Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 28 Oct 19, 12:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Vancouver and Victoria Vancouver island.

We have 9 nights to split between these two places and I am struggling to decide exactly how to do the split. Any ideas? Any must dos in these areas? I know it would be nice to see more of Vancouver island but we really don't want to any more stops as we prefer to get more of a feel for a place. I was initially thinking 3 nights in Victoria and 6 in Vancouver however I have read a few posts where people have said Vancouver island is much nicer than Vancouver.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

I wouldn't spend all my time in Victoria I thought it was OK but wouldn't rush back - for me the jewel in the crown of Vancouver Island is Tofino. 0ne of the most beautiful places I've been to - beaches for miles, brilliant sunsets, wonderful stars, bear watching, whale watching, paddling canoes with First Nation guides to their ancestral homes, excellent food.

Mind you I really like Vancouver as well (there are some dodgy bits but you don't need to go there) and there is loads to see/do:
Stanley Park
Vancouver Aquarium
Grouse Mountain
Granville Island
Boat Trips
Museum of Anthropology (one of the best museums I've been to)
Vancouver Art Museum
Beaches
Aqua bus
Ice Hockey with the Canucks
Soccer with the Whitecaps
Excellent restaurants and a brilliant craft beer/distillery scene
Movie and TV location tours (so many things are filmed in Vancouver)
Yaletown
Kitsalano

So I'd go 4 nights Vancouver, 2 Victoria, 3 Tofino
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 19, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by joxxxxx View Post
I wouldn't spend all my time in Victoria I thought it was OK but wouldn't rush back - for me the jewel in the crown of Vancouver Island is Tofino. 0ne of the most beautiful places I've been to - beaches for miles, brilliant sunsets, wonderful stars, bear watching, whale watching, paddling canoes with First Nation guides to their ancestral homes, excellent food.

Mind you I really like Vancouver as well (there are some dodgy bits but you don't need to go there) and there is loads to see/do:
Stanley Park
Vancouver Aquarium
Grouse Mountain
Granville Island
Boat Trips
Museum of Anthropology (one of the best museums I've been to)
Vancouver Art Museum
Beaches
Aqua bus
Ice Hockey with the Canucks
Soccer with the Whitecaps
Excellent restaurants and a brilliant craft beer/distillery scene
Movie and TV location tours (so many things are filmed in Vancouver)
Yaletown
Kitsalano

So I'd go 4 nights Vancouver, 2 Victoria, 3 Tofino
Thank you, this is so difficult. We absolutely only want to split the stay between two places as on previous holidays have not enjoyed packing up every two to three days. I will take a look at other places on Vancouver island though. If we can fly from Calgary to Tofino that might actually be an option.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 19, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We did 4 nights Vancouver, then picked the car up, took the ferry to Nanaimo and drove to Ucluelet on the west coast. There is just here and Tofino around here. We stayed 6 nights here and absolutely loved it.

We drove to Victoria to take the ferry to Seattle. We had the afternoon there - wasn’t my cup of tea. Like Jo I would pick Tofino/Ucluelet over Victoria anytime!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

We Spent 3 nights in Vancouver and that was more than enough . I had heard such good reports about the place but wasn't impressed . It may have been because we had spent the previous 2 weeks exploring Alaska .I cant offer any advice where else to stay though
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
We went to Vancouver Island and the one thing I loved was Buschard Gardens. It was an old chalk mine that had been converted into this magnificent garden, defo worth going if your there. The main harbour area was really nice as well with lots of Native American stuff around the area, very interesting.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Thank you everyone, I am still unsure but some interesting points to consider. I would like to visit butchart gardens but I'm now not sure if Victoria is the right destination to choose.
Old 29 Oct 19, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Vinniecat View Post
Thank you everyone, I am still unsure but some interesting points to consider. I would like to visit butchart gardens but I'm now not sure if Victoria is the right destination to choose.
We stayed one night in Victoria before moving on further up the island and thought it a bit too short. Would have definitely stopped another night. Preferred Vancouver Island to Vancouver tbh.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

DD and I spent 5 nights in Vancouver last May and loved it. We went to the Aquarium, Granville Island and Stanley Park. We did quite a lot of shopping but just enjoyed wandering around the city. We are planning to go back as there are loads of things we didn't have time to do.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List