Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Aug 18, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
IWANT2GO
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile Car Fuel -Not sure what to fill it up with.

Hi,

I am currently driving a hire car from alamo, I will most probably need to fill up fuel in the next day or so, but i'm slightly confused as to what fuel the car takes.

The fuel cap says 'e85 gasoline' is this diesel or petrol or is it another type of fuel? The last thing i want to do is put the wrong fuel in there. Thanks
IWANT2GO is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
99.99999999% certain it will be petrol (gas). Use the lowest (cheapest) octane.

Mick
Old 16 Aug 18, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

This is ethanol, cheaper. I had a mini bus that took this the other year. I didn't even realise until near the end of the holiday, I'd just been putting 87 in, then I twigged and filled up on e85. You can usually use normal gasoline (petrol) also but fill up on the ethonal instead if they have it as it's a lot cheaper. The speedways often have it. It will probably say flexfuel or something similar also. Standard petrol is 87 you'll very likely be able to use that as no car would be viable ethnol only (99.9% sure you'll be able to use regular). If it says flexfuel also, you are good to go. Use the 85 (also known as biofuel 85 or just ethonal 85 ) if you do see it, you'll save.

Edited at 05:00 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
IWANT2GO
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated. 👍
IWANT2GO is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by IWANT2GO View Post
Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated. 👍
Not sure if it's your first time driving but if you want to pay cash for your gas you'll need to go into the kiosk first and say "$30 on pump 6 please". Go back to the pump and it will cut out at $30. If it only takes $28 you go back inside and they will give you the $2 back.

You can of course use a CC but we never do.

Mick
Old 16 Aug 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Many stations charge a higher rate for Credit Card sales. They can have issues with these pre-load cards as well, so cash as described above just takes any hassle (other than having to go into the cashier) out of it.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
MOONCHESTER
Very Serious Dibber

MOONCHESTER's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
After the first fill up, you will gain confidence on the process too!
MOONCHESTER is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Many stations charge a higher rate for Credit Card sales. They can have issues with these pre-load cards as well, so cash as described above just takes any hassle (other than having to go into the cashier) out of it.
In addition, gas stations have a reputation in the area for cloning your card so always just pay in cash

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Andy0502
Excited about Disney

Just watch the colour of the handle on the filling nozzle too.

It’s the opposite way to ours - Black for Petrol and Green for Diesel. I very nearly made an expensive mistake a couple of weeks ago.
Andy0502 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Andy0502 View Post
Just watch the colour of the handle on the filling nozzle too.

It’s the opposite way to ours - Black for Petrol and Green for Diesel. I very nearly made an expensive mistake a couple of weeks ago.
And at some of the older gas stations you have to lift a lever up as well after you take the nozzle out. Not seen that on the newer Race Trac and Wawa gas stations though.

Just to add that ATMs at Wawa don't charge for cash withdrawals.

Mick