Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 21 Nov 17, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
I think the problem is that they can't by law which of course leads to abuse. Disney changed their system following some blatant abuse... families paying someone disabled to go with them so they could get the pass...the new system of being in a virtual queue seems to have stopped that scam

edition.cnn/travel/articl...ges/index.html
I know of a family of 6 who hired a wheelchair for a perfectly fit person so they could all "jump the queue" as they said. This was with the old system. It makes my blood boil. All having a blue badge allows at disney is to get a closer parking space. If families are so lazy that they cant walk a few extra yards and possibly deny a genuine person a space they obviously dont have a conscience.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post

Well if I'd heard them then I would have called them out on it and loudly too. Think I wouldn't? then ask the guy who parked his sports car in a disabled spot and ran into the Post Office what I did to him in front of everyone.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FairyNuff View Post
Well if I'd heard them then I would have called them out on it and loudly too. Think I wouldn't? then ask the guy who parked his sports car in a disabled spot and ran into the Post Office what I did to him in front of everyone.
Two interpretations ..
1 "Just say he's got Aspergers". Scumbag Father

2 "Just say he has got Aspergers "..and don't worry about adding he also has other issues like dyspraxia, epilepsy etc (just trying to keep things simple)

I intensely dislike the assumptions self righteous but clueless people can make about my son's disabilities . Yes there are scumbags around but there's also parents working hard to do the best for their kids who get "called out" unfairly. It's both offensive and upsetting when it happens and I've learned not to ignore it but firmly and loudly correct such ignorance <end rant>
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
bloominadversit
Getting Excited

Obviously we can’t read tone on here, but is there a chance their son has complex or poorly defined needs and Aspergers is the easiest way to describe hence the wording?

Either way, abusing any system like this would make me so cross to see in person.

Edited at 12:47 AM.
bloominadversit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 12:57 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Well unfortunately as the law doesn't allow them to ask for proof the system is open to abuse and always will be..

The old system was badly abused and I've no doubt this one is too...I've seen posts on some pages where people are boasting they've got the pass and don't have to queue.. I know of one lady that can do full on park days every single day walking around,I think she said she was doing on average 20000 steps a day but when it comes to queuing she needed a pass.. funny that..

Its a shame some people have no morals...
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 01:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Ebony
Imagineer

Ebony's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
This makes me so angry. I have a son with Cystic Fibrosis, who is sadly to ill to travel now.
I wonder how this couple, who are willfully lying about their Son/Daughter would feel, if one of their kids had a genuine reason/illness to need the card.
What is that old saying "walk in my shoes for a day"
I really wish some people could, before they Cheat, Moan or Deceive others. :angry: :angry::angry:
WDW 1998 and once or twice most years since. DW 2005; DLP1993. CRUISES:- Disney- Magic Caribbean 2008/11, Med'10, WBTA 2010/11; Disney Wonder Panama 2013 & 2017] Other Ships - Ncl Jade & Epic; P&O Azura, MSC Divina, Thomson x2, Princess x4,
2019:- Cruises on Hal Statendam April 2wks, DCL Fantasy Sept 2wks. 2020 July-Celebrity Millenium 2wks
Ebony is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 03:44 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

I personally wouldn't rely too much on the colleague's story. Too many of the simple facts are wrong for a start. There is no form to fill in for a DAS and a disabled badge doesn't get you free parking as already mentioned.

US disability law prevents places like Disney from asking for "proof". The cast member may well read a letter if you hand it to them but that might be because they think you don't want to speak publicly about your needs.

As already mentioned the system no longer lets you skip lines, just wait "virtually" to avoid a situation that is stressful or even dangerous for some people.

It isn't always as easy as some people think to decide if someone else is disabled. If it wasn't for my daughter's leg braces I wonder how many people would think she wasn't really disabled when they saw her in her wheelchair since she "looks fit and healthy".

People might also think she wrongly has a DAS for being a wheelchair user when they see us using it as it isn't for mobility issues. That would be a wrong assumption as well because her autism and severe social anxiety are a hidden disability (most of the time).
Old 22 Nov 17, 04:42 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
I personally wouldn't rely too much on the colleague's story. Too many of the simple facts are wrong for a start. There is no form to fill in for a DAS and a disabled badge doesn't get you free parking as already mentioned.

US disability law prevents places like Disney from asking for "proof". The cast member may well read a letter if you hand it to them but that might be because they think you don't want to speak publicly about your needs.

As already mentioned the system no longer lets you skip lines, just wait "virtually" to avoid a situation that is stressful or even dangerous for some people.

It isn't always as easy as some people think to decide if someone else is disabled. If it wasn't for my daughter's leg braces I wonder how many people would think she wasn't really disabled when they saw her in her wheelchair since she "looks fit and healthy".

People might also think she wrongly has a DAS for being a wheelchair user when they see us using it as it isn't for mobility issues. That would be a wrong assumption as well because her autism and severe social anxiety are a hidden disability (most of the time).
I agree with everything you say. What business is it of ours to question people's disabilities. They can not always be seen. It's when people openly abuse the system it annoys me. I used to work for the NHS where a girl sold disabled badges would you believe! You had to contact her through a friend of a friend to order one but one of the porters showed me one he had for some one and was on his way to drop it off!
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Agree there is a tension between righteous anger at people who are genuinely abusing the system, and bearing in mind that not all disabilities are visible.

We have a similar problem at work - people were using the disabled toilet who did not need to, and disabled colleagues flagged it up as a problem. (We are a large office with a very small number of toilets per floor.) So a notice went up saying 'this facility is for disabled staff only'. Then a woman with IBS (who uses the general toilets but if there is a big queue, uses the disabled one) said she was working from home as she couldn't bear to come into the office. Every time she used the disabled toilet, people were telling her off because they didn't know why she did it. Obviously we would not want everyone to know. So what do you do? We now have a sign saying 'Not all disabilities are visible'.

Similarly, people often criticise park guests who use a scooter, assuming because they are overweight, they are lazy rather than disabled. Having gone round a crowded MK with a friend in an ECV, they are hard work! I cannot imagine why anyone would use one who did not actually need it. It took us half an hour to get up Main Street, with a hot, heavy ECV that limits where you can stop, with people running across our path, pushing and shoving us and shouting at him. I will always give people the benefit of the doubt.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
They might just have been discussing what to say? Both my boys have autism and we get a DAS pass. One of my sons you wouldn't know he has ASD and it could have been me and my husband in the queue discussing what to say to the person behind the desk. You dont need a Dr letter they are not allowed to ask for proof.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020

Edited at 08:51 AM.
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List