Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Feb 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
disney2012
Proud to wear my Ears

Family Trip - October 2019 - Advice Needed!

Hi Everyone,

We're only just starting to plan and (not so patiently!) waiting for 2019 prices to be released so that we can really weigh up our options, so in the meantime I thought I would ask all you lovely experienced people for some advice/input/suggestions

We will be a group of 10 travelling for 2 weeks in October 2019, our group can be broken down in to sub groups (ages what they will be at time of travel):
Room 1 - Our Parents: Dad 57, Mum 54
Room 2 - My Family: Me 31, DH 31 and DS/DD roughly 18 months (due in 6 weeks!)
Room 3 - My Sister's Family: Sister 33, Husband 33, DD1 8, DD2 7 and DS 4

We obviously want to get the best value for all of us, and we definitely all want to stay at the same hotel, so we have a couple of options from what we have gathered:

1. Stay at a moderate resort with QSDP
2. Stay at a value resort and upgrade to QSDP
3. Stay at a value resort and take free breakfast / pay OOP for meals

At the minute I think it's a toss up between AOA and CBR for the room sizes we'll need and current price guidelines. POR could be an option too but not sure if too grown up for the kids and whether it has enough facilities?

We aren't interested in DDP or higher as with the 4 kids QSDP will suit us better (we know and understand that our baby will be classed as an infant and not qualify for QSDP credits).

Are there any other options that we haven't considered? Are there bigger resorts / accommodation options on site that would facilitate a group as big as ours?

Any insights or feedback from others that have done big family group trips with young children would be welcomed!
Disney Coronado Springs Resort (Sep 2012)
Other Trips (Sep ‘07, Dec ‘00/Jan ‘01 & Jun ‘97)
disney2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
dancingbear
Excited about Disney

Mobile

As a family of 5 aoa with an upgrade worked out as more expensive than cbr or por with Qs included.

If you all want separate rooms then I think a moderate would be the best bet. We initially booked cbr and loved the look of it but ended up moving due to all the construction to por. But it may all be much better next year!
dancingbear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post

It could be worth at least benchmarking the prices vs 5 or more bedroom offsite villa - you'd have a lot more space and privacy, at a lower cost. Trade off is the extra 10 minutes or so to the parks, but so many ways of using that dead time.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
disney2012
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Magnificent View Post
It could be worth at least benchmarking the prices vs 5 or more bedroom offsite villa - you'd have a lot more space and privacy, at a lower cost. Trade off is the extra 10 minutes or so to the parks, but so many ways of using that dead time.
It's really staying onsite that we're looking for. It's all of the kids first visit and we really want to go all out with the magic Disney experience, dining etc. It's just trying to work out the best way to do it.

We've stayed in villas before, but for us we prefer the Disney element and understand that we'll pay more for this.
disney2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
In theory POR should have more facilities than AoA, as it's a higher grade. If I was going to choose, with your extended family dynamic, it would be POR or POFQ: All the moderates (apart from CSR that has a gym) have the same facilities but in Port Orleans case you are a short boat ride from Disney Springs, especially handy as I know from experience with CBR, everything is a car or bus journey.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
disney2012
Proud to wear my Ears

Yeah from looking so far it is really only CBR and POR that come up in search results for moderates - guess that's because of my sister's need for 5 in one room?

Impatiently awaiting Disney releasing the 2019 prices so that we can weigh up our options - we're leaning towards a moderate right now, but ultimately price will pay a part alongside every other factor!
Old 12 Feb 18, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
blainy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

What about one of the tree houses? Is it SSR or OKW?
BC 2019
blainy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
dancingbear
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney2012 View Post
Yeah from looking so far it is really only CBR and POR that come up in search results for moderates - guess that's because of my sister's need for 5 in one room?

Impatiently awaiting Disney releasing the 2019 prices so that we can weigh up our options - we're leaning towards a moderate right now, but ultimately price will pay a part alongside every other factor!
Yeah that’ll be why. We are a family of 5 - cbr and por were definitely the most affordable options that included quick service dining x
dancingbear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
dancingbear
Excited about Disney

Mobile

It might work out a bit cheaper overall at all star music with an upgraded dining? Only one room would need to be the family suite. Depends if you’re all paying separately. For us as 5 it was only a tiny bit more to stay in a moderate than asm so we decided to do that
Old 13 Feb 18, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
LottiesLot
Excited about Disney

We are a family of 5. We stayed last year at AoA. It was fantastic for us. We were in a suite in the finding nemo section top floor lake view. The room size was great for us and worked really well with the ages of our 3 girls who were 8, 6 and 4 years. The pools there are great for kids, the theming is wonderful, the food court was very good. Transportation was great loads of frequent buses and only 20 mins from magic kingdom. I would highly recommend it. It might be called 'value' but it's a much higher standard than I expected (I was thinking premier inn). Being able to put the kids to bed then sit in our ensuite room watching TV with a beer was great. You and your parents could stay in the little mermaid section and if your sis chose lion king you wouldn't be far away from each other and could use the lovely quiet little mermaid pool together. We paid for the DDP as we went at Easter so no free dining. It would honestly have done my head in to be in one room with 3 kids for 2 weeks.
LottiesLot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List