Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Oct 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Kate82
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Thanks, again, really helpful advice.

It seems I will likely only need a few days at Universal. I was going to get the disney and universal package (think it covers you for 14 days) and it's about £2600, makes it feel less good value if only a few days will be spent there. Is there a cheaper/better way of doing it?
Old 16 Oct 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kate82 View Post
Thanks, again, really helpful advice.

It seems I will likely only need a few days at Universal. I was going to get the disney and universal package (think it covers you for 14 days) and it's about £2600, makes it feel less good value if only a few days will be spent there. Is there a cheaper/better way of doing it?
We went for the first time in May we just did Disney ( I'm not willing to pay for 2 sets of tickets per holiday personally) ...with the intention to do Universal next time...we booked Disney again lol but will only do Disney parks and then Universal is definitely next. Only doing one set of parks will make it cheaper we went for 21 days and still didn't do it all at Disney so 1 set of tickets will definitely keep you occupied
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
kev007
Imagineer

kev007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi Kate and welcome to the Dibb

Great saving on the flights, allows more spends in the parks and shops

We are just back from two weeks in Orlando; first went in 2004 and been back most years since. Once you go, you will want to go back and back - I promise!

To answer your questions -

1. Haven't used Touring Plans, you might find all the info you need here

2. I'd say two days at Epcot and MK, one day at HS and possibly one and a half days at AK (can be done in one day but if you want to see all the shows etc, probably need an additional half day). One day at US and IoA, especially given the long opening hours in August. Are you going to Sea World?

3. Not done Volcano Bay but looks good. Also not done by BB but apparently very good for rides. Have been to TL and was impressed, lovely wave pool and lazy river there. There's also Aquatica near Sea World which is good as well.

4. As you are staying off site, there is no need to have magic bands but they are useful and look cool!

5. Miami is quite a drive from Orlando (around 240 miles). The Kennedy Space Centre is very good and not too far away. Not done any trips to the Everglades.

6. Don't try and do everything otherwise you will start to flag - it will be hot! Build in some time chilling out, shopping etc.

7. Not hired a car so can't help with that one although plenty of Dibbers will be able to make suggestions.

8. Depending on your flight times, getting through immigration (don't forget your ESTAs ), getting the car, driving to your villa, unpacking etc, going to a park on your first day might be feasible, probably look for the fireworks.

9. Don't be afraid to ask any questions here - everyone is very friendly and loads of very knowledgeable Dibbers

Happy planning

Kev

kev007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 18, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

We think touring plans is well worth the small subscription and it can create plans that reduce queuing but to do this to the max you either need to stick to the timings ie if they say get to Peter Pan For 0930 and you get delayed to 1000 it does have a knock on effect and make much if the plan not work. You can knock something out so if you have Peterson at 0930 and then it’s a small world 1015 and thunder mountai. At 1100 and you don’t get off of Peter Pan until 1030 skip it’s a small world.

The other issue we had with touring plans is that we did not factor in the heat and how tired we would be on our first plans and we could not keep up with pace that we/TP had set.

We will be in Disney California in 19 days and have TP for that third time we have used them.

I would also add that if you are only going for 2 weeks there is enough at Disney to completely fill your time particularly if you are nit staying on-site

Edited at 01:30 PM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 18, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
We have been to the Everglades and Miami when we first went to Florida. They were good but not to do in one day -its a long old drive to either!

Car hire - best going over to the "car hire and transportation" forum https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226. Its full of good advice.

Not been to Universal since 2000 but I believe its quite good now (it was rubbish in 2000 although Islands of Adventure was good). We like to go to Seaworld and Busch Gardens instead. If your kids like coasters then Busch Gardens is well worth the drive over to Tampa. But if you are doing Disney and Universal you might not have time for these parks too.

You can get a 14 day pass for Seaworld, Busch Gardens and Aquatica for about £100 a person.

Edited at 03:10 PM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 18, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

One option for a non park day is a trip to Tampa for one of their sports teams especially as you are staying Tampa side. If August then most likely baseball. As we go in Oct or Nov we have done American football and ice hockey and both were excellent.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 18, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi Kate and welcome ! As others have mentioned, the Everglades is a bit far for a day trip, but you can go on an airboat ride nearer to Orlando. We’ve done Boggy Creek (bigger company, enjoyable, closer to the parks,) and Ray’s Rides (small local one-man band, a bit further out, awesome). You are so lucky to be going - enjoy the planning and the holiday.

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

As your kids are 16 and 21, I'd get them involved in planning - is there a "must do" ride for them? (I suspect that Flights of Passage would be it, but there might be something else that they want). The Fastpasses are difficult to get for FOP if you are offsite, but if you can't get them and you want to rope drop AK to get to FOP (accepting a bit of a queue), I'd aim to do that early in your stay, while you still are waking up early and have energy. Standing in a 2-3 hour queue is never great, but doing it when you are fresh, rather than tired and footsore, is preferable.

Happy planning, and please ask as many questions as you like here.
returnplanning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Forgot to mention, if your kids like thrill rides/roller coasters then Universal will be a lot of fun for them - as others have said 1 night on site to get FOTL passess is woth it's weight in gold at busy times.
returnplanning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Simba2014
Excited about Disney

On the touring plans front, some may say its not needed, but I love it and have a subscription to both the WDW and Universal parts, although the WDW ones are more comprehensive. While you may get some basic touring plans for free in books and online, the tools and premium plans are definitely worth it.

We leave in 2 weeks, and it's been a great help with booking the best fastpasses, and then you can pick a plan such as a one day family visit to MK, and then add your fastpasses in. It'll then give you a fully optimised plan of your day and you can select to minimise waiting in queues, minimise walking or a balance between the two. You can add stops and breaks as you need for your family and it'll do the painful stuff of planning what to do when. You can also use the lines app to follow your plan and mark it off as you go about your day. Some may feel this is a bit too much planning like your husband does, but I find it great for minimising times and getting a plan without having to dedicate yourself to research or worry about missing attractions.

Edited at 10:55 AM.
Simba2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List