the best approach. When I originally planned my itinerary, it was based on where we could fly direct as I’m not a keen flyer, (although I’m getting much better!)

Anyway, the current price for the direct flight to Dallas is £200 more expensive each - which as there are four of us really adds up, so it got me researching and here are the two options I’ve come up with:

Option 1/ direct flight, leaving Honolulu at 8pm, meaning we get a full last day at Aulani. It arrives at 8.30am in Dallas, meaning we will pick up a hire car to drive to southfork and then into Dallas to visit the JFK museum and our overnight hotel.
The downside to this option aside from the price tag, is that 8.30am Dallas time will actually feel like 3.30am to us and so we will probably of had very little sleep before a full on sightseeing day in Dallas (we literally only have that day and the next morning in Dallas).

Option 2/ fly at 8am indirect to lax, have an hour or so there and fly on to Dallas arriving at 10.30pm. We would then stay overnight in the airport hotel (factoring in a runway view room which everyone seems to rave about, as it’s my sons birthday the next morning! The hotel room is quite pricey, but this is included in the £200 savings each above).

Obviously we would then be better fit for our Dallas day the next morning, although DH points out that we in effect lose a day flying which could of been spent in Aulani! We would also have to be up at 5.30am on our last morning in Aulani to get to the airport!

All other indirect flights either have similar times, involve spending hours in the middle of the night in the middle airport, or get us into Dallas too late the next day to do all the sightseeing we want to do, so these really are the only two suitable options for us currently.

I’m just concerned that catching a few short hours of sleep on the night flight and in effect getting off in ‘our’ middle of the night, might unbalance the few days we have in Texas & tiredness might effect the end of the trip.

What would you do? Have you any experience of these type of night flights/time differences - did they effect the rest of your trip?

Many thanks for any opinions👍

Edited at 08:16 AM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

I suppose my response would be to ask how do you cope with tiredness and jet lag? The time difference between Honolulu and Dallas is the sane as between Florida and UK.
Personally, I don’t react well to tiredness and jet lag so option 1 would be a non-starter as I would definitely be a danger to others if driving.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
I suppose my response would be to ask how do you cope with tiredness and jet lag? The time difference between Honolulu and Dallas is the sane as between Florida and UK.
Personally, I don’t react well to tiredness and jet lag so option 1 would be a non-starter as I would definitely be a danger to others if driving.
Thank you that’s really helpful, and I will point the time difference being the same as the U.K. to DH to see if that effects his view (I hadn’t stopped to recognise that! Doh! ).

My DH is the driver and as he is used to long term night work, he actually copes really well with driving. He always drives us back to Devon from Gatwick after a night flight where he’s barely slept, whilst the boys and I sleep (fitfully!) on the plane and then sleep on the car journey home despite my best efforts to stay awake to keep DH company!

He is happier with the night flight and lack of sleep than I am, as he will undoubtedly cope the next day, but he will then want good sleep for the following days and I have lots of plans for San Antonio!

I think he would prefer the night flight as he is all about the Hawaii part of the trip, whereas I am all about seeing Texas for the first time, and for me I’m keen to make the most of the last five days of the trip! We are chalk and cheese! Haha!

Edited at 08:55 AM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I think it would be option 2 for me, and unusually I’m not basing this on cost particularly - I think one or more of you may be liable to struggle with jetlag which could arguably negatively impact your Texas portion (? ) I know it’s hard to predict. I struggle going back West and an overnight flight would leave me feeling bleary eyed. Don’t mind that if I’m just heading home, but...
KarenG is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

I would do LAX & hotel get a good nights sleep
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I think it would be option 2 for me, and unusually I’m not basing this on cost particularly - I think one or more of you may be liable to struggle with jetlag which could arguably negatively impact your Texas portion (? ) I know it’s hard to predict. I struggle going back West and an overnight flight would leave me feeling bleary eyed. Don’t mind that if I’m just heading home, but...
Thanks Karen, that’s my thinking too - I think I’ll let Steve read this thread and hopefully it will convince him of my way of thinking! 👍
Old 30 Oct 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
I would do LAX & hotel get a good nights sleep
Thank you Claire - I’m hoping I can convince DH to go for this option, as I think the more I look at it, the more restful it seems! 👍