Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 21 Nov 17, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
LaraB
Apprentice Imagineer

LaraB's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
This seems a bit naughty

My hubby told me tonight that a colleague has just returned from Orlando and when he was in the queue at City Hall, MK, they were waiting to get a queue pass for his son with Cystic Fibrosis. The couple in front of him were waiting too, with their son, and he heard the man say to his wife "just say he's got aspergers." When it was their turn at the desk, they said their son had aspergers and were asked to complete a form, then were given a pass.

I was under the impression that in order to get such a pass, you needed a Dr's note or letter to explain the condition, rather than just being able to complete Disney's form.

My hubby's colleague also said one day they forgot to take the blue badge with them for the car, so just waved the clock bit at the parking assistant and was just waved through for free.

Has anyone else heard of this?
Lindfields 2008 Coronado Springs 2010,
Lindfields 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2022
LaraB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Unfortunately yes. They're not allowed to ask for proof of medical conditions, so there will be people that take the p.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Mjspin
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Agreed. There are unfortunately some people who take advantage, though Disney designed the advantage to be a little less attractive than the previous scheme. The new scheme means you can hold your place in a queue without having to physically wait in that queue whereas the previous system enables you to simply jump to the front of every queue.
We have used the DAS on our last two visits as a member of our family has a health issue that means they will pass out if they stand still for any considerable length of time. We did notice a slight difference in that we were asked what was wrong this year whereas on the previous visit they didn’t ask anything.
Mjspin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

As above you will find many still abusing the system.

Disabled Parking isn't free at the theme parks so I'm confused about forgetting the Blue badge and just waving the clock and driving through...
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie boy 57
Imagineer

Geordie boy 57's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by coggie View Post
As above you will find many still abusing the system.

Disabled Parking isn't free at the theme parks so I'm confused about forgetting the Blue badge and just waving the clock and driving through...
I thought you could not use the blue badge anymore and you had to apply for a disabled parking permit from the county tax office and pay a $17 fee
I've already had the form sent to me by them which we have to send back 6 weeks before we travel along with a photocopy of my wife's passport and a photo copy of her blue badge
2018 3 weeks Dibb villa/1 night Clearwater/1 night RPR
2023 Christmas/New Year. Clearwater/Dibb villa/HRH
Geordie boy 57 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Geordie boy 57 View Post
I thought you could not use the blue badge anymore and you had to apply for a disabled parking permit from the county tax office and pay a $17 fee
I've already had the form sent to me by them which we have to send back 6 weeks before we travel along with a photocopy of my wife's passport and a photo copy of her blue badge
Actually I forgot that, you are correct but I have seen UK blue badges used at the theme parks but they are risking a fine if they use them elsewhere.

The disabled parking permit is very good and just fits onto the internal mirror so it can be clearly seen. Also if you did travel back there within a year they supply another one free of charge.

Just back to what the OPs colleague said, I'm surprised that they parked without paying at any park
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
electo
Imagineer

it spoils it for everyone :angry:
i am disabled but i dont class my self as disabled
i que up like everyone else
i dont get a parking spot near the front

i think they should start asking for proof before they hand out the passes
2012/16/18 rosen inn at pointe orlando
2024 storey lake villa
electo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Really naughty things like that make my blood boil 😡
Old 21 Nov 17, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by electo View Post
it spoils it for everyone :angry:
i am disabled but i dont class my self as disabled
i que up like everyone else
i dont get a parking spot near the front

i think they should start asking for proof before they hand out the passes
I think the problem is that they can't by law which of course leads to abuse. Disney changed their system following some blatant abuse... families paying someone disabled to go with them so they could get the pass...the new system of being in a virtual queue seems to have stopped that scam

edition.cnn/travel/articl...ges/index.html
Old 21 Nov 17, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
sophie1405
Imagineer

When i went in august we took a letter anyways to explain to them why a DAS was needed, and the lady took it off us and read it.

however people do abuse the system too, we wasn't told to fill no form in though.

x

Can't stay away <3
sophie1405 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List