Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 21 Apr 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Extra Magic Time is pretty much always the same rides - yes, not many but if you get there first thing you can do Peter Pan, Carousel, Teacups, Dumbo all as walk ons, then go through to Discoveryland and do Buzz, Orbitron and Space Mountain with virtually no queue either. Then go to Frontierland for your BTMR Fastpass and you've done half the park before 11am.

We would never want to go during the Easter holidays (busiest time as the whole of Europe is off at the same time) but we have been many times at quieter times of year and in 11 trips we have never waited more than 40 minutes for anything. All comes down to strategy.

Agree the merch is somewhat lacking and the fast food not great (though the more expensive restaurants can be superb - save your money for the likes of Remy or Walt's).

Interestingly the tactics seem to be the same for Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Anaheim - both 'locals' parks so the wisdom is avoid all weekends and public holidays.

As with so many things, WDW is the exception, not the rule.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Update - the Magic Plus annual passes don't have EMT included any more, sadly.
According to the website the Magic Plus does still include access to EMT. I think it was just guest storage that was taken off from 1 April.

Also, Big Thunder Mountain was added to the list of EMT rides from 1 April.
HFJohnson is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

I have been to Anaheim x1
Orlando x 10
Paris x 3... I usually choose Orlando for a longer stay but I LOVE Paris DL it is a charming ,beautiful park,just as good as the others in my opinion just all on a smaller scale ,so only a few days needed...
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Extra Magic Time is pretty much always the same rides - yes, not many but if you get there first thing you can do Peter Pan, Carousel, Teacups, Dumbo all as walk ons, then go through to Discoveryland and do Buzz, Orbitron and Space Mountain with virtually no queue either. Then go to Frontierland for your BTMR Fastpass and you've done half the park before 11am.

We would never want to go during the Easter holidays (busiest time as the whole of Europe is off at the same time) but we have been many times at quieter times of year and in 11 trips we have never waited more than 40 minutes for anything. All comes down to strategy.

Agree the merch is somewhat lacking and the fast food not great (though the more expensive restaurants can be superb - save your money for the likes of Remy or Walt's).

Interestingly the tactics seem to be the same for Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Anaheim - both 'locals' parks so the wisdom is avoid all weekends and public holidays.

As with so many things, WDW is the exception, not the rule.
I am seasoned at WDW strategy but DLP defeated me! Pinocchio and space mountain were supposed to be EMH but every morning had “technical difficulties” which magically got fixed at 10. Big thunder and the riverboat weren’t supposed to be open but were. We didn’t wait more than 40 mins for anything... but at WDW we never wait more than 15 mins for anything, and that is with visiting at busy tones, eg 4th July. It felt like they randomly opened and closed stuff when they felt like it, and the app wasn’t updated and there was no other info either, so hard to strategise!

Walt’s and phantom manor both weren’t meant to be closed but were. Dumbo also had a scheduled closure. Remy’s was fine but not spectacular and definitely not worth the c.45 euro each it would have cost if out of pocket (we were on meal plan).

Glad others like it and there were lots of pleasant surprises but overall trying to actually get on attractions or eat good food was really frustrating for us!
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyismybff
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by HFJohnson View Post
According to the website the Magic Plus does still include access to EMT. I think it was just guest storage that was taken off from 1 April.

Also, Big Thunder Mountain was added to the list of EMT rides from 1 April.
We are just back from DLP last night and DS has the magic plus pass and went in for magic hour with no problem, and we were still able to take our guest (DH ) in for magic hour on a friend ticket bought with our annual passes too.

After this weekend, I feel like Paris is a beautiful park but in need of some love right now, as little things chip away at the magic here and there. The thing I can never get over is how CMs walk through the park to start or end a shift in their full costume but also their own things and through the other lands - so you might be on the edge of Discoveryland heading to Main Street and come across someone in full Pirates outfit plus a Hogwarts backpack. That is the sort of thing you can lose your job for in WDW and it just stuck out to me so much that then I noticed it everywhere!

But I think mostly I need to get used to the idea of a cold park with Paris! I ended up wearing all the layers in my whole suitcase the last day because it was so cold and wet and windy. What to wear is a significant part of my Disney fun so I need a different mindset!
mickeyismybff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Ha! Our first WDW trip in Dec 2010 was mostly in winter coats, it was minus 2C some days. Personally I hate heat, you can dress for cold weather but there is only so much you can take off before they throw you out of the park...
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

...there is only so much you can take off before they throw you out of the park...
Tell me about it

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DiszeeBelle View Post
I'm of the opposite mind set. Been going to DLP since it opened, finally going to WDW for first time end of July, we will be home for 9 days then head off to DLP with the rest of the family and I can't wait. I'm actually looking forward to DLP more for some strange reason, I think it may be due to the familiarity and knowing how close we are to the parks and the less planning, you can just go with the flow. I'm going to WDW with the mind set that it's a different resort so everything will be different and not to compare.
I feel the same as this. It’s years and years since I went to WDW, so I might feel differently after we go back there next year, but I can’t wait to be booking DLP again. I’m really, really excited to go back to WDW, but DLP is my happy place, and it’s familiar and lovely and easy.

I also think it’s better value. Admittedly, we’re spending a lot on WDW, staying on-site, adding in Universal, etc, so not really comparable, but there’s certainly no way we could get hotel, tickets and travel* for £650, which is what we spent on 5 days on-site (4 of us) last year. And when we did go all out, it was still only £1200 for the Disneyland Hotel, tickets and travel* at Christmas, which doesn’t come close to the cost of our hotel and tickets for WDW, even if we only stayed for a week.

I’m hoping the weather in WDW won’t be quite as hot as our first DLP trip in the summer. We had 37 degree relentless heat every day in DLP in August 2016, which was much warmer than we were expecting, and not pleasant (but didn’t spoil the holiday, so we’ll manage if WDW turns out to be similar in temperature, which it probably will!)

*not including petrol though
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025

Edited at 08:39 AM.
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List