Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Nov 17, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes Do go. It will be precious time with your children and time to show you are still very much a big part of their lives. Of course it will be hard for you emotionally but try to focus on fun with the kids. They will be a handful at those ages but schedule rest time by the pool and make sure they don't get overtired too much as that is usually when kids start to play up. Remember that would happen if there were 2 parents as well so don't feel guilty if they get grizzly, it's natural with children even when they are in Disney 😀. I agree it will give you and them something good to look forward to. So sorry about the break up for you all.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yes if you don't go you will he so miserable and this will be great fun for everyone amid a difficult situation
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBobby
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I'm sorry to hear of your problems, personally if it was me, I'd be in that plane like a shot, you & the kids will love it!
DisneyBobby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

If you are used to sharing the childcare or your wife does more it probably feels incredibly daunting to think about taking three children solo but August is a long time away and by then you will be very accustomed to taking the kids out for the day and maybe even away for weekends solo even if they are living with your wife rather than a 50/50 arrangement. I think if it's still financially doable ( the first year of separation is very expensive with legal fees and child support as well as finding somewhere to live big enough for not just you but the children when they stay) then you'd probably regret cancelling by the time August comes around.
I'd stick the decision on the back burner for a while but ultimately many single parent families choose to holiday at Disney as it has everything for them.

With regard to time away from Mum, by then the kids will be used to staying overnight with you and you have time for even a couple of dry runs with weekends away ... plus they can always Skype with Mum whilst you are away.

Edited at 01:53 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Is your wife ok with you taking them or has it been decided already ? Could you all go but have separate bedrooms etc so you share the experience with the kids ? Just a thought x
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Is your wife ok with you taking them or has it been decided already ? Could you all go but have separate bedrooms etc so you share the experience with the kids ? Just a thought x
Less than a year into a separation that might be really hard on everyone ... and very confusing for the kids.
I could have done a holiday with my ex and our son in later years, but the first year whilst we were establishing the new dynamics and things were still raw it would have been a disaster.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
debs2028
Imagineer

As a seperated parent of 4 children . I'm not sure it's the right time to be honest .

It's not about you not coping as I absolutely think you will .

I've taken mine away a lot on my own but not the first year we broke up , not for that long and that distance .

I think in a child's mind it will be early days .. They are very young and I can see there being a problem with missing their mum . ( But obviously only the two of you will know that )

An ideal solution would be if you can both still go ?

Otherwise I would be tempted to either rebook for a later date or recoup as much of the cost as possible and do a shorter break to Disneyland Paris .

Sorry if it's not want you want to hear and it is only my personal perspective
debs2028 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Ben

I don't know the dynamics of your separation but I would still go for 3 reasons:

1. If the kids already know about the trip, they will have to put up with the bad news that their life is about to change for ever and also have the disappointment of missing out on a holiday to Florida.

2. I have seen many separations that started on friendly terms quickly go sour. If that was to be the case and it was you who cancelled the holiday, it would then be used against you in the inevitable battle for the kids affections.

3. As people have already said separation is expensive, but if you can still afford it. what better place to have some "you time" with the kids.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Astrid
Imagineer

Astrid's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I took my two kids when they were 3 and 6 during the time that their Dad and I were separating, we should have been going as a family but 10 days before the trip their Dad dropped the bombshell he wasn't coming along.

I was very hesitant at first but my friends persuaded me to go saying even if I just spent the 2 weeks by the pool it would be better than staying at home thinking about what I could have been doing whilst in Orlando.

We had the most brilliant trip, it was hard work at times but I'm so pleased I went. We stayed off site and my six year old son helped me with the directions when I was driving! My two had a ball and still have great memories of that holiday.

Go!

October '89 - Quality Inn; March '99 & March '01 - Comfort Inn LBV; March '02 - ASMu; May '03 - Royal Plaza, Hard Rock & Polynesian;
December '03 - Grand Marriot, Hard Rock & Dolphin; May '04 - Dolphin & WDW Yacht Club
October '05 - Hard Rock & Villa; May/June '07 - Villa & RPH; Feb '09 - Villa; Oct/Nov '13 - Villa
April '18 - Hard Rock; Sept ‘19 - Villa
Astrid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Go Go Go!
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List