Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Aug 18, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post

17 year old travelling with us!

My sons 17 year old girlfriend is coming on holiday with us in October and I'm wondering if she'll need any kind of permission from her parents to enter US. Has anyone travelled with kids that aren't your own or could somebody point me in the right direction to find out. My local travel agent weren't any help. TIA
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

You should have at least permission in case she needs medical treatment and her insurance details as well
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
You should have at least permission in case she needs medical treatment and her insurance details as well
This at a minimum. Also remember that, God forbid, if something should happen your insurance would need to cover one of the adults in your party to either stay with her or return early.

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

A letter signed from her parents (include passport numbers of parents) at the very least agreeing for you to take her out the country, but also medical treatment and if you are doing Discovery Cove - you MUST take this letter saying that you have legal responsibility while she is there and that you can give the go ahead on medical treatment. Or she won’t be able to swim.

I’ve taken my sister twice (13 and 15 on each trip) and without that letter they wouldn’t let her swim. It didn’t say anything about her going to DC just that I had responsibility and could agree to medical treatment if needed.

The only other time I had a problem was getting back into Heathrow where I had a very grumpy immigration officer and questioned everything. Our dad was the other side of the door waiting to pick us up!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Worth remembering the age of consent in Orlando is 18 so you might have problems with hotels allowing them to be in the same room as they are not related.

Similarly they will need to remain "well behaved" whilst abroad otherwise you can be charge for facilitating the breaking of the law. (They will likely get away with it as they are both minors but you will still be in deep do-do for facilitating the offence)

Not saying they will - I know I would have at that age though so I'm just judging others by my own standards
Old 24 Aug 18, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

At 17yrs old I holidayed with friends alone - she’s old enough to be married and/or living in her own home.

I’m really surprised at these responses...
Enchanted is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gally1968
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

You might be surprised, but my understanding is that you at least need a note from a parent giving authority to take the child abroad. This would include responsibility for authorising medication/treatment should it be required. When we took our sons friends we got letters signed by a notary to ensure we were covered for all parties sakes.

Each country has its own laws & peculiarities, what’s acceptable in other countries has no bearing on what’s acceptable in the USA & vice versa.
Old 24 Aug 18, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mykl_61
Excited about Disney

Google it. According to some sites if the person is under 18 and travelling internationally they may require a signed letter from one or both parents/ guardians. Might as well get one and leave it in hand luggage just in case.
mykl_61 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
At 17yrs old I holidayed with friends alone - she’s old enough to be married and/or living in her own home.

I’m really surprised at these responses...
The issue is the law in the US (which is a different country and has very different laws)

In the US you can't treat a child (their definition is 18) without their parent or guardians permission - the fact they are UK citizens doesn't change that rule

Equally they can't touch alcohol (never mind actually consume it) until they are 21

They also can't do the sort of things you are allowed to do as partners in the UK at 16 until you are 18 in the US

We aren't being prudish or judgemental or sticks in the mud - we are highlighting the legal differences between the two countries
Old 24 Aug 18, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
The fact is that the laws in many countries, including the US, is that for any medical procedures parental/guardian consent is required for under 18s, and in the US especially, they simply will not do any procedure without it, fear of being sued for everything they have.

Floridavisitor is also correct on the age of consent. It's their country, their laws, we, as visitors are required to follow them. They have been know to convict adults for letting under 21s drink in the privacy of a villa even though they are allowed drink in their home country.

Whether she lives on her own or they were married, the laws are the same, only difference would be her husband could make the medical decisions (but even then he might have to be over 18, not sure about that, wouldn't surprise me)

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List